View Poll Results: Is America the Greatest Superpower in HISTORY?

Voters
395. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

119 30.13%
  • No

251 63.54%
  • Not Sure

25 6.33%
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast

Thread: Is America the Greatest Superpower in History?

cenkiss's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Is America the Greatest Superpower in History?

Roman Empire was not that much of a superpower.

Alsatian's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Pious Agnost View Post
    Why only up to 2001? The United States has Aircraft Carriers that could fight wars with entire nations
    Because after 2001, the growing political, military and economical power of Russia, China and others made it more of a multi-polar world. Whereas in 1991 the US could do as it wish,from 2001, with the Arab world against it, with Russia and China more willing to throw their weight around, American power has been somewhat diminished.

Pious Agnost's Avatar Praefectus

I see, fair enough

Irish King's Avatar Campidoctor

I say yes because America can pretty much control any country they want(if they choe to which they probably won't) using their naval power. They could easily beat any nations navy then stop any and all sea trade from going to that country.

DAVIDE's Avatar QVID MELIVS ROMA?

Quote Originally Posted by bushbush View Post

USA>Rome if you wanna compare who is more qualified to be a superpower of the WORLD, not just ur own little corner.
    well.. we are always talking about "known world". Known world was the mediterranean corner in ancient times. World term is relative to circumstances
    Last edited by DAVIDE; July 05, 2009 at 07:07 AM.

Pious Agnost's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by davide.cool View Post
    well.. we are always talking about "known world". Known world was the mediterranean corner to ancient Europeans. World term is relative to circumstances
    Good point, but I made a small correction

Lysimachos11's Avatar Biarchus

I voted no, I think the British Empire was the Greatest Power in History, for mainly two reasons:

-In the days of the British Empire her power was enormous, but a lot of other European countries actively challenged this power, restricting GB. In the present-day American case, they are the only one trying to force their will around while most other great powers (mostly Europeans) have evolved into more peace-minded nations. Basically American global power is entirely by the other nations consent, not because they forced bases onto foreign territory (in most cases).

-Technology is giving the Americans the power to project their force and influence around the world, but technology is also what breaks these efforts. Modern precision weapons are the most dangerous in history, but improvised explosives give individuals far greater potential to do damage than ever before. Technology will probably never be able to defeat Guerilla, looking at the past centuries of small wars.

Another thing, imagine how historians in a few centuries would look back on the American position right now. It is most likely to be assessed as an opportunistic power, which became strong after all other powerful nations received severe blows in WW2. The world up to the 1990's is likely to be seen as the Post-WW2 period in which the shattered nations of WW2 rebuild their strength, with one of them breaking apart. Most victims of WW2 (France, Great Britain, Germany) turn to peaceful nations striving to prevent conflict whenever possible, while the US, unharmed from WW2 and unfamiliar with its horrors continues the more archaic imperialistic road, covered in a sweet layer of spreading democracy and freedom. Then the 1990-2001 period will be seen as the American decade, abruptly ending with the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq, right now leading to the financial crises in the US. Noone knows what will follow, the US could stay the numer one power for 100 years, or lose that power within 25.
    Last edited by Lysimachos11; July 05, 2009 at 08:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seneca
    "By the efforts of other men we are led to contemplate things most lovely that have been unearthed from darkness and brought into light; no age has been denied to us, we are granted admission to all, and if we wish by greatness of mind to pass beyond the narrow confines of human weakness, there is a great tract of time for us to wander through."

lol out the Romaphilles.

Even China wasn't a superpower in the medieval era. No, the United States is in fact the greatest Superpower in history, because of its immense technological advantage, and economic dominance. However, the 21st century has only just begun, and China is capable of overtaking the United States.
    Who knows, in 90 years our kids might be on TWC debating something earily similiar.

Is China the Greatest Superpower in History?

AMERICA is by far the weakest 'superpower' in history.

Why? I shall tell you.

They are completely bound by public opinion. If their people dislike something, then they cannot do it. Their hands are tied. They cannot even manipulate public opinion. America is for the most part pathetic.

The Roman Empire, Mongol World Empire, and even the British at least were able to do what would BENEFIT them, rather than follow the will of 'public opinion'.

The US got ing assraped by the VCs, then made themselves 'the great satan' by attacking Iraq and completely messing everything up. Very powerful both economically and militarily, but ruled by a bunch of bunglers, with a very ignorant populace.
    'I'm not interested in preserving the status quo; I want to overthrow it.'

