Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stronger Elven Archers

Default Stronger Elven Archers

I made this because I found that when read the books, and watching the movies i found the elven very good at archery. In the tatw mod I noticed that they wernt that good at archery as I thought that they should be. So i increased the damage and range for all elven archer units by about 3-4 extra damage and about 20-50 extra range.

This wont work if you have some other submod installed that uses the EDU.

NOTICE: I have now edited the file again so the number of elven archers is greatly smaller than before, they are nearly half the size now and double as good so the balance is better now.
    Realisticly thinking.. you wouldnt have as many archers as swordsmen and spearmen

Download link:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=2513
    Last edited by Dea Paladin; July 02, 2009 at 08:24 AM.

Default Re: Stronger Elven Archers

Meh.

I`m quite sure that not many people want to sacrifice the Balance of Rc/ Vanilla 1.1 just for stronger archers. Especially since archers are as powerful as they should be.

Beating the a.i with archers is easy enough, atm.
    Last edited by Lordinquisitor; June 30, 2009 at 07:40 AM.

Playing as the HE, I already feel like I'm cheating. I'm sure you're enjoying your sub-mod though, and it's always nice to share what you enjoy.

Well have it as you like. Still...its a good balance againts mordor with their olog-hai. You see a group of archers should be able to bring down 3-4 trolls. And im not saying that im right and your wrong, but archers realisticly thinking would tair up and army, not like now how each unit can get shot 2-4 times and still not die.

At the moment Elven archers kill whole armies of orcs. O.o

And Olog-Hais are supposed to be strong. They are Trolls and wearing thick armor- They should and are able to soak up arrow fire.

And being able to kill everything with archers, without any losses or tactic, even in late game would be boring.

eskrogh's Avatar Biarchus

elven archers were able to destroy and kill hords of orcs and without wasting an arrow.. so it is a fine change..

and the game is easy enough to win as it is.. it is always possible to win... either blitz stack spamming or who knows... and you can also just make a stack of top tier units.. and you can win quick.. but if you want a hard game you wont be so stupid and make stacks of archers..
    If people isnt over the minimum standard of living... lower the standard..
    if there is too much poverty in a sociaty, lower the poverty line... my qoutes... comment them if you will...

Quote Originally Posted by Dea Paladin View Post
    Well have it as you like. Still...its a good balance againts mordor with their olog-hai. You see a group of archers should be able to bring down 3-4 trolls. And im not saying that im right and your wrong, but archers realisticly thinking would tair up and army, not like now how each unit can get shot 2-4 times and still not die.
    Longbows could barely penetrate plate armor maybe 2mm thick at close range. When you double armor thickness, you in fact triple its resistance to such attacks. And given that Olog-hai are huge ravenous monsters, I'm sure they could easily manage 6mm (or more) of armor quite well, making its resistance to arrow fire 6x or more that of average-quality medieval plate armor. And they are meant to have incredibly tough skin as well. So they should be incredibly difficult to bring down with arrow fire.

Point Blank, you're right ... but then again Elves are supposed to be the best marksmen in Middle Earth, able to hit an eye, joint or any other weakness from considerable range. Even Trolls have elbows, eyes, knees and a stomach.

Yeah plus the troll armor only really appears to cover their upper body.

Great sub-mod!

In The Hobbit, it says the mirkwood archers where so skilled they where able to hit a birds eye in the dark.

If your not a noob then you dont make an army of 10 stacks of archers just to win. Winning a battle is easy if you really want to win and use unrealitic forces. And by the way an arrow can penetrate 2mm of armour..maybe not 6 though..

Quote Originally Posted by Dea Paladin View Post
    In The Hobbit, it says the mirkwood archers where so skilled they where able to hit a birds eye in the dark.
    Yes, but even Legolas sometimes missed. And he even complained about the darkness during the siege of Helms deep, reducing his ability to aim greatly.

If you really want to make it more "realistic" (What you deem realistic, that`s it.) don`t increase the arrow damage, but reduce the Troll Hp and/or increase the elven archer accuracy even more.
    Last edited by Lordinquisitor; July 01, 2009 at 07:31 AM.

Were Elven arrows not said to be able to pierce the hide of dragons, the thickest armor of all time?

I dont think so, since smaug manages to destroy lake town.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny777 View Post
    Were Elven arrows not said to be able to pierce the hide of dragons, the thickest armor of all time?
    Only if the dragon was not fully grown, eg Morgoth's nice little pet Glaurung entered battle before he was fully grown, and the elven arrows still stung him, causing him to hastily retreat.

Dragons sometimes have holes in their armour.

Quote Originally Posted by A1_Unit View Post
    Dragons sometimes have holes in their armour.
    Yeah, which is how Bard the Archer slew Smaug.

Anyway, I suppose it's possible to make Elves the "realistic" super archer as portrayed in the books, but you'd also have to drastically increase troop production for the orc factions, like really drastically, because that's realistic too. I'm pretty sure Sauron had half a million or more minions even after the Siege of Minas Tirith. Problem with that is you can't have that many troops in a battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystific View Post
    Yeah, which is how Bard the Archer slew Smaug.

Anyway, I suppose it's possible to make Elves the "realistic" super archer as portrayed in the books, but you'd also have to drastically increase troop production for the orc factions, like really drastically, because that's realistic too. I'm pretty sure Sauron had half a million or more minions even after the Siege of Minas Tirith. Problem with that is you can't have that many troops in a battle.
    With a supercomuter yes. But I don't have one!

Quote Originally Posted by A1_Unit View Post
    With a supercomuter yes. But I don't have one!
    I do.

I just... chose... to keep my battles around 10,000. Yea, that is it.

I do.

I just... chose... to keep my battles around 10,000. Yea, that is it.
    I can get mine to 15000+!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast