Thread: Warcraft: Total War (WTW) Original Thread

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Default Re: Warcraft: Total War (WTW) [Alpha 1 Released]

Quote Originally Posted by Warcrafthero View Post
    Quelthalas faction have no entry in descr_win_conditions.txt maybe that's the cause of their instant win?. If you need a list of the files "touched" by Geomod, look at post #2 of this thread, there's a list. At this point i guess it's better to not use it if it breaks the mod
    The issue with Quel'Thalas was somehow caused by saving the mod in Geomod - it wasn't an issue before.

- I think i've managed to return the mod as it was, but will doublecheck those files just to be sure i didn't miss any.

Win conditions for Quel'Thalas will have to be added nonetheless.

We need to fix the CTD:s at the Dark Portal, Kharazhan, Zul'Gurub and other settlements in that Eastern Kingdoms corner of the map. I will playtest to see if my fixed religious levels have fixed the CTD:s, as i think the settlements who did CTD when trying to enter RTS battles also had a religious level below 100 in total. But it may not be this issue that caused the CTD - i need to playtest to be sure.
    If it didn't fix the CTD then we have a problem as whenever Stormwind and another faction fights in those areas it will CTD - it's just luck this won't happen that often.

Also, we would like fifty new regions as there is still enough space for that. But without being able to save Geomod that will be hard.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; October 18, 2017 at 07:48 AM.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by King of Stormwind View Post
    Are the general/captain models yet implemented in the campaign map? I cant look myself because I dont have the new version
    The heroes that are in custom battles in the demo?

Most of them are WC1 heroes and not family members in the WC3 era - i did however use everyone but the Ogre hero as placeholder unique models for the new family members/heroes/generals of WC3 - plus Arthas, Jaina and other created WC3 heroes are of course implemented. I do remember Thrall working in an earlier build, but being off in another - so not sure everyone works but most should.

This should have been done already in the demo, or just after - it's not really news. Bantu has created alot of generals for other factions since then.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again

- The Havamal

This is mentioned in Bloodsail buccaneer's story

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Drisburg

Not sure if it would have any strategical impact in campaign gameplay(Its in the same island as Boralus I guess).

Some regions definietly need new settlements. Farraki for example has Gadgetzan and Uldum as nearest settlements. Both are heavily guarded and should be very challenging to take. Lost Rigger Cove(Behind Caverns of Time) is an ideal choice, it has proper buildings, watchtowers, a palisade wall. Dunemaul Compound is also in an ideal location in the center of Tanaris but not sure if it can be considered a proper settlement.

Quote Originally Posted by Tureuki View Post
    This is mentioned in Bloodsail buccaneer's story

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Drisburg

Not sure if it would have any strategical impact in campaign gameplay(Its in the same island as Boralus I guess).

Some regions definietly need new settlements. Farraki for example has Gadgetzan and Uldum as nearest settlements. Both are heavily guarded and should be very challenging to take. Lost Rigger Cove(Behind Caverns of Time) is an ideal choice, it has proper buildings, watchtowers, a palisade wall. Dunemaul Compound is also in an ideal location in the center of Tanaris but not sure if it can be considered a proper settlement.
    Without getting Geomod to work when saving the map, without it messing up the mod and rendering it unstartable - we can't really add settlements.

However, Gadgetzan and Uldum are already on the map - the rebels will not be created until after the next release which will only have playable factions. We want to add the Scarlet Fleet and a new region where they supposedly landed near the frozen shore in the Frozen Throne timeline. Just like the Naga are also FT, the Scarlet Fleet should also be represented in Northrend.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; October 18, 2017 at 08:23 AM.

- The Havamal

You guys resurrected this mod when it was death, cremated and had its ashes in an urn. I'm sure you can solve any problem :p

Centenarius

We don't need Geomod to add new regions, The Happy Crusader can add them if he agrees; we could compile a list of possible new settlements and discuss with him. King of Stormwind, the strat map models are still the vanilla ones, a bit recolored but the battle models can be converted later to create strat map models
    Temporarily retired from modding.

We don't need Geomod to add new regions, The Happy Crusader can add them if he agrees; we could compile a list of possible new settlements and discuss with him. King of Stormwind, the strat map models are still the vanilla ones, a bit recolored but the battle models can be converted later to create strat map models
    The problem is TheHappyCrusader hasn't written since way back in august when PCGamer wrote the article. Not sure we can count on him to do anything anymore - that's why the Geomod issue is still up.

