Thread: Disappearing guns and non-hollow squares

Default Disappearing guns and non-hollow squares

My soldier's guns disappear when they form a square to repel calvary. Happens when the computer forms square as well.

Squares are non-hollow...ie just a big block of men. Similar to how Austria's squares always are, but this time it doesn't matter which faction I play.

Anyone else have this problem?

Default Re: Disappearing guns and non-hollow squares

theybannedmusic: its a workaround. Instead of hollow square which is too thin (2 ranks) i have used Pike square. But because Pike square has different animation definitions, and it require pikes, soldiers are shown without weapons if idle.. Anyway once they are in active state (enemy is close) you will get proper animation with them firing and reloading.

I have decided to use full square because it doesnt have any hardcoded anti-cavalry bonuses applied. Plus, hollow square was not that commonly used in 18.century, as in the beginning, cavalry was not relying on shock action, but more on ranged combat firing pistols, while infantry received them in long lines just fine. Only much later, when light cavalry started appearing in Europe with their shock action tactics, while maneuvering unit to attack infantry from flanks, most of nations developed some sort of anti-cavalry formations, which depends on unit type. Hollow Square was just a formation where all Battalion companies deployed in 3 ranks placed in square,where each side had two companies. Anyway even closed column was often used (where all 6 companies just shortened distance)..

i belive the term for a non hollow square was a rally square,and was more used to protect the colours than to specificaly fend off cavalry.

Given the limitations of ETW I think it's a good work around.

btw, because it looks like i have managed to solve the hollow square hardcoded bonuses issue, they will return in next version, but only as a late 18.century tech..

Quote Originally Posted by leonn View Post
    i belive the term for a non hollow square was a rally square,and was more used to protect the colours than to specificaly fend off cavalry.
    AFAIK rallying squares, at least in the napoleonic context, were meant to provide protection against cavalry for troops that had lost order. An hollow square was formed out of companies/peletons that would maneuver into position. A rallying square would be formed by troops ordering themselves around a central core (which could indeed be the colors, but lacking that an officer making himself obvious would do), regardless of parent unit.