View Poll Results: Is America the Greatest Superpower in HISTORY?

Voters
395. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

119 30.13%
  • No

251 63.54%
  • Not Sure

25 6.33%
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: Is America the Greatest Superpower in History?

Hippolord's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Is America the Greatest Superpower in History?

I have a feeling that will simply be another anti-america thread.

I Voted yes, half to piss off the anti-americans and half because there are few countries which have ever come so close to taking over the world. (Yes Britain is one of them)

I wanna lie, lie to myself, myself and someone else. Cause it’s the lying that hurts, and it’s the hurt that lets me know I’m alive.”

Also, technically, there have only been 3 superpowers in history. The USSR, the British Empire, and the USA.

Randarkmaan's Avatar Senator
    Currently on a merchant trip in the remote, barbaric lands to the North

When will people see this? Rome was not a super power, though it was certainly a great power, and one of the most significant throughout history to boot. What people fail to realize is that the notion of a "super power" is a modern phenomenon, one which entails global power (economic, military, cultural and political) and the ability to project it on a global scale. This by itself has only been possible in modern times because of the increased global communication and trade (econmic and cultural globalization) that has taken place from the late 19th century because of technological advances in communications and transportation.
    "Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right"
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent"
    Salvor Hardin, from Foundation by Isaac Asimov

Sevasti's Avatar Biarchus
    They tell me it's a regular building but it sways like a house of cards when the wind blows

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    I'm talking about actual power, not British thinking that they still matter because at one point they governed over thirteen colonies in North America.
    Well I wasn't talking about British influence in particular either, I was thinking in bigger perspectives.

I argue from the basis that the might of superpowers should take their influence in consideration since that is a part of power. If you don't acknowledge that I can accept it but then, discussing which superpower was the greatest in history seems kind of pointless since new technology trumps old.

Et sekund er som et minutt her inne
    Minutt som en time. Time som et døgn
    Og du trur du ser ting å så klart
    Eg seier ikkje ett ord til før eg får en advokat

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by mkesadaran View Post
    Well is it? America could basically steamroll 90+% of all countries in the world in a conventional war. It's ability to project force anywhere in the globe in unheard of. Huge influence economically. Military bases worldwide in foreign independent nations.
    In history? Nah, I'd peg that as Britain.
    But the US is a close second, though. And currently the only superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by Salem1 View Post
    A war in which nukes are involved cannot be won by either side, it can only be lost by humanity.
    Actuly the side with the most nukes wins.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximiIian View Post
    But the US is a close second, though. And currently the only superpower.
    Well in a land war China would win by sheer force of numbers.
    Last edited by War lord; July 04, 2009 at 11:59 AM.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Simply due to the suffix "in history" I voted no. Obviously if we built a time machine and sent the US Armed Forces back to fight the USSR or the British Empire at their height they'd steamroll the two of them even combined, but that takes things horribly out of context.

Quote Originally Posted by War lord View Post
    No. If I have enough nukes to decimate every square inch of your country it doesn't really matter if you have enough to decimate mine 50 times over, does it?

Only if they know where they all are.

Not necessarily. Strategy does not work like that.

Edward lV's Avatar Campidoctor

Im getting the impression here some people think America finished off the British empire to take the front stage. No.
    If anyone it was the Nazis who ruined the empire. We sacrficed the Empire to stop them Nazis taking over Europe, surly that is great in its own right? Infact, it happened twice. WW1 weakened the Empire and WW2 crushed it. The suez was the final blow to british imperialism.

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by The Pretender View Post
    Im getting the impression here some people think America finished off the British empire to take the front stage. No.
    If anyone it was the Nazis who ruined the empire. We sacrficed the Empire to stop them Nazis taking over Europe, surly that is great in its own right? Infact, it happened twice. WW1 weakened the Empire and WW2 crushed it. The suez was the final blow to british imperialism.
    So you gave up India to stop Hitler's zombie corpse?

Bullcrap the Empire fell apart because of rebelion broght on by expliting the natives.

Bullcrap the Empire fell apart because of rebelion broght on by expliting the natives.
    Rubbish. Prove it. The Empire collapsed because we were given huge loans and bankrupt after the second world war fighting two evil empires.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Randarkmaan's Avatar Senator
    Currently on a merchant trip in the remote, barbaric lands to the North

Well, strictly speaking you can't have anything as a pure land war anymore. And theoretically the US economy and arms industry could be capable of effectively arming a greater number of combatants than China could, so theoretically the US could win by sheer weight of numbers. If they chose to.
    "Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right"
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent"
    Salvor Hardin, from Foundation by Isaac Asimov

Well that's part of it. It's more the Empire becoming generally expensive to maintain, so they let it go gradually over the course of 20 years. You are right, though, that the Suez Crisis was a big blow to British self-directed foreign policy in the Cold War period.

Town Watch's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    I'm talking about actual power, not British thinking that they still matter because at one point they governed over thirteen colonies in North America.

well, you could google this or something, but measured in total area, the British Empire was the largest empire ever in human history. Population was also pretty huge for the time. And the British Empire at its largest was was in 1922 I guess.

Also despite the fact that the Roman Empire was "smallish" in total area, quite a big portion of the world's population at that time were in fact Roman subjects. In wiki there's a figure of 35.3% of world population in 2nd century AD as Roman subjects. Spanish Empire and various forms of Russia including under the Mongol rule are also very strong contenders.

So I guess this isn't as clear cut as we thought it would

Furthermore, it doesn't always matter who's got the most nukes, Soviet Union did have more nukes than USA at times during the Cold War. What matters is method of carrying those nukes to their targets. Soviet ICBM technology for the most part was quite inferior to US missiles. Also miniaturization (smaller warheads with still enough punch, also multiple warheads per missile) and computing tended to be better on the American side.
    "What do I feel when I kill my enemy?"
    -Recoil-

Quote Originally Posted by MaximiIian View Post
    Well that's part of it. It's more the Empire becoming generally expensive to maintain, so they let it go gradually over the course of 20 years. You are right, though, that the Suez Crisis was a big blow to British self-directed foreign policy in the Cold War period.
    The huge distence between the parts of the empire didn't help hold things together ether.

Mithradates's Avatar Domesticus

Rome was the greatest.

Horsa's Avatar Artifex

Only an American would say yes to this poll...

Here is a good list of nations that were far more powerful than you in history:
    Persian Empire
    Alexanders Empire
    Roman Empire
    Huns
    Mongolia
    British Empire
    And many, many more in our future...

EDIT: And don't forget the Papal States who pretty much controlled almost all of the European nations to do what ever they wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mithradates View Post
    Rome was the greatest.
    Back up please.

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Coat View Post
    Only an American would say yes to this poll...

Here is a good list of nations that were far more powerful than you in history:
    Persian Empire
    Alexanders Empire
    Roman Empire
    Huns
    Mongolia
    British Empire
    And many, many more in our future...
    lol. The Huns were more powerful than the US? Okay.