Thread: War Dogs

Default War Dogs

Were they really used? or is just something made up by the Rome Total War creators?

If they did, how could they have teach the dogs to attack etc etc? Imagine being charge by a bunch of dogs! Now thats scary!

I would imagine that if they really were used then they would have been pretty good offensive troops... maybe.
    Under the wing of Nihil - Under my claws; Farnan, Ummon, & Ecclesiastes.

Human beings will be happier — not when they cure cancer or get to Mars or eliminate racial prejudice or flush Lake Erie — but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again. That’s my utopia.
    Kurt Vonnegut

hormiga's Avatar Senator

They were used to a limited degree, it is doubtful that they had full blown units of dogs. They would have probably been used on a small scale for guard duties and foraging.... but not in full combat.

PROFESSORPAUL's Avatar Senator

I heard from a friend who knows a ton about the Roman Era that the Germans and Britons actually did use War Dogs in combat, usually against cavarly. He said thats where they got the term "Dogs of War" from. Germans used snousers . They were pretty large.

Heck, he even knows where, when, and how the Egyptian pyramids were built. The only thing I know is that it was built by a pharoh and was in Egypt.

".........." -Gordon Freeman

Bovril's Avatar Primicerius
    Civitate Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by PROFESSORPAUL
    Heck, he even knows where, when, and how the Egyptian pyramids were built. The only thing I know is that it was built by a pharoh and was in Egypt.
    The term Pharoah came into use well after most of the Pyramids had been built (especially the fourth and fifth dynasty ones, which are what the average guy thinks of when he thinks of the pyramids).

I don't think war dogs have ever been used extensively (though that could be my ignorance), but I do know that early Saxon armies often used them for breaking an enemy shield wall just before they engaged. However, decent dogs were expensive. Hunting dogs and war dogs were usually an elite preserve. I donlt think war dogs were ever used in the way they are in RTW. They were held on a leash by the guys at the front of a normal troop formation, and released just before the main charge.

Dogs were probably used like in modern times, mostly to prevent ambushes or night attacks. There is at least a painting I know of, showing hoplites fighting with a few dogs among them. However I think this would be a case of the dogs following their masters and not of specially trained dogs used for battle.

What I can tell from personal experience with the packs of strayed dogs that used to roam on the streets of Bucharest in the early '90s is that a pack of dogs would attack a single person but only growl and bark at 2 people, without daring to come close. Of course, strayed dogs are not trained dogs but I don't think packs of dogs could be launched against "packs of men", RTW style. Maybe there were situations when the men in the first ranks of the attackers would bring dogs along for the purpose of scarring the defenders. But to have the dogs "cornered" between the battlelines would force the scared animals to "bite their way out", be that trough enemy lines or through their own.

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

Dogs were used by the britons, but not to the extent shown in the game,in fact they were considered as a valuable export by the romans (Though not for war).

As for your friend; is he referring to Shakespeare when he says "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war." ? (incidentally one of the quotes in RTW)
    Shakespeare used this phrase figurativly to denote a fierce and bold attack.

Also check this article about the use of animals in battle: http://aura.sehnerova.cz/stranky/killer_dogs_1.html

Borat's Avatar Tiro

cool, but they could also have been used for telling if they are being watch, tell if someone is approaching and could also hunt for food.

Dromikaites, thanks for the link. It delighted me.

However, this stuff got me thinking. Did elephants ever fought against other elephants during battle?

Imagine wardogs fighting against wardogs... during a battle. Wouldn't that be a sight! Now, imagine the dogs wearing some kind of armour, even a finer spectacle! I wonder if dogs, when in groups, have a leader among them? Just a thought.

Another question, were did dogs originated from? Is it from Britain and Germany? because in the link Dromikaites posted, it said that Romans got dogs from Britain, does this mean they didn't have dogs?

Human beings will be happier — not when they cure cancer or get to Mars or eliminate racial prejudice or flush Lake Erie — but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again. That’s my utopia.
    Kurt Vonnegut

Søren's Avatar ܁

However, this stuff got me thinking. Did elephants ever fought against other elephants during battle?
    Yes , for example, at Raphia.

Another question, were did dogs originated from? Is it from Britain and Germany? because in the link Dromikaites posted, it said that Romans got dogs from Britain, does this mean they didn't have dogs?
    No, it means that the british dogs were sturdier and more vicious.

Dogs were somewhat used against cavalry, but not in RTW style. They were mainly used along with infantry in a mixed formation and not in that big numbers. However, they were pretty effective, as they were biting the horse at his legs (actually the specific point, but because i am not english i don't know the word- sinews i think-> if you have been watching OZ you know what i mean than, the horse would be put down good, most often, for the rest of his life.

Yes , for example, at Raphia.
    Please delight me with more details.. I would imangine that it would be like cavalry fighting another cavalry, except that the elephants would attack the other elephants?

Kurt Vonnegut

Bovril's Avatar Primicerius
    Civitate Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus The Inane
    Dogs were the first ever domesticated animal (in the Early Neolithic I think) and were kept for hunting and shepherding all over Europe well before teh game period began. But breeding and training dogs for war is another matter.

Søren's Avatar ܁

Please delight me with more details.. I would imangine that it would be like cavalry fighting another cavalry, except that the elephants would attack the other elephants?
    The elephants on one side, being bigger quickly routed the enemy.

In a battle with the same size of elephant; it would often go down to the men in the "tower" and the mahout.

If all of these factors were equal the elephants would spear each other (with thei tusks) until one side gained advantage. However this rarely happened.

During the second world war (i know a large leap forward) the Russians trained dogs to run underneath german tanks where the explosives strapped to their bodies would explode and disable the tanks. Although this wasn't very effective as the germans picked them off with machine gun and rifle fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Agrippa
    During the second world war (i know a large leap forward) the Russians trained dogs to run underneath german tanks where the explosives strapped to their bodies would explode and disable the tanks. Although this wasn't very effective as the germans picked them off with machine gun and rifle fire.
    Ewwwwwwwww..........that's mean......and nasty.
    <span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>SnowBall_Champ </span></span><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:green'>Click here to support</span></span>

Dogs saved many lives in 'Nam, by discovering Vietcong ambushes and mines.