Thread: A Question on Human Empathy

Default A Question on Human Empathy

I'm here to see if any of you can shed some light on human empathy... Now, we know that if one feels no empathy he's a psychopath, and feeling it, even for humans that one doesn't know, is absolutely normal.

If one feels no empathy whatsoever for people he doesn't like or doesn't know personally (like starving children in Africa, a person being robbed in the street, etc.) but shows deep affection and dedication to those around him, like family, friends, girl/boyfriend, etc. One is less humane? Less human? If so, what one really is?

Hippolord's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: A Question on Human Empathy

Empathy is a strange thing, because at times we will care for people, even though it will giv eus no sociatic benefit what so ever. Now don't get me wrong, there are people whom act like they "care" simply to make people think higher of them in society, but alot of time this is not the case. People care for others, simply because it may bring peace ot there own mind, and through peace of the mind, one may be a better contributer to society.

But then what of those whom find no peace of mind, in the caring for of others?

I wanna lie, lie to myself, myself and someone else. Cause it’s the lying that hurts, and it’s the hurt that lets me know I’m alive.”

magickyleo101's Avatar Here Come The Judge

It doesn't make you less human. Rather, the observation you make shows that there's a pretty big moral difference between suffering that happens near you and suffering that happens far away. We can make the argument like this:

(1) Not everyone you know is a moral monster.
    (2) A person would be a moral monster if they did something nearly as bad as allowing a person to starve to death right in front of them when they could easily save that person.
    (3) Everyone you know allows people to starve to death in Africa when they could easily save at least one of them.
    Therefore: Allowing a person to starve to death in Africa isn't nearly as bad as allowing a person to starve to death right in front of you.
    Under the Patronage of the Honorable PowerWizard.

The thing is letting an african child starve to death isn't as horrible as society makes it seem.

For one, if it didn't happen, it would be extremely bad.

For another, there's no real moral obligation, depending on your morals.

Some people feel good helping society, and feel like that's what they should do. It doesn't make you a better person then those who don't feel good helping society.

However, those who do things for society for no reason are far better then anyone who does anything to feel good.

What I find interesting is the empathy people have for animals, an empathy much less common place (in particular outside the western world). It sometimes seems, especially in England, that people are more willing to help a local suffering animal than a far off suffering child.

EDIT

Not that I am suggesting empathy for animals is wrong, but the balance is interesting.

I think human empathy towards animals is explained by some form of cult of purity, that we're doomed by our evil actions and are too intelligent and too full of vices to deserve help, even from ourselves.

I asked that question because there were a lot of topics recently on this forum about shooting pedofiles in the head on sight and variations of that concept. I feel no ill will of any sort towards any pedophile, lest my child be molested by one, then probably I'd want to shoot him in the head, but I simply cannot feel the urge to kill him on behalf of another's pain.

I think human empathy towards animals is explained by some form of cult of purity, that we're doomed by our evil actions and are too intelligent and too full of vices to deserve help, even from ourselves.

I asked that question because there were a lot of topics recently on this forum about shooting pedofiles in the head on sight and variations of that concept. I feel no ill will of any sort towards any pedophile, lest my child be molested by one, then probably I'd want to shoot him in the head, but I simply cannot feel the urge to kill him on behalf of another's pain.
    I dunno, but I think that anyone who wants to shoot a pedophile in the head on sight may feel *something* strongly, but empathy isn't it.

If empathy is just sharing in some one else's emotional distress, then to empathize with the victims of pedophiles is to share in the pain they feel. IMO, the desire to shoot a pedophile when you weren't directly affected by his/her actions comes more from an outraged sense of propriety than it does empathy.

I sometimes wish there was more empathy for pedophiles. Abuse and molestation are cycles, and often the people who we revile as monsters were once innocent victims of the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Khannis View Post
    I'm here to see if any of you can shed some light on human empathy... Now, we know that if one feels no empathy he's a psychopath, and feeling it, even for humans that one doesn't know, is absolutely normal.

If one feels no empathy whatsoever for people he doesn't like or doesn't know personally (like starving children in Africa, a person being robbed in the street, etc.) but shows deep affection and dedication to those around him, like family, friends, girl/boyfriend, etc. One is less humane? Less human? If so, what one really is?
    not being an arse but a person who feels no empathy at all isnt a psychopath, but rather a sociopath.

Vizsla's Avatar Senator
    That place where the sun don't shine (England)

Empathy is about having a theory of mind.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_mind
    I can only feel others' pain if I can mentally put myself in their shoes. We empathise with animals by anthropomorphising and projecting our own thoughts, feelings and aspirations onto them. Often erroneously.
    Some people occasionally empathise with plants and inanimate objects which goes to show how strong the instinct is.
    Extreme politics and military training dehumanises in order to suppress empathy.
    Money generally trumps empathy. Possibly because we didn't have cash until recently.
    So my boss is not a total bastard. He just has so much money he thinks everyone can take care of themselves.