Thread: A couple questions

Default A couple questions

Shouldnt Cretan bowmen be recruitable by factions that control Crete? Or are the strictly mercs? I was hoping to recruit them playing as Greece.

The next question is kinda a dumb question, Ive been playing total war games and mods for a long time, and being the infantry lover that I am, I mainly use calvary to chase routers, believe it or not Ive never used my cavalry to charge in all my years of playing. I would like to start doing it, to add a new aspect to my game. Do I click on the enemy unit to do a proper charge, or do I click behind it?

Thanks for the reply's and once again sorry for the dumb question.

Laetus

Default Re: A couple questions

Not sure about the Cretan bowmen... but as to cavalry, it all depends on the situation. When I want to roll up a wavering line that I've flanked with cavalry, I'll often have them charge all the way across, flank to flank (a cavalry enfilade so to speak) by double clicking on the opposite side and then maneuvering them in whatever direction will gain the most kills, usually not ordering specific engagements until the majority of the line is broken and then either smashing into the rear of any units still making a stand or directing individual cavalry units towards the larger formations of routing troops. Be careful, when attacking a heavy line that isn't wavering this tactic can amass huge casualties.

If I've flanked or gotten to the back of a heavy line of phalanx or other troops that I know will require heavy pressure to break, I'll order the charge by double clicking on the unit I want to attack, so the cavalry makes a charge and then immediately engages in melee (preferably after you have given the order and allowed time for you cavalry to concentrate into a cohesive formation before charging, as hitting with a strung out cavalry force won't be nearly as effective). I usually have my cavalry, after maneuvering behind or on the flanks, form up a long enough distance away to allow them to reach full charge speed, give them time to concentrate and only then order the charge.
    Last edited by kurdt; June 27, 2009 at 06:34 PM.