Thread: Regruitment

Default Regruitment

First I wanna say that this became my favorite mod so deep, it gives you magnificent feeling of how it was (probably) of course in the limits of RTW engine.

I have few suggestions regarding armies...

How 'bout if you could recruit the whole legion in one place, (all units that were actualy making a legion) and for that you need lets say... 8 turns!
    BIT THEN you cannot just spawn units all over the map from every settlements, you are building legions (comitatensies) in designated places , you need time for that, but at the end you have army AND YOU HAVE TO KEEP IT, BECAUSE IF YOU LOOSE BATTLE AND A LOT OF TROOPS, YOU CANNOT JUST REVAMP IT IN 3 TURNS

What do you think?

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Default Re: Regruitment

You will find that you start with these units at the beginning of the game at various locations around the empire. These are the regional field armies. I know there is always the temptation to have palatinae\comitatensis units when we can, but the reality was that these troops were expensive to recruit, took time to train and so had to be taken care of. My aim here is to prevent the abundant use of roll-royce troops. Instead you have to deal with using border troops supported by the filed armies. And use them wisely because they are slow to recruit. This is all part of the gameplay.

But if you want to modify any of this of course you can. You can alter the recruitment times of the elite troops, but it will change the game dynamics, but as I said, it is a personal choice.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by julianus heraclius View Post
    You will find that you start with these units at the beginning of the game at various locations around the empire. These are the regional field armies. I know there is always the temptation to have palatinae\comitatensis units when we can, but the reality was that these troops were expensive to recruit, took time to train and so had to be taken care of. My aim here is to prevent the abundant use of roll-royce troops. Instead you have to deal with using border troops supported by the filed armies. And use them wisely because they are slow to recruit. This is all part of the gameplay.

But if you want to modify any of this of course you can. You can alter the recruitment times of the elite troops, but it will change the game dynamics, but as I said, it is a personal choice.

Cheers
    Actualy I was thinking of sort of IB2 - MTW2 recruitment.... few units (or whole legion) at the same time and for that to take like 8 turns, then all your criterias are satisfied, you have expensive, slow to recruit but mighty army.... if you loose it u are in trouble

And question about the Quadi and Goths..... they are attacking me in endless numbers how come?
    I mean it is probably realistic portraiting of barbarian hordes massively getting in to the empire... BUT my neighbour Valentian lost EVERYTHING IN FEW TURNS, LAS TIME I CHECKED WESTERN EMPIRE WAS GONE IN 20 TURNS.... and we are still in 4 th century

Rome should be stronger much stronger, when ai is playing it.
    Rome has tremendous number of rebelions, why is rome in every starting date in apocaliptic state? It will fall appart in few turns?

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Quote Originally Posted by Edzamon View Post
    And question about the Quadi and Goths..... they are attacking me in endless numbers how come?
    I mean it is probably realistic portraiting of barbarian hordes massively getting in to the empire... BUT my neighbour Valentian lost EVERYTHING IN FEW TURNS, LAS TIME I CHECKED WESTERN EMPIRE WAS GONE IN 20 TURNS.... and we are still in 4 th century

Rome should be stronger much stronger, when ai is playing it.
    Rome has tremendous number of rebelions, why is rome in every starting date in apocaliptic state? It will fall appart in few turns?
    Ah, but that is the challenge. This mod is not for the faint hearted. It is meant to be hard to test both the player's strategic and tactical abilities.

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

People say the dark ages started at the fall of rome. Wrong. It actually started about the dates in the IB mods. Personally, I like to say that the dark ages started when the christians started pushing their weight around in the fourth century.
    So, the imperium breaking up and needing to be stiched back together it probably right.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'

Quote Originally Posted by julianus heraclius View Post

Cheers
    Ok please tell me where should I look to edit recruitment times, and where should I edit rebellion in the cities?

Quote Originally Posted by Edzamon View Post
    Ok please tell me where should I look to edit recruitment times, and where should I edit rebellion in the cities?
    For the first, go to your IJ/data folder, then open the export_descr_unit.txt document. Scroll down, every unit appears in that list. The line you're looking for is stat_cost. The first value showed is the recruitment turns. Just change it to whatever value you like.

Art by Joar