Ah, so he meant the stratmodels? Yeah, some of them are also placeholders from Warhammer and Hyrule.. But all of that will be replaced when the battlemodels are done.

- The Havamal

I had a lot of free time and decided to waste it like this. I tried to ignore wow era alliance/horde locations. Forgot Crestfall, little isle east of Kul Tiras. Also, locations might be a little off. Keep in mind that some of those settlements are pretty small and irrevelant but have good location and have no good alternative.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

1) Dunemaul Compound
    -Village or motte and bailey
    -Garrisoned by ogres

2) Lost Rigger Cove
    -Town
    -Garrisoned by pirates

1) Gorishi Hive : It might appeared after the starting date but there is no other viable settlement in Un'goro crater.
    -Village
    -Garrisoned by silithid

2) Southwind
    -Village or town depending on strategical need
    -Garrisoned by either silithid or night elves depending on if you consider War of the shifting sands a past or future event.

3) Hive'Zora
    -Motte and bailey
    -Garrisoned by silithid

4) Hive'Regal
    -Town
    -Garrisoned by silithid

**Second Cenarion hold at north is Valor's Rest

1) Bramblescar
    -Village
    -Garrisoned by quilboars

2) Lushwater Oasis
    -Village
    -Garrisoned by centaurs

3) Blackthorn Ridge
    -Motte and bailey
    -Garrisoned by quilboars

1) Thal'darah Grove
    -Motte and bailey
    -Garrison by night elf druids and taurens

2) Stardust Spire
    -Village
    -Garrison by night elves? Or furbolgs

3) Dry Hill??: Thats just a harpy area with some tree nests, added because area was empty, might be unnecessary
    -Village
    -Garrisoned by harpies

Thal'darah Grove and Stardust Spire can belong to Night elf faction I guess? But this would probably unnecessarily boost their power.

1) Darkcloud Pinnacle
    -Town
    -Garrisoned by tauren

1) Satrynaar
    -Town
    -Garrisoned by satrys

2) Temple of Arkkoran
    -Motte and bailey
    -Garrisoned by murlocs(and may be sea giants)

**Talrendis point was too close to Satrynaar thats why I didnt included it.
    **Mazthoril is a possible settlement south west of Everlook. I forgot it.

1) Mo'grosh Stronghold
    -Motte and bailey
    -Garrisoned by ogres

2) Dustbelch Grotto: Location is wrong, it was actually at the southwestern corner, but it was close to Uldaman on map, and eastern was side was completely empty.
    -Motte and bailey
    -Garrisoned by ogres.

1) Mosh'Ogg Ogre Mound
    -Motte and bailey
    -Garrisoned by ogres

2) Thats the real location of Zul'Mamwe

3) Aboraz
    -Village
    -Garrisoned by jungle trolls

4) Mizjah
    -Village
    -Garrisoned by ogres
    Last edited by Tureuki; October 18, 2017 at 02:58 PM.

I had a lot of free time and decided to waste it like this. I tried to ignore wow era alliance/horde locations. Forgot Crestfall, little isle east of Kul Tiras. Also, locations might be a little off. Keep in mind that some of those settlements are pretty small and irrevelant but have good location and have no good alternative.

1) Dunemaul Compound
    -Village or motte and bailey
    -Garrisoned by ogres

2) Lost Rigger Cove
    -Town
    -Garrisoned by pirates

1) Gorishi Hive : It might appeared after the starting date but there is no other viable settlement in Un'goro crater.
    -Village
    -Garrisoned by silithid

2) Southwind
    -Village or town depending on strategical need
    -Garrisoned by either silithid or night elves depending on if you consider War of the shifting sands a past or future event.

3) Hive'Zora
    -Motte and bailey
    -Garrisoned by silithid

4) Hive'Regal
    -Town
    -Garrisoned by silithid

**Second Cenarion hold at north is Valor's Rest

1) Bramblescar
    -Village
    -Garrisoned by quilboars

2) Lushwater Oasis
    -Village
    -Garrisoned by centaurs

3) Blackthorn Ridge
    -Motte and bailey
    -Garrisoned by quilboars

1) Thal'darah Grove
    -Motte and bailey
    -Garrison by night elf druids and taurens

2) Stardust Spire
    -Village
    -Garrison by night elves? Or furbolgs

3) Dry Hill??: Thats just a harpy area with some tree nests, added because area was empty, might be unnecessary
    -Village
    -Garrisoned by harpies

Thal'darah Grove and Stardust Spire can belong to Night elf faction I guess? But this would probably unnecessarily boost their power.

