Thread: Cannons

Default Cannons

Im not sure if this is true or not(Somebody corect me if so), but did the gun crews carry muskets? I made a mod(for my personal use) that gives the crew muskets. Its really helpful when they're about to be attacked and they pull out their muskets although only 15 men dont make that much of a difference
    anyway does anyone out there want it? Should I publish it?

Yoram777's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Cannons

Quote Originally Posted by EmpireFan View Post
    Im not sure if this is true or not(Somebody corect me if so), but did the gun crews carry muskets? I made a mod(for my personal use) that gives the crew muskets. Its really helpful when they're about to be attacked and they pull out their muskets although only 15 men dont make that much of a difference
    anyway does anyone out there want it? Should I publish it?
    When you say they pull them out, does that mean they appear out of nowhere?
    If that is the case, would it be possible to give them pistols like the officers have? then it would make more sense if they "pull them out"

Anyway it sounds pretty interesting , and I've seen pictures of Dutch cannon crews where some of them did have muskets or pistols.

Could you post some pics of what it looks like in-game?

Yes, artillery crews often had muskets. By pull out do you mean they fight with them in hand to hand combat or can they actually fire them?

You click the "melee" button and they drop the cannons and line out with the muskets. In the case of horse artillery the guns are carried as the light dragoons carry them I've only tried it on horse artillery so far...
    There are some issues though....
    When you click melee, the horses and limers leave the battle, rendering the "horse" aspect usless...Its also impossible to change the reloading skill of muskets, as the crews use the same reloading and accuracy skill as they would for cannon. (Somehow range is unaffected, they have standard musket range)
    They can be given pistols if you want?
    So people interseted?
    My Tools, Tutorials and Resources

Was running out of space, so see the full list here!

Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there.- Josh Billings
    The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.- George Orwell

So basically they have two different missile weapons?

Yes, the musket being for when they need to defend themselves

Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there.- Josh Billings
    The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.- George Orwell

Yoram777's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by EmpireFan View Post
    You click the "melee" button and they drop the cannons and line out with the muskets. In the case of horse artillery the guns are carried as the light dragoons carry them I've only tried it on horse artillery so far...
    There are some issues though....
    When you click melee, the horses and limers leave the battle, rendering the "horse" aspect usless...Its also impossible to change the reloading skill of muskets, as the crews use the same reloading and accuracy skill as they would for cannon. (Somehow range is unaffected, they have standard musket range)
    They can be given pistols if you want?
    So people interseted?

I think pistols would make this a really cool mod, it would make the cannon crew look unique when fighting.
    The reloading maybe really slow but when they are getting attacked they would probably only get one shot before they have to use their swords anyway, so that doesn't really matter
    But after they've shot their pistols they still have swords right?

If you release this mod I will definitely give it a try

First of all: I'm going to release it and will keep people updated via this thread.
    Second: This mod is far bigger than it would seem at first. It's going to take a week or 2 to get out(mainly due to lack of resources and other projects). Due to the way I've put it together there will be some issues. Also Im not sure if I can give the units guns and swords but I will try.
    Anyways dont let this thread go stale
    I'll keep you guys updated

Quick update:
    As there is no unit that fires a pistol from horseback (that I know of), all horse-drawn artillery crews will have to use muskets(unless you want them standing on horseback)
    But the good news is all other crews can use pistols

Officers can fire pistols from horseback so just use the officer animations.

EDIT: There might be a way to have both pistols and muskets in the same unit. I need to test it a bit to see if it works.
    Last edited by tiyafeh; June 30, 2009 at 07:39 AM.

You sure? What unit?
    Pistols and muskets might work, although pistols and swords looks better, as the solider fires the pistol tith his left hand while holding the sword in his right.

Historically, gun crews carried both swords and muskets. They would generally be carbines carried by the noncoms and privates.

Thanks for that 43rd. I've discovered pistols are a no-go until we can edit models. This is because every gun crew(except fixed artillery) has atleast man that sits on a horse. If i give them pistols estands on the horse, if i give them dragoon animations they carries an invisible musket and if i give them any other cavalry animation they shoot the pistol but you dont see them shooting it. So im going for swords and muskets

Will release this mod with my Irish units Pack.