Thread: Warcraft: Total War (WTW) Original Thread

wolfbane751's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Warcraft: Total War (WTW)

ah when this mod comes out i wont be able to play due to having to get a nw hard drive and my medieval 2 original cd cracking and not being able to read =( i should probaly purchase it online somewhwere then lol

DekuTrash's Avatar Human Directional
    Content Emeritus

Don't worry, it's not coming out anytime soon.

So I just found this mod and it is great to see someone working on a Wow themed mod.

By the way I love the look of the Lordaeron Units. The Horde could use some work, but I love that someone is working on a Wow themed Mod.

I read a bit more of your posts and I like the Idea for Blood/High elves, but it doesnt seem to me to fit quite right as far as lore goes. It feels like it needs to be more decision based than ownership.

How are y'all going to use the Religion system? Is it going to remain religion or be a Culture system as they did the Lord of the Rings mod?

Is there going to be smaller campaign scenarios like First and Second wars? Instead of just one timeline campaign.
    Last edited by MrDickens; October 24, 2011 at 05:21 PM.

This mod is in fact based mostly in Warcraft 3. Blood elf/high elf mechanic won't be in the Alpha build, details for its eventual implementation are still being worked out. Religion system will be used in the alpha. In the far, far future, more campaigns may be added. Outland would be very fun to map...

Well ill be waiting for when you release it, because honestly once i found mods for Total War Games a Warcraft themed mod was all i wanted. And by the looks of it y'all are doing quite a good job.

I just wish y'all would hurry.

Edit: Im really nerding out at this!
    Last edited by MrDickens; October 27, 2011 at 05:32 PM. Reason: impatient

Quote Originally Posted by MrDickens View Post
    Well ill be waiting for when you release it, because honestly once i found mods for Total War Games a Warcraft themed mod was all i wanted. And by the looks of it y'all are doing quite a good job.

I just wish y'all would hurry.

Edit: Im really nerding out at this!

shouldnt ask for them to hurry but to take thier time to release a good mod as time is crucial in everything or rather amount of time and modders are normal people with lives outside of modding so some mods get completed faster than other and this is a pretty big mod so i hope they keep up the good work and manage to get moravexxes units back otherwise that would be a big setback i think

Quote Originally Posted by wolfbane751 View Post
    shouldnt ask for them to hurry but to take thier time to release a good mod as time is crucial in everything or rather amount of time and modders are normal people with lives outside of modding so some mods get completed faster than other and this is a pretty big mod so i hope they keep up the good work and manage to get moravexxes units back otherwise that would be a big setback i think
    Im just soo excited!
    Last edited by MrDickens; October 31, 2011 at 04:35 PM.

lol im sure other people are as well

Razor's Avatar Licenced to insult

Looks nice! One question though: are you going for the more cartoony atmosphere or with the (standard) grim atmosphere of M2TW? I surely hope you go for the somewhat catoony atmosphere. Would be great to see the terrain have more vivid colors somewhat like Warcraft 3.

Go for the Grim atmosphere, for one it better suits the early Warcraft years and would suit Medieval better. Plus, it'd be a nice change to finally see something Warcraft based which has some realism to unit appearances rather than the absurdly comical appearances that are becoming more and more prevalent in Warcraft stuff.

Yeah that's what I wanted the modelers to do, and was kind of how Moravex was doing his units, making them warcraft-style but with kind of realistic, like the early Warcraft 1 and 2 units. And indeed, those (especially Warcraft 1) had much darker themes and ambience.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulfurion Blackfyre View Post
    Yeah that's what I wanted the modelers to do, and was kind of how Moravex was doing his units, making them warcraft-style but with kind of realistic, like the early Warcraft 1 and 2 units. And indeed, those (especially Warcraft 1) had much darker themes and ambience.
    Aye, that's how I was originally going to do my Warcraft mod when I was designing it. Although, mine was going to be rather different, hehe. Was going to set it 100 years prior to the Dark Portal opening.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
    Aye, that's how I was originally going to do my Warcraft mod when I was designing it. Although, mine was going to be rather different, hehe. Was going to set it 100 years prior to the Dark Portal opening.
    But then what would be the war? Human vs humans or that war of the humans vs dwarves?

Well, it's well known that even forces at peace with one another will have border disputes and the odd scrap without a declaration of war, and my idea kind of played on those scraps getting more frequent. The mod was basically going to play out only over the Eastern Kingdoms, with the playable factions being everything from the Realm of Tol Barad, to the Jungle Trolls of Zul'Gurub. I did extensive research to get the territory map just right, to get settlement names correct and choose all the factions. As with all Total War games, the war would be what you make it; the Kingdom of Lordaeron could conquer Gilneas, or the Quel'dorei could sail down to Ironforge and lay siege to it. What happens would be up to you afterall, and due to it being set "far" into the past of Warcraft.. it would allow for a true Total War scenario due to the lack of any grand Alliances etc.

Oh I see that's interesting indeed, so basicallly it was just laying the foundation of the overall factions pre-dark portal (without any fancy nancy mythical burning legions or night elves or undead) and just.. conventional medieval war between the humans dwarves trolls elves.. sounds pretty nice. Something I would love to see also is a Warcraft 2 Total War xD I just think it fits perfectly in the world "Total War", in a way Warcraft 3 and WoW never did. But ah well, we now with this mod are pretty much stagnated without any modelers.

Thanks! I did have the Horde coming along eventually as an emerging faction, kinda like the Mongol's in Medieval, but never went further to add the legion etc. There are so many possible factions on the Eastern Kingdoms as it was without adding more!

And remember, modellers do not make a mod. I would suggest making all units for the factions in game code rather than the models, and make sure it balances out. Even finish the campaign map and get a working version going. Afterall, the models are the icing on the cake, not the filling.

Well, models are not what makes the game but it's mostly what makes a mod.
    But I like the idea of moving on. The map alone is enough, especially this awesome map.
    The in-game working mechanics, balance, map, lore and a bit of imagination will do the trick and when we'll start playing, the modelers will come by like moths to light.
    I don't know how to explain moths killing themselves in this analogy thought.

But it's a great idea. ;D!!

Ha, just use vanilla models as placeholders or something? I suppose that could work in the absence of people to make original unit models, and it would let us release something sooner lol.

Indeed, so, shall we do it then?

Quote Originally Posted by Sulfurion Blackfyre View Post
    Indeed, so, shall we do it then?
    Yes, what the hell, this way we might just get something that's sort of playable out in this lifetime. Prepare to use your imaginations during the battles folks.

Modelers, Y U NO WANT TO MAKE MODELS FOR THIS [awesome] MOD?

On a related note, I've just finished modifying the map regions for the Alpha layout. I'd just like to get the ports implemented and then I'll send you the updated files.