Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rajput generals upkeep

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Icon9 Rajput generals upkeep

Rajput generals upkeep definetely needs to be changed. I started a campaign with them. The generals upkeep are like over 2000 bucks! I know they are tough and everything but it makes the campaign impossible to be played. Generals cant be disbanded in order to save money. If it was possible I would do it. Only the Maharaja and his heir cost me over 5000 bucks a turn. I have disbanded all my army but them and still there is no money. The cost of the armies are since the second turn on higher than earnings. I captured all cities I could (3 ai settlements) but still I wont have enough money. I even refused new generals (the princess, my daughter, is still a virgin, hehehe) in order to avoid costs but still I will end the year screwed. Im like 30000 bucks negative. I suggest you guys keep the upkeep but give them buildings that at least will make it possible for the campaign to be played. I will try the only option left which is abandon all my cities and fight the huge AI army near the Ajner settlement with the king and heir (the only army i have). If it fails the campaign is over.
    Last edited by Strelac; July 20, 2009 at 11:54 AM. Reason: name of thread change

Default Re: Rajput generals upkeep insanely high!!!!!

If you cannot afford to pay 5,000 florins every turn then you probably have too few settlements. Therefore, I think you should try to be more aggressive. The elephant generals are very strong and should allow you to seize several regions very quickly. Furthermore, put up the taxes to the highest level in each of your towns and build economic buildings such as roads and markets. That way, you'll be able to afford an army and generals.
    Last edited by Astaroth; July 18, 2009 at 07:11 PM.
    Curious Curialist curing the Curia of all things Curial.

The question is: From turn 2 on theres is no more money even if I disband all my armies. It is impossible to build anything. I can build one building on the first turn and then thats it, no more money even if I disband the whole army.

wudang_clown's Avatar Fire Is Inspirational

Quote Originally Posted by paradamed View Post
    The question is: From turn 2 on theres is no more money even if I disband all my armies. It is impossible to build anything. I can build one building on the first turn and then thats it, no more money even if I disband the whole army.
    Well, if the debt is inevitable, then don't worry, just conquer more settlements, sack them, get out of debt, and then start to build.

Under the patronage of m_1512

2000 is way too high! In early stage of campaign, cities are small so it's not easy to rely your whole budget on just routing.

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

Go pick a fight with your neighbours and then see why those bad boys get paid so well. Then you'll know whats up.

Yeah, those guys can take a settlement singlehandedly if there are few or no enemy elephants. The thing is, though, you can only be in 2 places at once, and the starting heir has really low loyalty. You can lose this campaign in the 1st 5 turns without even making any mistakes. I'm playing 'em now, and it took me like 10 years to get out of debt, I even trimmed down the starting army a bit and picked a fight with the other Rajputs. I was finally making a profit when they were down to 2 settlements . So you have to blitz like crazy to even get an economy going.

When i played as Ghorid, thoes beasts killed almost 70% of my 800 men army

Ah, I'm guessing you didn't bring enough of those Turcoman light horse (javelin) on that trip eh. Those guys will shred through any number of elephants-generals and all, just make sure you keep skirmish off- they tend to run out of throw range on skirmish mode. Make sure you micro them though, if the eles force you into a melee, be prepared to bid your cavalry good night.

**Retired**

If you want to remove your generals, just send them to some impossible battle with rabbles or opponents. Regarding cost, we changed the cost structure just before releasing the patch. It could be something we didn't' benchmark right....we'll see into.

Quote Originally Posted by Strelac View Post
    If you want to remove your generals, just send them to some impossible battle with rabbles or opponents. Regarding cost, we changed the cost structure just before releasing the patch. It could be something we didn't' benchmark right....we'll see into.
    I am fully against lowering those costs. Simply because they are necessary handicap for the player. And that's very, very good. Without those costs, there would be no starting challenge with Solanki Rajputs.
    For every who is interested, I would like to present my test play with S. Rajputs.

