Thread: Help needed with british grenadier model

Default Help needed with british grenadier model

I am trying to replace the default british grenadier model ( the one with the bearskin hat) with the model of the grenadier from toonarmys pack (48th grenadier). I have extract the 3 texture files renamed them for the default british textures ie euro_grenadier_britain_normal/gloss/diffuse but whenI load the game the model used by the british grenadiers is still that with the bearskin.

Because I am going to use a different model (the default prussian grenadier mode) lI am not sure which other files I need to change to get the new model in the game. Any help and advice is appreciated
    Last edited by waldopbarnstormer; July 03, 2009 at 07:32 AM.

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: Help needed with british grenadier model

create a new mod using the three 48th grenadier units and remember to change the 3 files names to euro_grenadier_britain_normal/gloss/diffuse etc...then save as a MOD or PATCH using Pack File Manager and place the mod in your data folder, thats it should work from there

Thanks Toon I would never have thought of that, I was looking through all of the other pack files to see if there was one which connected the texture name to a particular model.

Does the AI use your new units in game or does it stick with the default ones?

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by waldopbarnstormer View Post
    Thanks Toon I would never have thought of that, I was looking through all of the other pack files to see if there was one which connected the texture name to a particular model.

Does the AI use your new units in game or does it stick with the default ones?
    Should use the New units if you are modding the new units, except DLC units that are hardcoded!

I have been looking through the models.pack and main.pack files and I have have a texture for a british grenadier called euro_grenadier_britain_diffuse. This texture is for the euro grenadier model but in game british grenadiers use the euro_bearskin model.

I am still having problems getting the british grenadiers to use this new texture, I copied the three diffuse/normal/gloss files into a folder and called it patch_my_grenadiers.pack but nothing happened. I went back to looking through the files in main.pack and came across units_to_groupings_military_permissions and in this file there is a line:

euro_grenadiers_bearskin | great_britain_group

I am thinking if I copy this file into my mod folder and replace euro_grenadiers_bearskin with euro_grenadiers then this will put my skin in game.

Ok so now I am completely stumped I have tried everything to get rid of the british bearskin grenadiers and replace it with the normal grenadiers skin and nothing works.

I have created a patch_my_grenadiers.pack file in the data folder, I have put my 3 texture files in and called them euro_grenadiers_britain I start the game and go to custom battles, load a battle and when it starts I check the skin for the grenadiers and they still have the bearskin texture.

I tried going through some db files in main.pack and patch.pack to find any link to which texture a model used but could not find any. Can anyone provide any guidance?

thanks in advance.

The Link which texture is used is in the unit_stats_land, but i don't think there is your problem.

First of all you need to be sure, that your mod is loaded. Using a mod-pack, you need to activate it by user-script or with the ModManager. There is still a possibility, that it is not loaded after this, if there is a problem with the mod (sometimes, mod don't load, sometimes you get CTD). So check your pack for typos.
    You need to include a units_to_groupings_military_permission_table in your mod. If you include a renamed table with just one line (euro_grenadiers great_britain_group), you will add the unit to GB portfolio, but not remove the bearskin unit. To remove that unit, you will need to include the full permission-table without renaming and remove the line with the bearskin-grenadiers and add one with the normal grenadier (or just change the first row entrie by ereasing _bearskin).

This only runs, if you use the euro_grenadier-model for the reskin. If your unit uses a different model, there is more to do...
    Bladerunner
    Koeniglich Preussische Marine
    Sealords Virtual Fleets

Sealords Minimod: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=274322
    Sealords Total War Mod: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=246265