Thread: Paris Advice!

Default Paris Advice!

Hello, I am going to Paris for 10 days on July 4th. Just looking for some must see sites that are not as mainstream. I am going with my girlfriend's family and they have plenty of mainstream places to visit lined up. I was hoping I could use the TWC's international community to give me a handful of ideas that would be more unique, especially if it involves historic significance. The group I am going with has 8 people from 60 years old to 8 years old, so all suggestions welcome!

Thank you so much for talking the time to read and respond!
    Last edited by MasterShake; June 30, 2009 at 04:20 PM.

Flavius Aetius's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Paris Advice!

Since you are going during the time where there will be the the most tourists, I would recommend you skip the Eiffel tower, which will most likely be flooded with Japanese. You can always walk around, go under it, but it's probably going to take you a very long time if you want to go on top of it.

People from Paris are different from the people in France. I have never had any problem but I recommend, if you don't know French, to learn a couple of words, such as:

S'il vous plaît (Please)
    Merci (Thank you)
    Bonjour (Hello, good day)
    Parlez-vous anglais? (Do you speak English?) You may also ask and try other languages if you know one : German=allemand, Spanish= espagnol, Italian=italien.

Plainly asking "Do you speak English?" can be considered rude by some people.

Thanks for the advice! We have an apartment that has a direct view of the Eiffel Tower. So I am guessing we will see plenty of it, but most likely not try and go up it. But they have plenty of busy tourists spots planned which kinda bums me out, but oh well, it is for my GF's dads 60th B-day and he is a big shot lawyer so everything is going to be... well... much classier than I am accustomed too

Give me some hiking shoes over dress shoes any day, but being able to go to Paris for free, is nothing short of priceless.

I wanted to go to Oradour-sur-Glane, but it was too far and no one else wanted to see it. Oh well.

magickyleo101's Avatar Here Come The Judge

My girlfriend recently went to Paris and she suggests that you go to Ladurée (there are three locations across Paris)and eat a macaron or four.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladur%C3%A9e
    Under the Patronage of the Honorable PowerWizard.

Taxandrius's Avatar Praeses

diner in style for a good price: Brasserie Bofinger

Romanos IV's Avatar The 120th Article, § 4
    the hell outta here (Athens, European Client State of Greece)

Also, don't forget to attend the 14th July parade, preferably at the Place de la Concorde. I've attended it, it was spectacular. At the same day, you'll see beaches on the Seine, it is rather funny but you can take advantage of it, if you want to. You shouldn't miss either the Quartier Latin, the Latin Quarter, I liked it a lot.

And while at the underground and the RER, behave the way the rest of the people behave not to have problems. Also, you should not look at "strange" people (poor, coloured etc.) or you'll get into trouble. Last but not least, you should have a bottle of water all the time (best buy it from vending machines, only 1,70 euros, while anywhere else at least 2 euros) and don't forget to try creme brullee and other national specialities, as advised by the users here.

PS: I think you should go to the Eiffel Tower, no matter the queue. It's not to be missed. But be ware, for cafeterias up there have prices that are incredibly high.
    Under the noble patronage of Jimkatalanos