1) Darkcloud Pinnacle
    -Town
    -Garrisoned by tauren

1) Satrynaar
    -Town
    -Garrisoned by satrys

2) Temple of Arkkoran
    -Motte and bailey
    -Garrisoned by murlocs(and may be sea giants)

**Talrendis point was too close to Satrynaar thats why I didnt included it.
    **Mazthoril is a possible settlement south west of Everlook. I forgot it.

1) Mo'grosh Stronghold
    -Motte and bailey
    -Garrisoned by ogres

2) Dustbelch Grotto: Location is wrong, it was actually at the southwestern corner, but it was close to Uldaman on map, and eastern was side was completely empty.
    -Motte and bailey
    -Garrisoned by ogres.

1) Mosh'Ogg Ogre Mound
    -Motte and bailey
    -Garrisoned by ogres

2) Thats the real location of Zul'Mamwe

3) Aboraz
    -Village
    -Garrisoned by jungle trolls

4) Mizjah
    -Village
    -Garrisoned by ogres
    Thanks for your ideas, suggestions and great details of the garrisions. Geomod might be troublesome to get a hold of - but i sure like your ideas of new regions and settlements - we also do have most of those units as parts of already existing armies - such as Murlocs (Naga), Sea Giants (Naga), Quilboars (Scourge), Ogres (Dark Horde), Silithids (Ahn'Qiraj), Night Elf Druids (Night Elves) and jungle trolls (Gurubashi/Dreadspear).

However, we are still lacking most rebel units and do not have centaurs, harpies and many others yet. I guess when all the playable armies are done we will add those rosters as rebels - the slave faction has every unit that is implemented so many of your ideas could be realized. But the bigger portion would not come with the next release, out of the rebel units. Bantu plans to include many rebels.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; October 18, 2017 at 03:37 PM.

- The Havamal

That is good! It is a little detail with the campaign map models but has a huge impact on immersion and atmosphere.
    Would be nice to see them in the next update!

As for the music I now have the files gathered. Next thing to do is testing out the current release to check out which parts of the music are already fine and which ones should be replaced.
    Then I'm gonna make a pretty little list picking the right tracks and then cut them together.

WARCRAFT: TOTAL WAR TEAM MEMBER

I have some really good news!

The settlements of Nethergarde Keep, the Dark Portal, Stonard and Marchtide Watch all do work in RTS after fixing their religious values.

A bad thing is that Kharazhan still CTD:s and it's in the passage between Stormwind and those other now working regions.. I still have to test Zul'Gurub, Zul'Drak and a few others.. But i will look up Kharazhan again and see if i have missed out on something. Otherwise it's pretty annoying if that's the only one who refuses to work.

- The Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by King of Stormwind View Post
    That is good! It is a little detail with the campaign map models but has a huge impact on immersion and atmosphere.
    Would be nice to see them in the next update!

As for the music I now have the files gathered. Next thing to do is testing out the current release to check out which parts of the music are already fine and which ones should be replaced.
    Then I'm gonna make a pretty little list picking the right tracks and then cut them together.
    Next official moddb update? Sure.

Next developer update - no way.

The music is still the same as in the oldest version.

- The Havamal

Bad news:

After the Karazhan crash the other four settlements returned to not working..

I believe it must have to do with what terrain the settlements start the battle with. Like if it's certain terrain it will CTD or something. Can't otherwise explain why it works and then it doesn't. Must be different terrain spawning and if the wrong spawns it might CTD?

Log:

Code:
    23:55:18.089 [system.io] [info] exists:   found mods/WTW/data/loading_screen/loading_bar.tga (from: D:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    23:55:18.089 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/WTW/data/loading_screen/loading_bar.tga.dds
    23:55:18.089 [system.io] [info] exists:   found mods/WTW/data/loading_screen/loading_bar.tga (from: D:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    23:55:18.089 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/WTW/mods/WTW/data/loading_screen/loading_bar.tga
    23:55:18.089 [system.io] [trace] file open,,mods/WTW/data/loading_screen/loading_bar.tga.dds,,not found
    23:55:18.089 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/WTW/data/loading_screen/loading_bar.tga.dds is missing
    23:55:18.090 [system.io] [trace] file open,,mods/WTW/data/loading_screen/loading_bar.tga,262188
    23:55:18.090 [system.io] [info] open:   found mods/WTW/data/loading_screen/loading_bar.tga (from: D:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    23:55:18.104 [system.io] [info] exists:   found mods/WTW/data/descr_offmap_models.txt (from: D:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    23:55:18.104 [system.io] [trace] file open,,158EF6E8,12394
    23:55:18.104 [system.io] [info] open:   found mods/WTW/data/descr_offmap_models.txt (from: D:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War)
    23:55:18.156 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/WTW/data/faction_variations/horde/normal_map_8m
    23:55:18.156 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/WTW/data/faction_variations/horde/winter/normal_map_8m
    23:55:18.156 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/WTW/data/winter/normal_map_8m
    23:55:18.156 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/faction_variations/horde/normal_map_8m
    23:55:18.157 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/faction_variations/horde/winter/normal_map_8m
    23:55:18.157 [system.io] [info] exists: missing data/winter/normal_map_8m
    23:55:18.157 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/WTW/data/normal_map_8m
    23:55:18.157 [system.io] [info] exists: missing mods/WTW/data/normal_map_8m
    23:55:18.886 [system.rpt] [error] Uh oh. This isn't good. No idea why, but exiting now. Sorry pal.

- The Havamal

Northrend. 17 possible new settlements. Together with the previous post this makes 39 settlements(Including Crestfall and Mazthoril that isnt pointed in pictures, im still unsure if Dry Hill fits as a settlement btw). I will add a a couple more to Azeroth.

1) Pal'ea
    -Village
    -Garrisoned by tuskarr

2) Taunka'le Village
    -Motte and bailey
    -Garrisoned by Taunka(Or just Tauren)

1) Maker's Perch
    -Motte and bailey
    -Garrisoned by titan constructs?

2) Maker's Overlook
    -Motte and bailey
    -Garrisoned by titan constructs?

3) Mosswalker Village
    -Village
    -Garrisoned by Gorloc(Murloc)

4) Kartak's Hold
    -Village or motte and bailey(has some primitive fortification)
    -Garrisoned by Wolvar(Wouldnt bother with creating this race, put furbolgs instead)

5) Flamewatch Tower
    -Motte and bailey
    -Garrisoned by revenants?

1) Icemist Village
    -Town
    -Garrisoned by Taunka(Tauren)

2) Moa'ki Harbor: This is close to New Heartglen, could be the starting region of Scarlets i guess? Scarlets would have an army right beside it.
    -Village
    -Garrisoned by Tuskarr

3) Moonrest Gardens
    -Village
    -Garrisoned by ghosts?

1) Halgrind
    -Village
    -Garrisoned by vyrkul

2) Nifflevar
    -Town
    -Garrisoned by vyrkul

1) Thor Modan
    -Wooden castle
    -Garrisoned by iron dwarves

2) Dun Argol: This is a little close to Thor Modan?
    -Motte and bailey
    -Garrisoned by iron dwarves

1) Valkyrion
    -Motte and bailey
    -Garrisoned by vyrkul

2) Brunnhildar Village
    -Village
    -Garrisoned by frost vyrkul

3) Great Tree
    -Village
    -Garrisoned by green dragons and possibly druids

I think thats all. Sorry for double post, above post was looking too long and confusing when I added this.

1) Grosh'gok Compound
    -Motte and bailey
    -Garrisoned by ogres

2) Dreadmaul Rock
    -Castle
    -Garrisoned by ogres *Owned by Dark Horde?

3) Vul'Gosh Ogre Mound
    -Motte and bailey
    -Garrisoned by ogres

4) Jintha'Alor moved a little east

5) Shadra'Alor
    -Motte and bailey
    -Garrisoned by forest trolls

6) Zul'Mashar
    -Village

7) Vandermar: Deathknell in wow, in wc3 its actually shown east of Lordaeron city, wiki says Deathknell is possibly Vandermar and that area was empty
    -Village
    -Owned by Lordaeron

8) Alther's Mill
    -Village
    -Owned by Stormwind? Dark Horde? Rebels?

** Terrordale is one of the first settlements Scourge has captured, its close to Stratholme, southwest of it. It can be added and given to Scourge if its helps their expansion.