**Retired**

Quote Originally Posted by wudang_clown View Post
    I am fully against lowering those costs. Simply because they are necessary handicap for the player. And that's very, very good. Without those costs, there would be no starting challenge with Solanki Rajputs.
    For every who is interested, I would like to present my test play with S. Rajputs.
    Yeah, I agree. I was more referring to exact measurement of faction's economy based on the units cost. GV is very particular about that, which is another reason, I would suspect the costs as they are, are in fact correct, and that one can actually play the game. Nevertheless, some factions are emant to have challenging campaign.

Dr. Jones's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by wudang_clown View Post
    I agree with Wudang. It is good that some factions are bigger challenge than others. So please keep it the way it is.

I will try a more agressive aproach. I have to say that the Rajput gameplay is definetely very different from all other factions. I agree with you guys about the upkeep of elephants cause they are good at everything (good charge, have ranged attack and are good at close combat) and really deserve a high upkeep. Im just looking for solutions for this tough campaign. I also have to say the units look great. BC is my favorite mod among all Medieval 2 mods!

Quote Originally Posted by paradamed View Post
    Im just looking for solutions for this tough campaign.
    Check my AAR, maybe it will give you some inspiration, I played the mini-campaign on VH/M, and I wasn't even carefull, so I think that there is more to achieve with slightly less costs.

I havent tried on 2.02 yet, but 2.01 Rajput compaign last week was alot of fun, but not very challenging on H/H. That was my firs campaign...started it to get used to playing again.

You can easily take your starter stack and take Anilihvara, Somnath, then Kutch and Mumbai without pausing for more than a turn. That should balance the budget and then some. After Mumbai, run up to Gwalior. At this point you will need to rebuild your army somewhat and take Ajmer. Sign trade agreements with the Omani, and Sindhis, build ports and watch the money roll in. Seriously. Then I swung up north through the Chauhans, solidified and built up two fullish armies. Then I rolled through the Ghorids all the way to Kabul. My main stack has 4-5ish elephant units at all times, the other 3ish. I autoresolve virtually all my battles, and rarely suffer defeat.

I havent notiuced any problems supporting such a bunch of elephants, but it might be my difficulty setting. One thing you dont want to do, is to sack or pillage the starting cities you grab. You need Mumbai and Somnath to grow into port cities quickly, and you are just killing taxable civilians with no need because those cities are easily controlled due to high Hindu religion.

Quote Originally Posted by ToussaintL'Ouverture View Post
    I havent notiuced any problems supporting such a bunch of elephants, but it might be my difficulty setting. One thing you dont want to do, is to sack or pillage the starting cities you grab. You need Mumbai and Somnath to grow into port cities quickly, and you are just killing taxable civilians with no need because those cities are easily controlled due to high Hindu religion.
    And how did you manage to build ports and stuff, when starting expences are on ~5000 level and starting treasury is 5000, no matter on M, H or VH (with small differences)? Conquering settlements doesn't significantly change the situation... Without pillaging there is no income at all. So after first conquered but not looted city there is no way to even reinforce units, not mention building anything. I really wonder, how did you manage it?
    Last edited by wudang_clown; July 19, 2009 at 05:06 PM.

Speaking of Solanki Rajputs bodyguard, I've noticed in custom battle they're called Nagavarika's Guard and the crew are javelinmen while in campaign their name is Raja's Guard and crew are archers. The truth is I was expecting javelinmen.Do you know which should be the right one?. Besides, although in campaign battle crew are clearly archers, the unit stats seem to be for javelinmen (missile 11). Is this a bug?. Thanks in advance.

GrandViZ's Avatar Domesticus

You get higher tax income on lower difficulty levels.

That is hardcoded.
    Creator of the Ultimate AI
    Co-Author of Broken Crescent

Under the Patronage of Trajan

Quote Originally Posted by GrandViZ View Post
    You get higher tax income on lower difficulty levels.

That is hardcoded.
    Yes, but for Solanki R. starting income is on 0 (zero) and expences for M, H and VH are 4877, 4931 and 4976 respectively. I know that the difference is getting bigger along with developing the state economy, but you need money to build, and there is no money with 2 generals costing you c. 4000 and two elephant units costing you c. 1500. That's why I'm asking ToussaintL'Ouverture, how did he manage to play Solanki R. and didn't notice serious difficulties.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast