Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cemetery

Default Cemetery

Why do we have cemeteries? wouldn't it be wiser to burn all the bodies/skeletons? Its kind of a waste of space. Also, when I die I want to be burned.

What do you guys think?
    Under the wing of Nihil - Under my claws; Farnan, Ummon, & Ecclesiastes.

Human beings will be happier — not when they cure cancer or get to Mars or eliminate racial prejudice or flush Lake Erie — but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again. That’s my utopia.
    Kurt Vonnegut

Many religions believe that leaving the body intact is the only way to have an intact body in the afterlife.
    "The Moving Finger Writes and having writ moves on nor all thy piety nor wit can lure it back to cancel even half a line nor all thy tears wash out a single word" (Omar Khayyam).

I think that probably my greatest achievement was introducing Ozymandias to these boards.

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

However, our main religion of christianity is not one of those really as far as I can tell, yet we have had cemetries for years. maybe it is a break with the ancient cultures (eg the romans) who burned their dead, as a statement? Or maybe it is because people simply did not want to be burned after their death, and would rather have their corpses around (until it decomposed, of course...)

Many who aren't cremated, probably want somewhere for their families to go and know that they are there, if you have ashs spread to the winds there is nowhere for someone to go and say "they are here" but if you are buried then in 50 years time your great grandchildren have something to visit and think of you by. if that made sense.

Patrician

How about if they preserve the urn or bury the ashes? Anyway, my grandmother was cremated and her ashes were used to help plant some trees so I can go there and know she is there (kind of) and helping new life through her death. I would say thats better than sticking a corpse in a box and putting it in the ground. its how i want to have a funeral and be preserved, that or donate my body to medical science...

Many religions believe that leaving the body intact is the only way to have an intact body in the afterlife.
    Damn religions! Always getting in the way of more practical things lol

The problem is; aren't we, eventually, gonna run out of space to bury people?! They are just taking too much space and make places seem sad. Its not even sacred man, some people go there to have sex (or so I hear) and, I mean, in a war, bombs might fell in there, so much for keeping their corpses.

Another thing, money wasted in the funeral! lol

Many who aren't cremated, probably want somewhere for their families to go and know that they are there, if you have ashs spread to the winds there is nowhere for someone to go and say "they are here" but if you are buried then in 50 years time your great grandchildren have something to visit and think of you by. if that made sense.
    Was the point? they are there, man, they aren't there. Theres only meat in there. Thats not them! And in the end, after a few generations, they forget. And even if they don't, they'll only go like for what? two times a year?! what a waste of space.

In the end if they really care about you, they'll remember you in their memory. Which is that which cannot be destroy (atleast till we die!). They don't need to go nowhere to remember you. They bring flowers too, like if dead people care about flowers!...

"I'm with you,
    When ever you tell
    My story

For I am
    All that I have done"

Perhaps have like a memorial with your name on it, like what they do to veterans of wars that have been missing in action.
    Last edited by Jesus The Inane; June 12, 2005 at 04:28 PM.

Human beings will be happier — not when they cure cancer or get to Mars or eliminate racial prejudice or flush Lake Erie — but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again. That’s my utopia.
    Kurt Vonnegut

Some of my relatives who are Catholic have very negative views towards cremation. I think it has to do with tradition more than anything else i'm not sure of the exact history behind it.

On that point we have a in family joke about my uncle. My aunt wanted to be cremated, and she was, so when we had her funeral my uncle said "Where's the body!?". I guess you had to be there but whenever someone gets cremated in our family that always comes up.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Moved to Ethos, Mores, et Monastica.

Cunobelin
    Keep this site happy & report flamming and abusive posts ASAP
    Everytime I learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain -Homer (Simpson)
    Under the Honoured Patronage of the Divus Sulla. Please visit The Living Past Forum
    Patron of the Civitates Ozymandias & Dan_Grr

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus The Inane
    Why do we have cemeteries? wouldn't it be wiser to burn all the bodies/skeletons? Its kind of a waste of space. Also, when I die I want to be burned.

What do you guys think?
    People are superstitious, that's why.
    When I die, I just wanna be buried in a vault with ALL of my money and assets. No one will be gettin' my cash when I die. Greedy people always be wantin' my money!

Gelatinous Cube's Avatar Ducenarius

The body begins decomposing almost immediately, however. Within a hundred years even your bones are beginning to fall apart. Burying you doesn't "leave the body intact", it just puts you under ground to rot--and in a box, so that plants and trees cant even benefit from the nutrients. It's absolutely stupid, and while I understand why ancient civilizations may have thought this a good way to keep one intact for "God", it is archaic and retarded as stands now. Bodies should be burned or otherwise disposed of in a manner that doesn't take up acres and acres and acres of land.
    Cube: I want a sign from god, in special godly ink, proving his existence.
    Poets: What if you have to take it on Faith?
    Cube: Bah, no deal. That's like a crack-head asking for $5 on Credit.

Patrician

How about burying people in fields for criops not for human consumption, ie fallow or grazing fields. Then they fertilize the ground as they decompose (useful) and don't take up space that could be used otherwise!

Petronius's Avatar Biarchus

The Romans didn't exclusively cremate. In one period, they buried, then the next cremated, then the next buried, etc... However the method never dissapeared from use.

Tempus fugit, et nos fugimus in illus. (Time flies and we fly with it.)

-Publius Ovidius Naso

The body begins decomposing almost immediately, however. Within a hundred years even your bones are beginning to fall apart. Burying you doesn't "leave the body intact", it just puts you under ground to rot--and in a box, so that plants and trees cant even benefit from the nutrients. It's absolutely stupid, and while I understand why ancient civilizations may have thought this a good way to keep one intact for "God", it is archaic and retarded as stands now. Bodies should be burned or otherwise disposed of in a manner that doesn't take up acres and acres and acres of land.
    Totally agree with Cube there. Lets stop being so foolishly superstitious!

How about burying people in fields for criops not for human consumption, ie fallow or grazing fields. Then they fertilize the ground as they decompose (useful) and don't take up space that could be used otherwise!
    If that is possible, then that sounds good, But, what about the bones? they all will decompose and be good for the ground?

Kurt Vonnegut

Agh, or just shell out the insane amount of money to be cryogenically frozen. This way you can be (hopefully) brought back to life.

- I'm not a pacifist, I'm a pansy.

Patrician

If it works... I'd rather be burned. An infinitely extended old age? Not for me, thanks.

Spetsnaz's Avatar Miles

I think just like fallingsuperspark said, if you are buried you have a grave and no matter that your bones already decomposed but your family can visit your grave, put flowers and show your children, relatives your grave and tell about you but i dont understand people who want their ash to be spreaded in ocean or space, because only reminder of you would be photos and words,but keeping ash or burying it is good to.
    Pround member of the russian empire and a comrade of TranceCrusader, therussian91, jdblair5, crazyru$$in, Russkisoldat, JvlivsCeasar, Kdar, Valentin the II, KarakurT and Ricgard. For God ,Tsar and Homeland.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Spetsnaz
    I think just like fallingsuperspark said, if you are buried you have a grave and no matter that your bones already decomposed but your family can visit your grave, put flowers and show your children, relatives your grave and tell about you but i dont understand people who want their ash to be spreaded in ocean or space, because only reminder of you would be photos and words,but keeping ash or burying it is good to.
    How about a small plaque somewhere? Or using to lant trees, which will stand as a reminder long after all the relatives have forgotten aobut you, and a gravestone would be unreadable? That is immortality, in a homeric sense.

Ardeur's Avatar Chattering in Chinese

I've never seen the big draw to burial. I mean yeah, you want to get rid of the body. But I think the whole thing has been taken over by grieving families who need to have a place to go, only a year later, they never go there anymore.

Quite frankly, I couldn't care less what is done with my body when I die. Take me down to New Orleans where they do the real big community graves.

LegionnaireX's Avatar Protector Domesticus

The embalming proccess delays decomposion for quite a long time, though.

Patrician

So bury them in fallow/grazing fields as I said before, to give something back to the environment we take so much from.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast