Thread: Warcraft: Total War (WTW) Original Thread

Default Re: Warcraft: Total War (WTW)

If this mod is released it will surely gather up a large following of Blizzard fans for CA. I've played Warcraft: Orcs and Humans and Warcraft 2 since '98 and that game highlights my childhood. Warcraft 3 wasn't too bad either. Nice progress guys and good luck.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

Warcraft 3 wasn't too bad
    EA Releases its version of Cyberpunk 2077 trailer
    ˙ǝsɐǝןd „ƃuıןןoɹʇ„ ǝuıɟǝp

Well, as a hipster "liked-it-before-you-did" fan, I can say that Warcraft 3 was a radical departure from the its predecessors and in most ways not for the better. Kind of like Empire was for fans of RTW-M2TW, and how RTW was for MTW fans. The story and artwork were great (aside from pandas/extreme silliness), but gameplay took a turn for the worse.. I'm glad Blizzard didn't make the same mistake with Starcraft2.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected. - G.K. CHESTERTON

Quote Originally Posted by atheniandp View Post
    Well, as a hipster "liked-it-before-you-did" fan, I can say that Warcraft 3 was a radical departure from the its predecessors and in most ways not for the better. Kind of like Empire was for fans of RTW-M2TW, and how RTW was for MTW fans. The story and artwork were great (aside from pandas/extreme silliness), but gameplay took a turn for the worse.. I'm glad Blizzard didn't make the same mistake with Starcraft2.
    Yeah I also play Warcraft since the first game and it was indeed a big difference. The third game itself was great and I still remember being awestruck at the story and graphics (for that time) and general ambience, but the addition of the "real-time rpg" elements and the reduction of army sizes and added "silliness" and all that steampunk pseudo-epic crap (which I hate, in W3 wasn't so bad but on WoW it turns me off completely) was actually very different from the much grimdark setting of the previous Warcraft games.

Warcraft was always Steampunk. And looking at previous WC games, WC3 seemed far darker.

Did Morave appear again Sulph?
    EA Releases its version of Cyberpunk 2077 trailer
    ˙ǝsɐǝןd „ƃuıןןoɹʇ„ ǝuıɟǝp

The steampunk stuff began in Warcraft 2, with the goblins/dwarves/gnomes, the ships, foundries, flying machines/zeppelins etc. Warcraft began as a pretty dark story in Orcs and Humans and gradually progressed into something more comical throughout the years. I just think Warcraft 2 perfected the stylistic blend of cartoon and grittiness. Warcraft 3 introduced more races and a more complex story, but at the cost of the traditional dualistic goodness of the series. WoW was nice, but the way it killed off the antagonists of its predecessor was anticlimactic.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
    To be honest, one of the main things that went against this mod was the fact that it probably overreached itself in its design. I don't want this to be taken the wrong way, but creating different models for so many completely unique factions was going to be a pain in the bum and something you guys were going to struggle with. We've all overreached ourselves, I did the same thing back with WotR for Warcraft 3, too many distinct races and not enough modelling/triggering talent spelt its end.

A warcraft mod could still work, it'd need to focus on a period of time where you can have multiple factions using similar unit models (or at least, the basis of a model with slight variations for each faction). I personally still hold a period set 100-80 years before The Dark Portal opened and set on the Eastern Kingdoms as the perfect time frame, especially since you can still have The Horde appearing in a Mongol Invasion style scenario.

I say this is very possible just need a dedicated team that knows what they do. Look at Third Age total war. That has alot of custom models of different races and custom battle maps. Like Minis Tirith map that is ridiculous detailed. Maybe the modders that are left here should ask the developers of Third Age how they did it. On a random note good to see people still talking here even if it has become more of a Warcraft general discussion lol

Quote Originally Posted by Shika_mech View Post
    Maybe the modders that are left here should ask the developers of Third Age how they did it.
    Dedication.

this......looks..........freacking......AWESOME!
    Last edited by SandraDevilGirl; May 07, 2012 at 04:00 PM.

this......looks.......... freaking......AWESOME!

Petroniu's Avatar Domesticus

Well I wish you W3 dev team all the luck in the world to finally release something after all the time and effort invested in this. I always wanted a more strategic view of W3 rather then the Blizzard's RPG choice of WoW. You guys almost made that possible and who knows, maybe with a little help from the community you still have a chance.
    RTWRM - back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by Petroniu View Post
    Well I wish you W3 dev team all the luck in the world to finally release something after all the time and effort invested in this. I always wanted a more strategic view of W3 rather then the Blizzard's RPG choice of WoW. You guys almost made that possible and who knows, maybe with a little help from the community you still have a chance.
    Yea I would love for this mod to go the distance. The way Total war is with the Warcraft spin would be an epic combination. To the Dev team if you guys are still reading this if there is anyway I could help let me know.

Hey, Ya Dev Team Quick Idea, Finish up With most of the Core Unit functions and then release a Test Demo with tmsot Custom units Done for all factions and Maybe a few maps cause that would help your cause ALOT more

or just focus on humans is really not as hard as trying to push in a good amount of factions for first beta release.
    well hopefuly blizzard can make WoW just a dream and start wc4 off of wc3 TFT ending.
    Last edited by Wowwars; May 13, 2012 at 07:03 PM.
    United we stand interenets! Nerdfighter.
    Warcraft Total War!
    Help Save a Wonderful mod that could
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=273449
    You guys should register for the golden Symbol of Forum Oppression http://signup.europauniversalis4.com/r/89425f5ce60

Is there an alpha download or anything that the public can try?
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

"attack the argument, not the person saying it" -lee1026
    Sig by Manji

DekuTrash's Avatar Human Directional
    Content Emeritus

No, unfortunately this mod is pretty much dead.

I saw that HappyCrusader did some resource work back in april so hopefully this isnt dead.

It's not dead. It's just stagnant.
    Death suggests no possibility of continuation, and they have some amazing stuff already done.
    I'd gladly play some on that superb map alone!

One of the most ambitious modifications I have ever seen, also, one of the best! I don't think it's dead but I can imagine the team needing to take a break from it. They've done some amazing work and I think everyone in the community is behind them 100% in this mod.
    "If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution."
    - Emma Goldman

AARS:

In Progress:
    1 - The Guns of Hochland (Call of Warhammer Medieval II Modification)
    2 - No Emperors, No Shoguns (Shogun II)

xxxMoRaVexxx's Avatar Ordinarius

I very much hope your correct. I hope someone can replace or imitate or make better models than what I did with the Lordaeron faction here. I really, really, really hope I can recover those stuff so I can pass it to someone willing to work in this project again.

Even if I am a former member of this mod I really had no idea where the other people working on this are. But I hope they find other talented people here to start on this again.