Thread: Bulkeley's Regiment

Default Bulkeley's Regiment

Is there any known issue with TROM and the Special Forces Units?

I only ask because I finally got round to recruiting Bulkeley's Regiment in my French campaign and when they appeared on the battlefield just now they had the wrong colour coats.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Not sure if this is a consequence of using TROM, or whether its one of the other MOD's causing it.

I was also using the Proper_Militia_v11 and Ancient_Regime_France_V04_Patch.

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Bulkeley's Regiment

hmmm...that is actually the same colour coats I have always seen them in,for even though the CA promo art has them wearing red coats I have always seen them wearing a very ancien regime style greyish colour

I think they actually look like this in vanilla.

Johan217's Avatar Campidoctor

I don't have DLC, but I do have the Special Forces edition. And this is how they've always looked. If you tell me they should be wearing red coats I can easily arrange that
    Rock 'n' roll is the only religion that will never let you down

Well yes they should be wearing red coats, all the Irish Brigade regiments in the service of France did, and the cover art shows them wearing red coats so if thats the vanilla colour scheme then CA got it wrong again.

The Irish Brigade wore red coats throughout the eighteenth century with different coloured facings to distinguish each regiment. In 1757 Bulkeley's Regiment had green facings, Clare's yellow, Dillon's black and Roth's dark blue with white braiding. The 1791 provisional regulations (on the eve of the disestablishment of the Irish Brigade) gave black facings to all four regiments with only minor distinctions to distinguish each unit.
    Extract: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Brigade_(French)

Dillons Regiment Soldier and Regimental Colour.

The red coats worn by both Irish and Scottish Regiments in foreign service were intended to indicate that these were loyal Jacobite Troops in the service of a foreign power intent or restoring Jacobite rule to Britain.

I can confirm that some Irish units wore red.
    I beleive the Irish were instrumental against British while fighting withtr the french at fontenoy. They were called the wilde geese I believe.

A battle with Swiss, British and Irish would be very confusing
    Last edited by Destraex; June 29, 2009 at 10:50 PM.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

This better?

Just add the folders and files from the .zip to trom_core_part_2.pack. Or be patient for another 2 weeks and we'll include them in our next major update.

Quote Originally Posted by Didz View Post
    The 1791 provisional regulations (on the eve of the disestablishment of the Irish Brigade) gave black facings to all four regiments with only minor distinctions to distinguish each unit.
    So I gather that the Irish (and presumably also Scottish) regiments were disbanded after the French Revolution. Do you know if the post-revolutionary French army maintained any foreign regiments? More specifically, what could we use to replace these units in the game after a revolution?

Quote Originally Posted by Johan217 View Post
    This better?
    Great thanks a lot. Weird that the vanilla unit doesn't even match the promotional image though.

Quote Originally Posted by Johan217 View Post
    So I gather that the Irish (and presumably also Scottish) regiments were disbanded after the French Revolution. Do you know if the post-revolutionary French army maintained any foreign regiments? More specifically, what could we use to replace these units in the game after a revolution?
    Hmm! well the French Imperial Army (Napoleon's Army) certainly had foreign regiments in it, but I'm not so sure about the republic. I'll do a bit of research and see what I can find.

From what I've seen in my French Campaign the Revolutionary Army just uses the same skins as the Royalist Army anyway, so its a bit academic.

Foriegn units in the service of the French Republic:

The Coptic Legion: Formed in 1798, and consisting of volunteers from the christian population of Egypt, the Copts. But later included Berbers, Arabs, Turks and Moors. Uniform was French style, grenadiers wearing a red plume and red hats, coat was green with yellow facings, trousers/pants were white or natural coloured.

Dromedary Corps: Really a dragoon regiment but mounted on camels. Its uniform was constantly being changed but usually had a hussar style. The headgear changed rapidly from turban, to bicorne hat, to various styles of shako.

Danube Legion: Formed in 1796, and consisting of volunteer Polish Emigres, the legion fought in Italy during 179801800. This unit wore a uniform which was a mix of Polish and French styles.

On a more general note, I get the impression that whilst officially all foriegn regiments were disbanded in 1791, most seem to have just had their names changed. Quite how many of the foriegn soldiers remained with the colours under the new regime is difficult to determine, but the regiments themselves can trace their history back through the revolution to their Royalist Heretage.

For examples the Royal-Suédois became the 89th Regiment.

However, according to the history of the Irish Brigade it was disbanded and absorbed into the French Revolutionary Army. Most of the Irish soldiers left the service in 1792, when Louis LXVI was deposed as their oath of loyalty was to him not the French people. Although Napoleon later raised a small Irish Regiment.

Found this on the Dillon Regiment. It remained faithful to France after the French Revolution, though it was transformed into the 87th Line Infantry Regiment in 1791 before being dissolved in 1793, with its first battalion becoming the 157th Line Infantry Regiment and the second battalion becoming the 158th Line Infantry Regiment.

[There is quite a nice table here http://xenophongroup.com/mcjoynt/regts.htm of Revolutionary units that participated in the American Revolution, which shows their Revolutionary Army and Ancient Regime designations. Dillon appears as part of the 87e RI. there is an even better table here http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=U...esult&resnum=6 which shows the former titles of every revolutionary infantry regiment and their former nationality. The 87e, 88e and 92e are shown as Irish. Apparently the 11 Swiss Regiments were excluded from this absorbtion process and retained their original Regimental titles.]

It seems the basic problem that the revolutionary government had with foreign troops stemmed from their actions and employment during the revolution itself. When most French units were at best ineffectual and in some cases such as the Maison de Roi actually defected to the revolution, the foriegn regiments remained loyal to their oath to Louis LXVI and marched on Paris to support the King. This act of loyalty was not appreciated by the revolutionary government and led to a general mistrust of these regiments and foriegn troops in general. The general response seems to have been to strip such regiments of their identify and traditions and to attempt to absorb them into mass of new demi-brigades. However, it does seem that most regiments of the Ancient Regime continued to wear their original Royal Uniforms after the renaming and merging process, whether this means that the Dillon Regiment for example continued to wear is red coat in its new guise as the 87th Regiment, I have yet to determine.
    Last edited by Didz; June 30, 2009 at 06:27 AM.

Let's say anything before 1814 is acceptable

Eureka! found it. Just found the uniform details of all 12 Foreign Regiments in the Revolutionary Army prior to the final reforms of 15 January 1792. After this date they would have been uniformed in the standard French Infantry uniform with the new distinctions, but prior to that date they were dressed as follows

RegimentAR RegtNationalityCoatLapelsCollarCuffsCuff-FlapsButtonsPockets
    53e RIAlsaceGermanSky BlueScarletScarletScarletScarletWhiteVertical
    62e RISalm SalmGermanSky BlueScarletSky BlueSky BlueScarletWhiteVertical
    77e RILa MarckGermanSky BlueScarletScarletScarletScarletWhiteVertical
    87e RIDillonIrishRedBlackBlackBlackBlackYellowVertical
    88e RIBerwickIrishRedBlackRedBlackRedYellowVertical
    89e RIRoyal SuedoisGerman/SwedishSky BlueScarletScarletScarletScarletWhiteVertical
    92e RIWalshIrishRedBlackBlackRedBlackYellowHorizontal
    94e RIHesse-DarmstadtGermanSky BlueScarletSky BlueScarletSky BlueWhiteHorizontal
    96e RINassauGermanSky BlueScarletScarletSky BlueScarletWhiteHorizontal
    98e RIBouillonGermanSky BlueBlackBlackBlack BlackWhiteHorizontal
    99e RIRoyal Deux-PontsGermanSky BlueBlackSky BlueBlackSky BlueWhiteHorizontal
    101e RIRoyal LiegeoisLeigeSky BlueBlackBlackSky BlueBlackWhiteHorizontal

Might as well add the Swiss Regiments as I have the information for those too:

RegimentAR RegtNationalityCoatLapelsCollarCuffsPipingButtonsPockets
    63e RIErnestSwissRedBlackRedBlackWhiteWhiteHorizontal
    64e RISalis SamadeSwissRedLemon YellowRedLemon Yellow_ WhiteHorizontal
    65e RISonnembergSwissRedSky BlueSky BlueSky Blue_ WhiteVertical
    66e RICastellaSwissRedBlueBlueBluewhiteWhiteHorizontal
    69e RIVigierSwissRedChamoisRedChamois_ WhiteHorizontal
    76e RIChateauvieuxSwissRedYellowRedYellowWhiteWhiteHorizontal
    85e RIDiesbachSwissRedSky BlueSky BlueSky BlueWhiteWhiteHorizontal
    86e RICourtenSwissRedBlueBlueBlueWhiteWhiteHorizontal
    95e RISalis GrisonsSwissRedBlueRedBlueWhiteWhiteHorizontal
    97e RISteinerSwissRedBlueBlueBlue_ WhiteHorizontal
    100e RIReinachSwissRedWhiteWhiteWhite_ WhiteHorizontal

Just need to double check the cut of the coats and the type of hat and leg wear worn.

But essentially the Bulkeley Unit could become the 87e or 88e RI in their red coats with black facings, whilst the Swiss Guard and Scottish Regiments are altered to represent a typical Swiss or German regiment.
    Last edited by Didz; June 30, 2009 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Didz View Post
    But essentially the Bulkeley Unit could become the 87e or 88e RI in their red coats with black facings, whilst the Swiss Guard and Scottish Regiments are altered to represent a typical Swiss or German regiment.
    That's a treasure! Thanks mate!