Thread: Warcraft: Total War (WTW) Original Thread

Default Re: Warcraft: Total War (WTW) [Alpha 1 Released]

I am back again! Sorry guys, it's a long story.

Is the music mod already finished?

WARCRAFT: TOTAL WAR TEAM MEMBER

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Quote Originally Posted by King of Stormwind View Post
    I am back again! Sorry guys, it's a long story.

Is the music mod already finished?
    No, it isn't - you could send me your files if you want.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by Warcrafthero View Post
    A little update, i have finished the high elves, naga and dwarves portraits, found a few ones for the qiraj and the nerubians (maybe they can share them? as their races are quite similar) still have to search for the troll ones. Also, i'm still trying to make the BE script work; i hope i will find a way
    I tried adding your portraits but they won't work as intended in the mod - the dwarven portraits spawn for all factions but the Scourge when i get adopted family members - that is to say at least for all elves, the humans and the Naga.

Didn't play more but the dwarven portraits are prioritized for some reason. What did you change in the way of structure in the folders? Maybe it's better to just add your portraits through the religion without changing things for other factions.

As the dwarves are overshadowing everyone i will remove the portraits for now and return the old ones.

Edit:

I've fixed the Night Elves, Naga, High Elves, Nerubians, Scourge, Burning Legion and Qhiraji portraits and will do the rest asap.

I believe the issue with the dwarven portraits and humans are the fact they aren't using the actual religion. So i will add it for all of them as well.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; October 14, 2017 at 05:52 PM.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again

- The Havamal

Hi Mr_Nygren, thank you for the version, downloading

About the Geomod error; resize "map_fog.tga" to 701x701. Remember to delete "historic_events.txt.strings" after closing Geomod as it corrupts that file, causing long loading times.

5)Who is this unit? a troll?

EDIT: Mr_Nygren i have a problem: When i start the mod i get a black screen CTD. From the log it seems that the cause are the animations
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    12:42:43.812 [system.io] [trace] pack close,,data/descr_settlement_mechanics.xml,,,-6553
    12:42:43.812 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/WTW/data/descr_ik_controller_db.txt
    12:42:43.812 [system.io] [trace] file open,,059FEAF8,,not found
    12:42:43.812 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_0.pack,data/descr_ik_controller_db.txt,5351
    12:42:43.812 [system.io] [info] open: found data/descr_ik_controller_db.txt (from: packs/data_0.pack)
    12:42:43.812 [system.io] [trace] pack close,,data/descr_ik_controller_db.txt,,,-5351
    12:42:43.812 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/WTW/data/descr_skeleton.txt (from: C:\Programmi\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    12:42:43.812 [system.io] [trace] file open,,05A2CFA0,1423739
    12:42:43.812 [system.io] [info] open: found mods/WTW/data/descr_skeleton.txt (from: C:\Programmi\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    12:42:43.812 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/WTW/data/animations/pack.idx (from: C:\Programmi\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    12:42:43.812 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/WTW/data/animations/pack.dat (from: C:\Programmi\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    12:42:43.812 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/WTW/data/animations/skeletons.idx (from: C:\Programmi\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    12:42:43.812 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/WTW/data/animations/skeletons.dat (from: C:\Programmi\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    12:42:44.031 [system.rpt] [error] Uh oh. This isn't good. No idea why, but exiting now. Sorry pal.
    as no other errors are present in the log. I have tried extracting the archive three times but with the same result BUT then i have tried using the animations folder from the previous archive (with no hyrule tw anims) and it runs fine. I have no idea what could have happened, maybe a corrupted download?. When you can, can you please send to me only the packed animations folder?

EDIT2: Also, the qiraj battle banners are missing, causing a CTD when testing them in custom battles:

missing files:
    faction_banner_timurids.texture
    faction_banner_timurids_trans.texture
    royal_banner_timurids.texture
    I resized the map-file and was able to enter the map into Geomod - but i can't click on the map which renders the program useless. It forces the mouse off from the map when trying to enter the area where the map is with the mouse?

Where you able to click on the actual map?

Edit:

I tried adding a region through the menu but the numbers can't be changed neither. Geomod doesn't work it would seem. It worked fine in WotN.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; October 15, 2017 at 01:57 PM.

- The Havamal

Centenarius

Geomod works fine on my pc, the mouse works normally; the soultion for your mouse problem could be solved by the posts in these two threads, hope they will be helpful

post #5

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...cursor-problem

post #2732

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...e#post14825219
    Temporarily retired from modding.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Nygren View Post
    No, it isn't - you could send me your files if you want.
    It sounds like a joke but I lost everything... I have to do it all again :/ No promises but you can expect the files in the end of the week

Ohh sh-it, I didn't notice until now that you guys pulled off a demo version! Congrats I'm very impressed!
    Sorry that I was not able to help the whole time

By the way... we made it into the biggest gamers-magazine in germany

Geomod works fine on my pc, the mouse works normally; the soultion for your mouse problem could be solved by the posts in these two threads, hope they will be helpful

post #5

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...cursor-problem

post #2732

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...e#post14825219
    Thanks, will look that up asap.

- The Havamal

It sounds like a joke but I lost everything... I have to do it all again :/ No promises but you can expect the files in the end of the week
    Man, how did you manage that? One day you said you were gonna send me everything and then i didn't hear from you in months - and now it's lost?

That sucks.

- I have all the files needed for a music mod but haven't started working on one. I made them all into MP3-files in beginning of septembre as they used to be wlac and other odd formats. Had you properly edited and cut the tracks? I will need to do that if going to use any of the tracks.

The demo has the music Eoghan added and i am not sure it's cut.. But at least it's almost the same songs playing in every battle - so not that much variation. If moving forward with offical music then it will need to be heavily cut. Bantu has been gathering non-official songs though that he thinks we should use. So depends.

- The Havamal

Ohh sh-it, I didn't notice until now that you guys pulled off a demo version! Congrats I'm very impressed!
    Sorry that I was not able to help the whole time

By the way... we made it into the biggest gamers-magazine in germany
    Ah, about the demo first i did release the same old version Eoghan released march 29 - this i did release aug 7. Then on sep 1 i decided to release an official demo where everything had been polished of the material already included in june 2 - but i removed the Naga as those six Naga units created up to this point didn't fit in the demo.

The demo was two months old when it was released, and now it's three months of development old - i did send you alot of versions during the summer, but i guess the links are now dead.

The mod has come a long way since the demo and almost all factions have their infantry and long ranged units finished or nearly finished. Only the insectoid armies of the Nerubians and Qiraji are still not done in that sense. Cavalry are lacking for everyone but the Humans and Naga though - but i am gonna add the Khaz'Modan and Dark Iron ones tonight.

The Naga are using beasts such as Couatls, Dragon Turtles and Snap Dragons - while the Dwarves are using rams and gryphons plus are likely to get Hydrocopters from Warhammer.

The humans are using griffons and horses.

The main problem with the recent version is that almost all rosters are lacking their UI portraits and so the mod doesn't look as finished if released in this way. There are many portraits in need of creation later.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; October 15, 2017 at 05:07 PM.

- The Havamal

Dwarven rams are running and walking fine, the dwarven riders look good but the rams themselves are grey.

- I did fix them in MS3D so that they look good, but still they are grey in the mod itself in battle - i don't have a clue how to fix this unfortunately..

I have written to WhiffOfGrapeshot but if he can't help then i don't know how to fix the texture. By some reason a few mounts can't be fixed when i do it. I managed to fix others such as giants and turtles plus the snap dragons. But these ridden ones seems harder to fix. They stay grey no matter what.

- The Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Nygren View Post
    Ah, about the demo first i did release the same old version Eoghan released march 29 - this i did release aug 7. Then on sep 1 i decided to release an official demo where everything had been polished of the material already included in june 2 - but i removed the Naga as those six Naga units created up to this point didn't fit in the demo.

The demo was two months old when it was released, and now it's three months of development old - i did send you alot of versions during the summer, but i guess the links are now dead.

The mod has come a long way since the demo and almost all factions have their infantry and long ranged units finished or nearly finished. Only the insectoid armies of the Nerubians and Qiraji are still not done in that sense. Cavalry are lacking for everyone but the Humans and Naga though - but i am gonna add the Khaz'Modan and Dark Iron ones tonight.

The Naga are using beasts such as Couatls, Dragon Turtles and Snap Dragons - while the Dwarves are using rams and gryphons plus are likely to get Hydrocopters from Warhammer.

The humans are using griffons and horses.

The main problem with the recent version is that almost all rosters are lacking their UI portraits and so the mod doesn't look as finished if released in this way. There are many portraits in need of creation later.
    I did cut the files already and that took a lot of time so you can imagine how depressed I was when everything was gone.. The funny thing is, that both my laptop and my pc decided to die at the SAME fu-cking day. And I was quite broke so I wasn't able to buy something new. At least until now.

Thanks for the briefing mate!

What about the mechanics for the campaign? I tested it out a bit yesterday and there is not much left for it to be playable. Does someone work on that?

I did cut the files already and that took a lot of time so you can imagine how depressed I was when everything was gone.. The funny thing is, that both my laptop and my pc decided to die at the SAME fu-cking day. And I was quite broke so I wasn't able to buy something new. At least until now.

Thanks for the briefing mate!

What about the mechanics for the campaign? I tested it out a bit yesterday and there is not much left for it to be playable. Does someone work on that?
    Yes, the campaign has been worked on since june and is very much playable - with alot of bugs fixed, buildings/recruitment added and new models being added into both the descr_strat and the EDB simultaneously. WarcraftHero even made retextures of buildings in battle.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; October 16, 2017 at 09:50 AM.

- The Havamal

Are there a lot of full stacks you face in the campaign? I have read in the previous pages that the intent is to have a fast paced campaign with easy recruitment. But I hope avaiability, cost, upkeep and recruitment time of units still get a proper balance. I of course wouldnt want to wait 4-5 turns to recruit a unit and 15 more turns to recruit it again but lots of full stacks filled with elites make the gameplay boring. Unending battles and elite unit grinding rather than employing tactics. Lower tier units become pointless as well.
    Last edited by Tureuki; October 16, 2017 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tureuki View Post
    Are there a lot of full stacks you face in the campaign? I have read in the previous pages that the intent is to have a fast paced campaign with easy recruitment. But I hope avaiability, cost, upkeep and recruitment time of units still get a proper balance. I of course wouldnt want to wait 4-5 turns to recruit a unit and 15 more turns to recruit it again but lots of full stacks filled with elites make the gameplay boring. Unending battles and elite unit grinding rather than employing tactics. Lower tier units become pointless as well.
    I don't know where you've read that. The recruitment is made up so that the only available units in the beginning queues are militias and weak units.

But all factions have two starting armies plus starting militias/mediums in all their starting settlements or starting general armies.

So wars Will start immediately, but build buildings and focus on the economy before the starting forces are beaten or you won't get new ones.

Sulfurion based the recruitment system on vanilla. I like starting armies to be able to play immediately for testing purposes. We may change such things before a release but Sulfs recruitment won't be changed.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; October 16, 2017 at 11:31 AM.

- The Havamal

Hi Mr_Nygren, thank you for the version, downloading

About the Geomod error; resize "map_fog.tga" to 701x701. Remember to delete "historic_events.txt.strings" after closing Geomod as it corrupts that file, causing long loading times.

5)Who is this unit? a troll?

EDIT: Mr_Nygren i have a problem: When i start the mod i get a black screen CTD. From the log it seems that the cause are the animations
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    12:42:43.812 [system.io] [trace] pack close,,data/descr_settlement_mechanics.xml,,,-6553
    12:42:43.812 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/WTW/data/descr_ik_controller_db.txt
    12:42:43.812 [system.io] [trace] file open,,059FEAF8,,not found
    12:42:43.812 [system.io] [trace] pack open,packs/data_0.pack,data/descr_ik_controller_db.txt,5351
    12:42:43.812 [system.io] [info] open: found data/descr_ik_controller_db.txt (from: packs/data_0.pack)
    12:42:43.812 [system.io] [trace] pack close,,data/descr_ik_controller_db.txt,,,-5351
    12:42:43.812 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/WTW/data/descr_skeleton.txt (from: C:\Programmi\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    12:42:43.812 [system.io] [trace] file open,,05A2CFA0,1423739
    12:42:43.812 [system.io] [info] open: found mods/WTW/data/descr_skeleton.txt (from: C:\Programmi\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    12:42:43.812 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/WTW/data/animations/pack.idx (from: C:\Programmi\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    12:42:43.812 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/WTW/data/animations/pack.dat (from: C:\Programmi\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    12:42:43.812 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/WTW/data/animations/skeletons.idx (from: C:\Programmi\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    12:42:43.812 [system.io] [info] exists: found mods/WTW/data/animations/skeletons.dat (from: C:\Programmi\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    12:42:44.031 [system.rpt] [error] Uh oh. This isn't good. No idea why, but exiting now. Sorry pal.
    as no other errors are present in the log. I have tried extracting the archive three times but with the same result BUT then i have tried using the animations folder from the previous archive (with no hyrule tw anims) and it runs fine. I have no idea what could have happened, maybe a corrupted download?. When you can, can you please send to me only the packed animations folder?

EDIT2: Also, the qiraj battle banners are missing, causing a CTD when testing them in custom battles:

missing files:
    faction_banner_timurids.texture
    faction_banner_timurids_trans.texture
    royal_banner_timurids.texture
    I only had about tree units left to add, but i have fu-cked up - i will try to restore an older version. The Geomod program changed more than the map_fog-file after saving and i can't enter the game. So will need to try and restore everything.

- The Havamal

I would need a list of all the files affected by a Geomod save.. Until i get that list i can't continue moding the mod, and the mod will not be worked on.

I tried returning the old map_fog-file but still a CTD during start-up. Geomod seems to have messed up the mod-files.

Only option is to replace all the changed files with old files.

Edit:

Geomod worked fine in WotN, so i didn't save a backup of the entire mod. This means unless i can get a list of all the affected files i will need to go back to the old release and re-add alot of stuff. Which will take time..

I don't understand why the mod won't start after i fixed things in Geomod such as religious levels being below 100 in certain settlements. Of course i should and could have fixed this in the descr_regions-file instead. Because Geomod made the game not start..

Second edit:

It didn't help to replace all the map-files in the world/base-folder. It still CTD:s at startup - which means other files were affected as well.

The log says something about alot of units that were working fine previously so no help in there.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; October 17, 2017 at 11:04 PM.

- The Havamal

Something is very off.. I replaced the files in the base and text-folders with older ones from the latest release - then i saved all the files i had open still in notepad++ and the mod started and seemed fine in the menu..

But when starting the campaign as Lordaeron Quel'Thalas won immediately. I have no idea why this has happened and believe alot of stuff will need to be re-done and added yet again to the older version.

Geomod fu-cked up big time.

Edit:

I removed descr_scripts, descr_events, descr_mercenaries and the descr_win_conditions that were all affected by the Geomod program.. - Now the mod seems to work fine in the campaign at the start, but i still fear it may be unstable or CTD. I will need to playtest it and if it's stable then everything is fine once again, and if not - alot will need to be portad to the older version then.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; October 17, 2017 at 11:24 PM.

- The Havamal

Centenarius

Quelthalas faction have no entry in descr_win_conditions.txt maybe that's the cause of their instant win?. If you need a list of the files "touched" by Geomod, look at post #2 of this thread, there's a list. At this point i guess it's better to not use it if it breaks the mod
    Temporarily retired from modding.

Are the general/captain models yet implemented in the campaign map? I cant look myself because I dont have the new version