Thread: Warcraft: Total War (WTW) Original Thread

Default Re: Warcraft: Total War (WTW) [Alpha 1 Released]

It just can't be done without being half-assed, I mean it's even in the word, they would be generic.

Medieval II has too many limitations already that forces us to remove a lot of faction individualization. What you are essentially suggesting is that by adding more factions, then the few things that we managed to compromise to achieve some manner of faction/race personality, would be lost. Every faction would essentially become generic and boring apart from faction symbols and units to differentiate each other.

I mean I understand that you as a unit maker would want to make a load of them, touch basically every faction and race present in WoW. That's great initiative, but the rest of us modders that have to deal with 2D art and general modding just understand the mess that would create

Bantu Chieftain's Avatar Biarchus

I found a ballista that trolls could use and i need information about converting it. Am i going to face the same problem like i did with the mounts?

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Quote Originally Posted by Bantu Chieftain View Post
    I found a ballista that trolls could use and i need information about converting it. Am i going to face the same problem like i did with the mounts?
    The only thing i do know is that siege engines are different and doesn't have the lod-text at the end of their model file names when used.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

EDITED:
    There are some ballistas from WoW you can use as concepts.
    1 is the Darkspear one which you can base the ballistas of most troll factions while the Zandalari one can be the base for the Gurubashi since its seprent design resembles their god and could be a nice visual variation.
    Last edited by jim501; June 22, 2017 at 02:30 PM.

Centenarius

For the mounts and elephant based mounts you can try asking to Smolka, the creator of the Planetwar mod; for the siege engines you can try with the Europa Barbarorum II team, if i remember correctly there are new siege engines.

Also, a quick question: The Kul'tiras marines unit is intended as an AOR unit for all the human factions? or they are an exclusive AOR unit avaiable only to Theramore and Lordaeron? I noticed this while looking at their entry in the battle_models as they don't have a line for the rebels.
    Temporarily retired from modding.

Quote Originally Posted by Warcrafthero View Post
    For the mounts and elephant based mounts you can try asking to Smolka, the creator of the Planetwar mod; for the siege engines you can try with the Europa Barbarorum II team, if i remember correctly there are new siege engines.

Also, a quick question: The Kul'tiras marines unit is intended as an AOR unit for all the human factions? or they are an exclusive AOR unit avaiable only to Theramore and Lordaeron? I noticed this while looking at their entry in the battle_models as they don't have a line for the rebels.
    Smolka hasn't been online in over a year last i checked..

Siege engines there are Roman ones - not troll ones .

Siege engines in Hyrule could fit the Naga though.

They are supposed to be a Theramore only unit i believe.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again

- The Havamal

An off-topic question: Do any of you guys have that issue where one has a high-end pc, yet Medieval 2 runs slow? Especially with shadows (like campaign shadows on?) Because of the single core compatibility?

I had that issue for years and no one anywhere seemed to have any clues. And today I just found the fix, just like that. And again, from what I know, it's an issue that doesn't really have a solution. I don't know wether I should share it in the general Medieval 2 forums or not...

Quote Originally Posted by Sulfurion Blackfyre View Post
    An off-topic question: Do any of you guys have that issue where one has a high-end pc, yet Medieval 2 runs slow? Especially with shadows (like campaign shadows on?) Because of the single core compatibility?

I had that issue for years and no one anywhere seemed to have any clues. And today I just found the fix, just like that. And again, from what I know, it's an issue that doesn't really have a solution. I don't know wether I should share it in the general Medieval 2 forums or not...
    The fix?

Beginning of the End Times has a 4gb patch which one could use.

Then it's an outlawed patch i can't mention. Have you found something else?

- The Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Nygren View Post
    The fix?

Beginning of the End Times has a 4gb patch which one could use.

Then it's an outlawed patch i can't mention. Have you found something else?
    Yeah I'm not sure about the nature of this. It's a .dll file.

I was searching for a fix for Rome Total War's lag on the newer systems, and ended up in a youtube video that provided a link with that .dll file. All one has to do is put it into the main Rome folder and the game runs a wonder again.

So I remembered the issue I had with Medieval 2 and tried to put the file there too, just to see if it worked. And now the game is as smooth as a 10 year old game should be on a modern system.

For example, I tried running TATW. Before, even without shadows, scrolling through Mirkwood resulted in extreme lag due to all the trees. With the .dll file it now runs extremely smooth, no lag or stutter at all, even with shadows on. It's amazing.

Yeah I'm not sure about the nature of this. It's a .dll file.

I was searching for a fix for Rome Total War's lag on the newer systems, and ended up in a youtube video that provided a link with that .dll file. All one has to do is put it into the main Rome folder and the game runs a wonder again.

So I remembered the issue I had with Medieval 2 and tried to put the file there too, just to see if it worked. And now the game is as smooth as a 10 year old game should be on a modern system.

For example, I tried running TATW. Before, even without shadows, scrolling through Mirkwood resulted in extreme lag due to all the trees. With the .dll file it now runs extremely smooth, no lag or stutter at all, even with shadows on. It's amazing.
    Then it's not that file i was thinking about.. Because with it you had to patch something - so you are basically saying it's enough to place it in the main directory?

Pm a link to that file plz.

- The Havamal

I didn't see much of a difference on my laptop. Will try on the gaming pc and see if there are any difference.

- The Havamal

Just to let everyone know that this mod is still going strong - Bantu is continuously creating new models for this mod and i've gotten the following that i will implement soon:

Farraki Ranged Units plus two more heavy infantry units - got them a couple of days ago.

Farraki Raptor Riders and Naga re-worked Couatl, Dragon Turtle and Snap Dragon - got them a couple of days ago. - We will need help with the textures and in some cases the vertices etc.

Bantu has recently finished a troll ballista and officers for the Naga and the Farraki including the Illidan hero - i haven't gotten access to these yet.

I've also gotten a naga-crew and a Farraki-crew for siege engines like two days ago - i believe the Naga will need siege engines first but i am thinking of using a catapult and/or a ballista from Hyrule to begin with. The River Zola and Lanayuru Province have some fitting ones i think. - Then i can just implement these new crews.

Bantu said he has also gathered enough material to do the remaining Troll Factions. - Basically the only thing remaining to be done will be the mounts as they have these glitched textures that we can't seem to solve. Besides the mounts i'd say the Farraki and the Naga are basically done - and there is a chance the other trolls will also get the same treatment.

Finally Bantu wrote on Skype that he has created one or so unit for one of the other priority factions. I'll let him tell you more about that faction though.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; June 24, 2017 at 06:15 AM.

- The Havamal

Centenarius

Just to let everyone know that this mod is still going strong - Bantu is continuously creating new models for this mod and i've gotten the following that i will implement soon:

Farraki Ranged Units plus two more heavy infantry units - got them a couple of days ago.

Farraki Raptor Riders and Naga re-worked Couatl, Dragon Turtle and Snap Dragon - got them a couple of days ago. - We will need help with the textures and in some cases the vertices etc.

Bantu has recently finished a troll ballista and officers for the Naga and the Farraki including the Illidan hero - i haven't gotten access to these yet.

I've also gotten a naga-crew and a Farraki-crew for siege engines like two days ago - i believe the Naga will need siege engines first but i am thinking of using a catapult and/or a ballista from Hyrule to begin with. The River Zola and Lanayuru Province have some fitting ones i think. - Then i can just implement these new crews.

Bantu said he has also gathered enough material to do the remaining Troll Factions. - Basically the only thing remaining to be done will be the mounts as they have these glitched textures that we can't seem to solve. Besides the mounts i'd say the Farraki and the Naga are basically done - and there is a chance the other trolls will also get the same treatment.

Finally Bantu wrote on Skype that he has created one or so unit for one of the other priority factions. I'll let him tell you more about that faction though.
    Great! thank you for the news. About the problem with vertices and textures, you can try asking to user "alreadyded" he created a submod for TATW with monsters, elephant-based mounts
    Temporarily retired from modding.

Just spent a few hours playing the latest version uploaded in the repository playing as the rebels and clicking next turn. This was done in preparation for the implementation of changes by WarcraftHero and Bantu's new Farraki units. I managed to play over 274 turns and no CTD:s - i quit at turn 274 and no CTD:s up until then.

Now that i know it is as stable as before even with the new settlement textures etc, i will most likely add WarcraftHero's new rebel and Forsaken textures that he sent me yesterday as well as start implementing those Farraki ranged units, the crews, the siege engines and that's it.

