Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Seven Years' Wars

Default The Seven Years' Wars

The Seven Years' War 'The Real First World War'
    The Seven Years' War, often called The Real First World War, mostly because it was fought in all theaters of the world, by many nations. The war started in 1756, and ended in 1763, with many major powers of the world fighting in it, the leaders of one force were the powers of Great Britain, and Prussia, on the other side the leaders were France, and the nation of Russia. The war eventually flowed around the world, on Britain's side, was Great Britain, Prussia, Hannover, Iroquois Confedaracy, Portugal, Brunswick-Wuttenbuttel, and Hesse-Kassel, and on the other side were the nations of, france, Russia, Spain, Saxony, Sweden, Sardinia, and the Holy Roman Empire. When the war finally ended, in 1763, many of France's colonies had been lost to the Anglo-Iroquois Alliance.

Countries of the War
    Great Britain
    Prussia
    Hannover
    Iroquois Confedaracy
    Portugal
    Brunswick-Wuttenbuttel
    Hesse-Kessel
    -------------------------
    France
    Russia
    Spain
    Saxony
    Sweden
    Sardinia
    Holy Roman Empire

I will post more later...

Jingles's Avatar Praefectus

Default Re: The Seven Years' Wars

Fascinating topic... One of the few wars in modern history to shape the world as drastically as it did. Were it not for the Seven years war, there would be no United States, and probably no Napoleon or French Republic. Not to mention an English speaking north America

Sir. Filipe of Ipatinga's Avatar Foederatus

This war is my favorite!

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle_Bombs View Post
    Fascinating topic... One of the few wars in modern history to shape the world as drastically as it did. Were it not for the Seven years war, there would be no United States, and probably no Napoleon or French Republic. Not to mention an English speaking north America
    I am not sure i understand how keeping north america would have prevented the french monarchy of a revolution in the late XVIIIth, of course, no american revolution, no debts as large as historically, but who know what could happen, any war would have do the trick. Add people unhappy because of a bad harvest and speculation and you still have the same explosive cocktail.

As to no english speaking north america, in the same way, how the few tens of thousand of french colonist concentrated mostly in canada and around La nouvelle Orléans would have been able to prevent the millions of british colonist to spread out ? Even with the massive help of indians ? (who wasn't universal anyway, the french had canadian and great lakes indians on their side but the brit had the alliance of the iroquois and the french were at war along the mississipi with the locals to get the control of the river)

France was doomed to loose north america one day or the other without a massive immigration (or an invasion of england, but without a better fleet...) who wasn't coming from france as late as the seven's year war and who wouldn't come from protestant nothern europe who were more happy with the colonial status and freedom in the english colonies.
    They ould have used the pool of irish and catholic scots, but obviously the french crown didn't think about that, french colonists were what they wanted to attract but always failed to do.
    Last edited by Keyser; June 28, 2009 at 03:28 AM.

Jingles's Avatar Praefectus

No, my point is that Because France took such a beating in Europe as well as America, the state of the country afterwards thanks to the poor leadership of Louis XV and XVI in coping with it led to the revolution. Had there not been a war, or had the French triumphed as they had beforehand, they would have been in a much better position domestically at the close of the century.

The American revolution was born out of the taxes exacted by the British to pay for war debts gathered in the 7 years war. No war - no debts - no taxes - no unhappy colonists - no USA.
    Besides, a French North America would have been governed much differently, indeed French Canada was very centralised in comparison to the squabbling semi autonomous 13 colonies.

No, my point is that Because France took such a beating in Europe as well as America, the state of the country afterwards thanks to the poor leadership of Louis XV and XVI in coping with it led to the revolution. Had there not been a war, or had the French triumphed as they had beforehand, they would have been in a much better position domestically at the close of the century.
    Louis XVI arms had triumphed in 1781, that didn't prevent the revolution, the cost of the war against england was probably one of the reasons (but not the only one) for the poor states of the treasury anyway.
    A victory in the seven years war could led to another costly war later, like the AWI.
    Of course, if we are speaking of having Louis XV acting as a Louis XIV and able to capitalize on a victory in the seven years war and lead the country efficiently, that's another thing. But with Louis XV and the state of France, even with a victory in 1763 (hard to pull, put possible, if Russia didn't exit the war for instance, or if the brit failed to take Louisbourg or Quebec and reinforcements could be shiped to delay the fall of new France until a peace could be reached in europe)
    The point is that while France could hope to win in continental europe and bring the british to the negotiation table to keep their colonies, they couldn't hope to defeat Britain proper or win decisevely in America or India without a much better navy.
    The only way to invade and defeat Britain would be a hazardous gamble.

The American revolution was born out of the taxes exacted by the British to pay for war debts gathered in the 7 years war. No war - no debts - no taxes - no unhappy colonists - no USA.
    Besides, a French North America would have been governed much differently, indeed French Canada was very centralised in comparison to the squabbling semi autonomous 13 colonies.
    No USA or no defeat in the seven's years war doesn't mean a French north America either. As i said the french couldn't really hope keep north america in the long run without much more colonists. And they weren't coming.
    Of course, a part of north america could have been french (i mean politically, not ethnically as that's still the case anyway) for a longer time than historically, but i am not sure France could have kept control of it with the demographical push of british north america.

I totally agree with this, as the Americans revolted because of the over done taxes, because of the war, if there was no war, USA, may be in the commonwealth now, or the empire may have even surivived. I believe your prospects with Napoleon as well. Here is a map of the status of the war, the blue is Britain and Prussia and there allies, and the green are France and Russia and there allies, sorry for no spoiler, I don't know how to do it:

Here are some more pictures:

A picture of a battle between Britain and France at Battle of Sainte-Foy.
    Last edited by crepe100; June 29, 2009 at 12:04 PM.

Unless the US majorly wiped France colonial ass and the US would hold the title of North America....

Nissedruva's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by crepe100 View Post
    Here are some more pictures:

A picture of a battle between Britain, and Prussia against Sweden and Saxony, the Battle of Brundenburg Fields, which the brits and germans won.
    Thats the battle of Sainte-Foy between France and Britain.
    - Gentlemen, we just seized an airfield.
    - That was pretty ninja....

Quote Originally Posted by Nissedruva View Post
    Thats the battle of Sainte-Foy between France and Britain.

Well the picture said that, so thank you for telling me.

I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned the Project SYW site yet, so here's a link -

http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?title=Main_Page

It's an absolute goldmine of information, covering everything from detailed Campaign and Battle accounts, to compositions of all the Armies and Navies involved - with details of individual units including uniforms, flags and regimental histories. Very highly recommended.

i agree with most of you in saying that the 7 year war was a extreamily important war that influenced many aspects of todays society. However this war seems to be looked over in favor of later wars.

Lord Claremorris's Avatar Senator
    Racine, Wisconsin, United States of America

Not to mention no Germany, at least not a Prussian Germany. Without the Seven Years War the French Monarchy would not have been so humiliated, the Revolution most likely would not have happened, the British Empire would not have become the most powerful political entity in the World, obviously the American Revolution would not have happened. The Partitions of Poland would not have happened, as Poland would be indirectly ruled by Russia, or Russia would try and annex the lot of it for itself, which would be opposed by Austria, successfully or not.......It's always fun to speculate on what could have been. What is sure is that the Seven Years War was the ruin of the French Monarchy and the beginning of Prussia's very serious challenge to Austria's German hegemony, not to mention the emergence of Russia as a European Great Power, and the launching of Britain into the rule of the waves and the exta-European world.
    "Ghlaoigh tú anuas ar an Toirneach, agus anois bain an Chuaifeach."

Does anyone have ancestors that fought in the war? One of mine served in the Swedish army (Hälsinge infantry regiment) and served in four campaigns (including the battle/skirmish of Güstow in 1758) before being captured by Prussian troops 23/1 1760. He managed to pay for his release in 1763 and walked the 1 200+ km home.

Looking forward to hear about any stories of your ancestors during the conflict.
    Last edited by Nissedruva; July 03, 2009 at 06:12 PM.

Well many of my descendants have fought in the British Army, one of them fought mostly in the Americans, but helped with the Prussians against the Swedes.

Quote Originally Posted by crepe100 View Post
    Well many of my descendants have fought in the British Army, one of them fought mostly in the Americans, but helped with the Prussians against the Swedes.
    BTW where can i read about "the Battle of Brundenburg Fields" you mentioned earlier? I cant find anything on google.

http://www.britishbattles.com/seven-years/minden.htm

I like this site. Plenty of details on 7yw,AWI and Nap. period.

If you can read the old German script an 18th cen account on Prussian battles,Google book format

http://www.archive.org/details/gesch...essi00tempgoog
    Last edited by Jihada; July 04, 2009 at 09:01 PM.

The Noble Lord's Avatar Holy Arab Nation

Frederick the Great almost committed suicide because of his defeats in Seven Years's War.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    أسد العراق Asad al-Iraq
    KOSOVO IS SERBIA!!!
    Under the proud patronage of the magnificent Tzar

Lord Claremorris's Avatar Senator
    Racine, Wisconsin, United States of America

Quote Originally Posted by The Noble Lord View Post
    Frederick the Great almost committed suicide because of his defeats in Seven Years's War.
    Old Fritz was over dramatic. I doubt he ever seriously considered suicide, even if he got the poison and attempted ridiculous feats like trying to hold a hill at Burkersdorf by himself.
    "Ghlaoigh tú anuas ar an Toirneach, agus anois bain an Chuaifeach."

The Noble Lord's Avatar Holy Arab Nation

He was interesting character alright, it's a shame he didn't live longer. Imagine him facing Napoleon Bonaparte on the field. That would've been something.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    أسد العراق Asad al-Iraq
    KOSOVO IS SERBIA!!!
    Under the proud patronage of the magnificent Tzar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast