Thread: Zuchabar

TRSjarmen's Avatar Semisalis

Default Zuchabar

In the movie gladitor, the location in the desert before they go to Rome is called Zuchabar or something like that. Can anyone tell me 1. if this is a real province (*Note* i am unsure of the exact name i know its something with a Z) 2. Where the province was 3. that is was under Roman control, and games were played there

-thanks!

Zucchabar or what was the name never existed; i remember it because i was very surprised in the cinema: with so many existing roman provinces in north africa and middle east why they spent time inventing a fantasy name instead to look an historical atlas and choose a real one?

For what I know, no africain province had a arena or any thing like that. So they just made one up. Curious.
    Last edited by PM Trajan For Name Change; June 12, 2005 at 08:11 AM.

http://darthvader.forumup.com
    Staff needed! Please e-mail me(darthvader11@optonline.net) about that and your username (on this site and my site). And I might make you a Moderator!

In the province of Africa there was at least one colliseum that had been built by the Romans. I'm not sure where exactly it was, but I remember I came across it while researching Tunisia.

Even so, Zuccabar seems to be fictional. I always thought it seemed sort of North African though...

The Arabs looked a bit out of place too...

Though I have no idea about wether Zuchabar existed or not, there were arenas in North Africa. In a short trip to Tunisia I visited two, one of which a program on Gladiators was filmed there a year ago, and shown on the BBC. Just google "El Jem"

Petronius's Avatar Biarchus

For some reason, Gladiator decided to choose an 'Arab-esque' look to North Africa, which was completely innapropriate. Much of the attire of citizens and architechture looked like it came out of post-Islam North Africa, 7th Century and on from there. I think that Ridley Scott confused time periods, here. As for the name - I have no clue why Zucchabar was chosen.

Tempus fugit, et nos fugimus in illus. (Time flies and we fly with it.)

-Publius Ovidius Naso

Ah, well I never new that. We all can be wrong. I hust have one question any arenas in Egypt?

http://darthvader.forumup.com
    Staff needed! Please e-mail me(darthvader11@optonline.net) about that and your username (on this site and my site). And I might make you a Moderator!

Petronius's Avatar Biarchus

Seeing as there was Roman government in Aegyptus, I must assume that they also had gladiator games and shows in the amphitheatre. So, very very likely.

Tempus fugit, et nos fugimus in illus. (Time flies and we fly with it.)

-Publius Ovidius Naso

Alexandria was the second biggest city in the empire (the third was Damascus I think), so it's very likely that it had gladiator games.

Josephus mentions at the end of "The Jewish War" that many of the captives from the Jewish rebellion ended up in the arenas of the Roman cities in the region.