Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CARTHAGE!!!!

Default CARTHAGE!!!!

I have allways been a a single faction player, i never really played any of the other factions except Rome. I tried the gauls but didnt really like the playstyle, then i thought hey, why not try parthia? with them i allways seem to run into huge amounts of debt, even after following a guid. So i turn my eyes to Carthage, the thorn in Romes side . Is there any tips anyone has before i start this campaign for carthage?

Default Re: CARTHAGE!!!!

Well after you been defensive for 30 years (following house rules) secure sicily as fast as possible. But mostly focus on getting a good trade thus you should make roads and ports. Hope this helps to get you started

TWC Son of the One and Only Abbews

Quote Originally Posted by lolgast View Post
    Well after you been defensive for 30 years (following house rules) secure sicily as fast as possible. But mostly focus on getting a good trade thus you should make roads and ports. Hope this helps to get you started
    I will let you know in 30 or so turns

Maximus_96's Avatar Senator

also get trade rights with people and build traders and temples

Taelok's Avatar Senator

A good early starting strategy with Carthage (since they seem to run into debt early on) is to disband all non-essential troops, particularly cavalry units in garrisons. This should free up some money which can be spent on developing infrastructure (roads, ports, markets etc).

Like the others have said, secure Sicily, get trade rights with other nations, build mines and, finally, invade Italy

Good luck!

Only dream I ever have. Is it the surface of the Sun?
    Everytime I shut my eyes, it's always the same.

Oooh yeah, Carthage is a real blast to play. I am a major Roman fan, but... well sometimes, just every now and then, you have to squash infantry with Elephants. Elephants are mostly just a liability, but gosh, it sure is fun to watch them smash through roman lines, throwing their nicely ordered formations into complete chaos and blood soaked mayhem.

I agree with Taelok, Grab Sicily and you are pretty much sorted.

Have Fun!
    May You Rest In Peace Calvin

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Quote Originally Posted by lolgast View Post
    30 years?!

Hmmm I hope when RS2 is released they could give us some of such savegame files......

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

It surely should be 30 turns.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

Lupus's Avatar Tiro

Protect the islands west of Italy, Alesia and the other one south of it. If you want to, of course. I'm about 80/90 years down the line with Carthage. The Romans keep offering ceasefire, then hit those two islands. I let Alesia go a few years ago, but now they're back with two half stacks.
    Sicily has been secure for years and they haven't bothered with it at all.
    Your campaign may differ though, good luck...

Maximus_96's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Lupus View Post
    Protect the islands west of Italy, Alesia and the other one south of it. If you want to, of course. I'm about 80/90 years down the line with Carthage. The Romans keep offering ceasefire, then hit those two islands. I let Alesia go a few years ago, but now they're back with two half stacks.
    Sicily has been secure for years and they haven't bothered with it at all.
    Your campaign may differ though, good luck...
    just to let you know, alesia is in central gaul, the islands you are talking about are corsica and sardinia

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus_96 View Post
    just to let you know, alesia is in central gaul, the islands you are talking about are corsica and sardinia

I think he ment Aleria >> Aleria is west of Rome hence why Julius Caesar wanted it after coming back from Gaul.

Lupus's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by MutantHippie View Post
    I think he ment Aleria >> Aleria is west of Rome hence why Julius Caesar wanted it after coming back from Gaul.
    What he said....

How is the campaign going? I'm having major happiness issues. Scratch that, the Carthaginians are. All my money is going into keeping them from burning the place and man, can they breed.....
    Last edited by Lupus; July 07, 2009 at 04:53 AM.

May I make a suggestion? If you are not having any problems with small populations then destroy the polulation growth buildings, it results in a temporary negative happiness, however the slower growth leads to long term stability. It's amazing the difference it can have over a few turns. From crazy rioting fiefdoms to effiecient powerful empire.
    May You Rest In Peace Calvin

Lupus's Avatar Tiro

I hardly ever use the population buildings. Only leave them for a while if I find them in taken backwater rebel settlements. About four cities with full stack slingers, few more with half stacks, cities below 100%, all taxes on low, except maybe two.....yup, issues aplenty. I'm missing Rome already.....

Population growth buildings may be useful when having great cities (50k+ inhabitants) which are stabilized in your homeland and just won't grow anymore. Then you can push them up to max. 60k when you're lucky. I did that with certain "prestige cities" like Rome, Athens or Pergamon.
    Most the time population growth and infrastructural improvement go well and in similar time without them - too fast growth only destabilizes them.

Never played as carthage though, they somehow don't attract me.. and never played any important role in my campaigns either, dont know why

Well, every game I have seen Carthage in, they get beaten pretty quickly. I don't think I have ever seen them lost to Syracuse. Weak, and to think they challenged Rome.

Same I always see Carthage getting raped early on in the campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by apple View Post
    It surely should be 30 turns.
    When I play as Romans I usually don't take any territory outside Italy until I've fully switched my forces over to my VE legions, generally 30 years (60 or so turns). With other factions I tend to be more aggressive, but I think 60 turns is a good amount of time to build your economy before launching major expansions.

Kallides's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by TheAeneas View Post
    Oooh yeah, Carthage is a real blast to play. I am a major Roman fan, but... well sometimes, just every now and then, you have to squash infantry with Elephants. Elephants are mostly just a liability, but gosh, it sure is fun to watch them smash through roman lines, throwing their nicely ordered formations into complete chaos and blood soaked mayhem.

I agree with Taelok, Grab Sicily and you are pretty much sorted.

Have Fun!
    There is something wrong here - Aeneas a Carthaginian Emperor!?

Snipers get more Head!

Don't start war within your first 30 years, preferably 50 years at most you'll be surprised by then on how hard the Campaign will be I tried it with my Roman Campaign, took me almost 20 turns to get the Cities north of Ariminum and Arretium because the Gauls already took them.

If your that type of player that is, but if your more like a swift finisher then do it in 30 years in-game time. Like they said build up Ports and etc. to increase Trade and Farms are the most important in my opinion 'cause you'll need to stack up on people for the War(s) to come.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast