Thread: Suggestion: General Bodyguard Upgradescript

Default Suggestion: General Bodyguard Upgradescript

First, I've allready posted that in the "Future Unit Ideas" Thread but did get the answer's I was looking for.

My Suggestion is about the following:

Gondor Example
    I thought about modding different available General Bodyguards for each faction. For example some General's who spawn in Gondor cause of "Out of Age" or "Adoption" will have a "Ithilien Ranger" Bodyguard... others a "Gondor Infantry" or "Cavalary".
    Maybe even Swanknights.

I tried to create a Trigger which bases on Character Development.
    To make clear what I mean:

The Player starts with Gondor, at the start of the Game every General only will have a "Gondor Militia" Bodyguards Unit. With winning battles and having Retinues / Traits the General will expand his Bodyguard Unit to another Stage.

General's who are good in commanding Infantry will get a Gondor Infantry Bodyguard.
    General's who are good in Ambushing and commanding Infantry will get a Ithilien Bodyguard.
    A General who is good with commanding Cavalary will get a Gondorian Cavalary Bodguard.
    Generals who are scarred and have a high amount of fear will get a Axemen Bodyguard
    Generals who are skilled in commanding Infantry, much loyalty and respect and have a lot of hitpoint's will get a Swan Knight Bodyguard Unit. (if they are good with commanding Cavalary they get the Cavalary Swan Knight's)

If a General meets the Requierements for the new Stage he will get a Message which would look like this:

Cause of your newly gained Skill's the King is willed to protect your safety with higher trained Bodyguards.
    Do you want to accept: YES - NO?

Yes: Your Bodyguards Unit get an Upgrade.
    No: Your Bodyguards Unit stays like it is.

Anyone want to help me with this?
    -> I've yet failed to create a unit upgrade condition based on Traits...

Default Re: Suggestion: General Bodyguard Upgradescript

Quote Originally Posted by YassirX View Post
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    First, I've allready posted that in the "Future Unit Ideas" Thread but did get the answer's I was looking for.

My Suggestion is about the following:

Gondor Example
    I thought about modding different available General Bodyguards for each faction. For example some General's who spawn in Gondor cause of "Out of Age" or "Adoption" will have a "Ithilien Ranger" Bodyguard... others a "Gondor Infantry" or "Cavalary".
    Maybe even Swanknights.

I tried to create a Trigger which bases on Character Development.
    To make clear what I mean:

The Player starts with Gondor, at the start of the Game every General only will have a "Gondor Militia" Bodyguards Unit. With winning battles and having Retinues / Traits the General will expand his Bodyguard Unit to another Stage.

General's who are good in commanding Infantry will get a Gondor Infantry Bodyguard.
    General's who are good in Ambushing and commanding Infantry will get a Ithilien Bodyguard.
    A General who is good with commanding Cavalary will get a Gondorian Cavalary Bodguard.
    Generals who are scarred and have a high amount of fear will get a Axemen Bodyguard
    Generals who are skilled in commanding Infantry, much loyalty and respect and have a lot of hitpoint's will get a Swan Knight Bodyguard Unit. (if they are good with commanding Cavalary they get the Cavalary Swan Knight's)

If a General meets the Requierements for the new Stage he will get a Message which would look like this:

Cause of your newly gained Skill's the King is willed to protect your safety with higher trained Bodyguards.
    Do you want to accept: YES - NO?

Yes: Your Bodyguards Unit get an Upgrade.
    No: Your Bodyguards Unit stays like it is.

Anyone want to help me with this?

-> I've yet failed to create a unit upgrade condition based on Traits...
    Have you tried a script that upgrades a bodyguard when it gets a certain amount of XP?

axnsan's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Is it even possible to change bodyguard units mid-game via script?

JuL14n's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by axnsan View Post
    It must be a script that changes the generals roster, and I don't know if such script exist.
    I don't see any other way.

I'll dig a bit in the teutonic campaign script, that file is rich of useable scripts.

vannila does have something that seems an attept to change generals bodyguard mid-game. but sadly it doesn't work

JuL14n's Avatar Centenarius

vannila does have something that seems an attept to change generals bodyguard mid-game. but sadly it doesn't work
    How does it look like?

The line in edu, on the late bodyguard

'generals_unit_upgrade'

The Bodyguard Unit is bound on the General... I thought about the following:

When the General meets the requirements he gets the message, when answering no nothing will happen but when the player answers "yes" the General will despawn and a new General will spawn who has got the same icon and name.
    I'm yet not sure if the ageing would work correctly so maybe this would cause that General's who gain a new Bodyguard unit will live longer... I need to test this tho.

It should be possible to spawn a General with Conditions (Script)... like the Norwegian King. The Difficulty is to set the script on General-Success.
    I'm still looking for a skilled scripter who can help me with this...
    Last edited by YassirX; July 03, 2009 at 09:54 AM.

But then the respawned general would loose all traits and ancillaries...

But then the respawned general would loose all traits and ancillaries...
    Thats true, theres also another way to implent it.
    This way would use the same mechanic as the "Faramir and Boromir Submod" is using.

This means, there will be a script for every single General of each Faction so there will be no random General spawns anymore (some will dislike this, thats why I haven't thought about implenting it this way).

Each General script can be provided with a different unit:
    General 1 gets a Gondor Infantry
    General 2 gets a Ithilien Ranger Infantry

Also Each General can be edited in Techniques:
    General 1 gets good respect and the "Good in Commanding Infantry" Trait.
    General 2 gets high fear, night fighting, ambushing and the "Good in Commanding Infantry" Trait.

The problem is those Generals will spawn depending on the amount of turns. The only way to make it more "Random" is to bring up an Update every week which changes the spawn-date of the Generals, not much work tho. So there will be no "General 1 will spawn at turn 20 everytime"...

This is how it actually could be implented in a different way... so not every General has the same Bodyguard Unit... but that doesn't provide any Bodyguard Upgrades which means the General's will need to stay with their Bodyguard the whole time.

What do you guys think about this?
    (it's easy to implent tho)

Citizen

Nice idea, would be awesome if you got it to work.

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by YassirX View Post
    Thats true, theres also another way to implent it.
    This way would use the same mechanic as the "Faramir and Boromir Submod" is using.

This means, there will be a script for every single General of each Faction so there will be no random General spawns anymore (some will dislike this, thats why I haven't thought about implenting it this way).

Each General script can be provided with a different unit:
    General 1 gets a Gondor Infantry
    General 2 gets a Ithilien Ranger Infantry

Also Each General can be edited in Techniques:
    General 1 gets good respect and the "Good in Commanding Infantry" Trait.
    General 2 gets high fear, night fighting, ambushing and the "Good in Commanding Infantry" Trait.

The problem is those Generals will spawn depending on the amount of turns. The only way to make it more "Random" is to bring up an Update every week which changes the spawn-date of the Generals, not much work tho. So there will be no "General 1 will spawn at turn 20 everytime"...

This is how it actually could be implented in a different way... so not every General has the same Bodyguard Unit... but that doesn't provide any Bodyguard Upgrades which means the General's will need to stay with their Bodyguard the whole time.

What do you guys think about this?
    (it's easy to implent tho)
    Of course there can still be emerging generals (adoption, lesser adoption and marriage), if this is what you meant by 'random'. Since you've to do a seperate script for all generals and since all their names are given in the descr_names.txt, how about a monitor using "if I_CharacterExists" for all the names? Don't know if this is possible, would have to check this out.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.