Could you please use a different color? I have a red-green color blindness and can't seem to find like 80% of the dots..

WARCRAFT: TOTAL WAR TEAM MEMBER

I think thats all. Sorry for double post, above post was looking too long and confusing when I added this.

1) Grosh'gok Compound
    -Motte and bailey
    -Garrisoned by ogres

2) Dreadmaul Rock
    -Castle
    -Garrisoned by ogres *Owned by Dark Horde?

3) Vul'Gosh Ogre Mound
    -Motte and bailey
    -Garrisoned by ogres

4) Jintha'Alor moved a little east

5) Shadra'Alor
    -Motte and bailey

6) Zul'Mashar
    -Village

7) Vandermar: Deathknell in wow, in wc3 its actually shown east of Lordaeron city, wiki says Deathknell is possibly Vandermar and that area was empty
    -Village
    -Owned by Lordaeron

8) Alther's Mill
    -Village
    -Owned by Stormwind? Dark Horde? Rebels?

** Terrordale is one of the first settlements Scourge has captured, its close to Stratholme, southwest of it. It can be added and given to Scourge if its helps their expansion.

Good news:

I have managed to save the mod in Geomod, then i learnt to replace the new descr_sm_factions-file, the three files in imperial_campaign (not descr_strat) and the music_types-file in world/base - and everything starts. I want people who get the developer's build to playtest it to find out if it's less or more stable than before, as i've also saved a backup of the previous build just to be sure.

- Alot of stuff has been added so that's why it's important to playtest, as we don't want to continue building on an unstable build if that should be the case.

- I've also made Karazhan region impassable because any fight in there and the mod CTD:s - so the region and those beyond it are closed off. I managed to enter RTS battles yesterday in all those other four regions - but never worked since, and a CTD happens when the battle is about to load.

- Fixed issues with ports being placed wrongly on the strat-map, as advised by the debugger.

- Added WarcraftHero's three new Legion-heroes on lore-correct places. Only Varimithras is placed close to the Amani, but i might change it.

- One new region added, a village and it seems to work fine - Scarlet Fleet's Holdout. Basically a region where the Scarlet Fleet supposedly landed, based off the Frozen Coast - which is the new region, the Holdout is the vilage in the region.

- Scarlet Crusade added with lorecorrect heroes. Grand Admiral Barean Westwind (faction leader), Captain General Whely (heir) and two family members (Captain Wellsington and Captain Hartford).

About Tuerukis suggestions it will be possible, but all the regions to close to mountains will cause trouble - it's advisable to place them on flat-land. Plus the Karazhan region is off-limits until somebody makes it work without crashing.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; October 19, 2017 at 12:57 PM.

- The Havamal

Placement is not a big deal. They can be placed to more appropiate points in close proximity.

I cant believe that some people are able to play the latests builds and they dont even show up to forum and grab it :p

Placement is not a big deal. They can be placed to more appropiate points in close proximity.

I cant believe that some people are able to play the latests builds and they dont even show up to forum and grab it :p
    I guess university studies and work might interfere for some.

But, i will send Bantu my current build very soon - then i will replace his rams (Warcraft rams) with HTW placeholders in order to be able to use the new Dwarven Cavalry in the campaign, as i don't want to use cavalry without working textures (otherwise they are fine) and so will need to replace the rams temporary with HTW ones.

Then i'll send that one to WarcraftHero, Sulfurion, THC, Eoghan and possibly King of Stormwind - even though maybe he should finish his music mod first, as otherwise he hasn't really contributed much lol.

Yeah, that's about it for this time at least.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; October 19, 2017 at 11:07 AM.

- The Havamal

Centenarius

Good work Mr_Nygren, i'm very happy to read that you have resolved the Geomod problem And thanks to you, Tureuki, for the new regions suggestions. In these days i will start investigating about spawning a new faction in campaign map (i will take hyrule tw as an example) and wretched textures

EDIT: So you added the Scarlet Crusade in Northrend? In my opinion they should be absent from the start; from what i have read they were created after Lordaeron's fall (or Garithos death?). We could have them as a playable faction in a post-Frozen Throne provincial campaign (along with Forsaken and Blood Elves). If i am successful with the BE spawn script, i could create one for them (they would spawn if the Scourge holds Tyr's Hand). That's my opnion
    Last edited by Warcrafthero; October 19, 2017 at 02:12 PM.
    Temporarily retired from modding.