The mounts are still a problem - i will announce for help regarding those.

What about strat-models for generals and captains? Shouldn't be too difficult transforming a battle-model into a strat-model.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kingdoms 2017-06-25 11-29-10-424.jpg   kingdoms 2017-06-25 11-29-18-085.jpg   kingdoms 2017-06-25 11-38-31-028.jpg   kingdoms 2017-06-25 11-38-34-797.jpg   kingdoms 2017-06-25 11-38-58-551.jpg  

Last edited by Mr_Nygren; June 25, 2017 at 04:58 AM.

- The Havamal

Just spent a few hours playing the latest version uploaded in the repository playing as the rebels and clicking next turn. This was done in preparation for the implementation of changes by WarcraftHero and Bantu's new Farraki units. I managed to play over 274 turns and no CTD:s - i quit at turn 274 and no CTD:s up until then.

Now that i know it is as stable as before even with the new settlement textures etc, i will most likely add WarcraftHero's new rebel and Forsaken textures that he sent me yesterday as well as start implementing those Farraki ranged units, the crews, the siege engines and that's it.

The mounts are still a problem - i will announce for help regarding those.

What about strat-models for generals and captains? Shouldn't be too difficult transforming a battle-model into a strat-model.
    That's great, apparently you have had no CTD's at all, even in the previous times. Which is strange because as I had told you it happened to me again, using the latest version. It crashed around turn 20+. I haven't tried it again because I've been busy with exams and stuff, and I'm waiting for all of it to end before focusing on WTW again. Hopefully my crash was an anomaly.

About the strat map captains. I think some factions could use some of the units already, yes. For example the human factions could do as in vanilla and use the winged captain model as a Captain. And the golden armor generals as, well, named characters/family members.

Same with the Horde I supposed, captains could use a Grunt model, and Generals could use the Korkron Bodyguard model?

I will look into the matter later. Im still fixing the dark iron units i made, found a nasty glitch.

Dark irons got their melee roster. But they still need a spear unit which is unadequate in their ranks. Maybe some halberd or pike unit?

Dark irons got their melee roster. But they still need a spear unit which is unadequate in their ranks. Maybe some halberd or pike unit?
    Dark Iron's aren't known to fight as organized as Ironforge dwarves, yes. But they still need an anti-cavalry infantry unit for flair and balance purposes.

I suggest a halberd using armored unit, kind of medium-high tier, since they are an exception to their roster.

That's great, apparently you have had no CTD's at all, even in the previous times. Which is strange because as I had told you it happened to me again, using the latest version. It crashed around turn 20+. I haven't tried it again because I've been busy with exams and stuff, and I'm waiting for all of it to end before focusing on WTW again. Hopefully my crash was an anomaly.

About the strat map captains. I think some factions could use some of the units already, yes. For example the human factions could do as in vanilla and use the winged captain model as a Captain. And the golden armor generals as, well, named characters/family members.

Same with the Horde I supposed, captains could use a Grunt model, and Generals could use the Korkron Bodyguard model?
    Hello guys, got into a bad mood yesterday and didn't get much else done after playing those 274 turns.

It's odd that it crashed for you at turn 20 - it never CTD:s for me before turn 33 and in the most recent two versions i haven't gotten a crash after moving the Legion. So maybe it's luck? Don't know for sure.

I think we should use the captains/generals as strat-generals. And then faction leaders can be saved for later. There are such units for the humans, the Horde/Dark Horde, the Scourge, the Naga and the Farraki.

I've got information on how to do this and will send it to Bantu - it really shouldn't be that hard. Basically the same process as for a battlemodel.

You load a stratmap-model into milkshape, remove the model but keep the skeleton, import the new battlemodel as a .obj and add it to the skeleton.

The only part that would be a little bothersome would be the texture as the stratmap-models are using only one texture.

An alternative to my suggestion is to use the general officer as a strat-model for the generals - and the most basic unit as the captains, like the Grunts for the Horde.

- The Havamal

Man are you active! Will try to add most or all the Farraki units today as well as the Naga officers, siege engiens and crews.

The plan is also to give the Naga custom settlements in battle for each of their settlement levels - there are good ones in Hyrule we could use.

- The Havamal