Quote Originally Posted by Machiavelli25 View Post
    AMERICA is by far the weakest 'superpower' in history.

Why? I shall tell you.

They are completely bound by public opinion. If their people dislike something, then they cannot do it. Their hands are tied. They cannot even manipulate public opinion. America is for the most part pathetic.

The Roman Empire, Mongol World Empire, and even the British at least were able to do what would BENEFIT them, rather than follow the will of 'public opinion'.

The US got ing assraped by the VCs, then made themselves 'the great satan' by attacking Iraq and completely messing everything up. Very powerful both economically and militarily, but ruled by a bunch of bunglers, with a very ignorant populace.
    America can't manipulate public opinion, are you fracking kidding? The Iraq War, for one. Another I can think of, is the conditioning of American citizins for an eventual war with China.

The Iraq war? Perhaps, but no longer. They ed that entire conflict up so bad they will be incapable of doing anything similar for a long time. No idea what you mean by conditioning American citizens for war with China. Hopefully you are just ignorant, and not retarded.

For America to be a truly great superpower, they should do away with democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chukada1 View Post
    America can't manipulate public opinion, are you fracking kidding? The Iraq War, for one. Another I can think of, is the conditioning of American citizins for an eventual war with China.
    lobbies manipulates the government

The Iraq war? Perhaps, but no longer. They ed that entire conflict up so bad they will be incapable of doing anything similar for a long time. No idea what you mean by conditioning American citizens for war with China. Hopefully you are just ignorant, and not retarded.

For America to be a truly great superpower, they should do away with democracy.
    That because Americans aren't cow dung retarded. However the manipulation got the government what it wanted, a war with Iraq. So victory for manipulation, and defeat for democracy. Regarding the conditioning against China, you haven't seen the CNN specials, Red China Rising? Its the same thing the Americans did against the Soviets. Fearmongering to increase military budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Chukada1 View Post
    That because Americans aren't cow dung retarded. However the manipulation got the government what it wanted, a war with Iraq. So victory for manipulation, and defeat for democracy. Regarding the conditioning against China, you haven't seen the CNN specials, Red China Rising? Its the same thing the Americans did against the Soviets. Fearmongering to increase military budget.
    Not really, all it got America was a depleted oil supply, many dead soldiers which damaged public support, and the loss of the ability to do it again (eg Iran).

America has huge potential, but they are either run by:

A) Pussies
    B) Bunglers

This china/american stuff is unless you can give me examples of brainwashed american citizens.

Not really, all it got America was a depleted oil supply, many dead soldiers which damaged public support, and the loss of the ability to do it again (eg Iran).

America has huge potential, but they are either run by:

A) Pussies
    B) Bunglers

This china/american stuff is unless you can give me examples of brainwashed american citizens.
    Did you read my post?

It got the government what it wanted. A war with Iraq.

Yes i read your post.

They did indeed get a war with Iraq, but if they had handled it in even a slightly intelligent manner they would still be in the position to invade other countries. They used their, 'invade a country' card, you might say.

And besides, are they now not leaving Iraq due to public opinion? Pretty amusing stuff.

Yes i read your post.

They did indeed get a war with Iraq, but if they had handled it in even a slightly intelligent manner they would still be in the position to invade other countries. They used their, 'invade a country' card, you might say.
    I always laugh at this. Is American politics really equillevent to a deck of cards?

No its overly complicated and mostly dependant on public opinion and big business. You simply dont have enough control over both of these to be considered the greatest superpower ever.

Again, America has great potential for dominance, but they will never use it.

In addition, you have a populace who voted in Obama because he said 'change'. Its no wonder the average American politician is a bit on the slow side if their average citizen is like this. Theres a guy who lives near me who constantly asks for spare 'change'. Perhaps the American public would vote for him too. Very amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Volh Vseslavich View Post
    Roman Empire:
    To be a greatest superpower to have to have influence of the rest of the world: Rome did not. I think America was definitely the greatest superpower, but not the greatest "empire" ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Godless Pickle View Post
    To be a greatest superpower to have to have influence of the rest of the world: Rome did not.
    Sure, Rome did not influence a bunch of indios living in "America". And the conquest of primitive indios homeland in the middle of nowhere, could've influenced Rome? in what? bananas exportations towards imperium romanum? it's a nonsense in the same way of your post. The richest countries known by Romans, were in mediterranean basin. The others outside that, were simply a waste of human/financial roman state resources. Or the so called "the game is not worth the candle"
    Last edited by DAVIDE; July 05, 2009 at 12:18 PM.