Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pyramids found in Europe!!

Default Pyramids found in Europe!!

I just caught the end of the news and they were saying something like archaeologists had found pyramids in Europe which are 7,000 years old!!! They also said this will change the way people view Europes history!?! Has anyone else heard of this or have a link, this is literally breaking news.
    Tiocfaidh Ár

Found: Europe's oldest civilisation
    By David Keys, Archaeology Correspondent
    11 June 2005

Archaeologists have discovered Europe's oldest civilisation, a network of dozens of temples, 2,000 years older than Stonehenge and the Pyramids.

More than 150 gigantic monuments have been located beneath the fields and cities of modern-day Germany, Austria and Slovakia. They were built 7,000 years ago, between 4800BC and 4600BC. Their discovery, revealed today by The Independent, will revolutionise the study of prehistoric Europe, where an appetite for monumental architecture was thought to have developed later than in Mesopotamia and Egypt.

In all, more than 150 temples have been identified. Constructed of earth and wood, they had ramparts and palisades that stretched for up to half a mile. They were built by a religious people who lived in communal longhouses up to 50 metres long, grouped around substantial villages. Evidence suggests their economy was based on cattle, sheep, goat and pig farming.

Their civilisation seems to have died out after about 200 years and the recent archaeological discoveries are so new that the temple building culture does not even have a name yet.

Excavations have been taking place over the past few years - and have triggered a re-evaluation of similar, though hitherto mostly undated, complexes identified from aerial photographs throughout central Europe.

Archaeologists are now beginning to suspect that hundreds of these very early monumental religious centres, each up to 150 metres across, were constructed across a 400-mile swath of land in what is now Austria, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, and eastern Germany.

The most complex excavated so far - located inside the city of Dresden - consisted of an apparently sacred internal space surrounded by two palisades, three earthen banks and four ditches.

The monuments seem to be a phenomenon associated exclusively with a period of consolidation and growth that followed the initial establishment of farming cultures in the centre of the continent.

It is possible that the newly revealed early Neolithic monument phenomenon was the consequence of an increase in the size of - and competition between - emerging Neolithic tribal or pan-tribal groups, arguably Europe's earliest mini-states.

After a relatively brief period - perhaps just one or two hundred years - either the need or the socio-political ability to build them disappeared, and monuments of this scale were not built again until the Middle Bronze Age, 3,000 years later. Why this monumental culture collapsed is a mystery.

The archaeological investigation into these vast Stone Age temples over the past three years has also revealed several other mysteries. First, each complex was only used for a few generations - perhaps 100 years maximum. Second, the central sacred area was nearly always the same size, about a third of a hectare. Third, each circular enclosure ditch - irrespective of diameter - involved the removal of the same volume of earth. In other words, the builders reduced the depth and/or width of each ditch in inverse proportion to its diameter, so as to always keep volume (and thus time spent) constant .

Archaeologists are speculating that this may have been in order to allow each earthwork to be dug by a set number of special status workers in a set number of days - perhaps to satisfy the ritual requirements of some sort of religious calendar.

The multiple bank, ditch and palisade systems "protecting" the inner space seem not to have been built for defensive purposes - and were instead probably designed to prevent ordinary tribespeople from seeing the sacred and presumably secret rituals which were performed in the "inner sanctum" .

The investigation so far suggests that each religious complex was ritually decommissioned at the end of its life, with the ditches, each of which had been dug successively, being deliberately filled in.

"Our excavations have revealed the degree of monumental vision and sophistication used by these early farming communities to create Europe's first truly large scale earthwork complexes," said the senior archaeologist, Harald Staeuble of the Saxony state government's heritage department, who has been directing the archaeological investigations. Scientific investigations into the recently excavated material are taking place in Dresden.

The people who built the huge circular temples were the descendants of migrants who arrived many centuries earlier from the Danube plain in what is now northern Serbia and Hungary. The temple-builders were pastoralists, controlling large herds of cattle, sheep and goats as well as pigs. They made tools of stone, bone and wood, and small ceramic statues of humans and animals. They manufactured substantial amounts of geometrically decorated pottery, and they lived in large longhouses in substantial villages.

One village complex and temple at Aythra, near Leipzig, covers an area of 25 hectares. Two hundred longhouses have been found there. The population would have been up to 300 people living in a highly organised settlement of 15 to 20 very large communal buildings.
    Tiocfaidh Ár

Zuwxiv's Avatar Bear Claus

Sounds very interesting!

Here is a site with some European Pyramids:

http://survive2012.com/europe_pyramids.php

Currently worshipping Necrobrit *********** Thought is Quick
    I'm back for the TWCrack

Manningham's Avatar Civitate

wow, that's amazing stuff. where'd this article come from? link?

http://news.independent.co.uk/europe...p?story=645976

Todays Independent.(British newspaper)
    Tiocfaidh Ár

Strange haven't seen this news, possibly I missed it. They were built 7,000 years ago, between 4800BC and 4600BC WOW, now that is what I call history, it goes way way back.

Talking about pyramids in europe....I add something unusual ....many, but many people do not know about the Cestius pyramid in Roma. Yes, Rome also has a pyramid. :original:

This nice pyramid was built by the priest Gaius Cestius in Rome, around 20 BC. Built of concrete and faced with marble, it has an interior tomb vault and is 35 metres high and 30 meters wide. It was built in only 330 days!

They found beautiful artifacts inside of it.Later Emperor Aurelianus (274 - 277 B.C.) incorporated it with his walls and a main gate. (they are acctually one of the best preserved gates of rome.) It was almost completley buried till the 1600's when they start the excavations.

Borat's Avatar Tiro

wow!! did they ever know there was somthing in Europe or did they just said "Hey, lets just go dig in Europe and try to find somthing cool"???

This... This doesn't make any sense.

I... I'm fairly sceptic about this. It just doesn't seem right...
    I'm living up here where the air is thin, and gravity doesn't get you down
    I'm living up here and I'm watching your universe cooling down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jebus
    This... This doesn't make any sense.

I... I'm fairly sceptic about this. It just doesn't seem right...
    I find it funny how most of the people religiously follows what has been thought and written in history books.

I am very skeptical about all kinds of newly found discoveries, but I am the most skeptical about the history that has been taught for centuries.

Ursus's Avatar Civis

Archer, good comment. History has always been written by the Victor and the truth or a perspective of the truth will always be left out.

"The only history that gives a thinkers damn is the history we do today"

I heard that quote somewhere and I think, in a sense, it is truthful.
    Under the wing of Nihil - Under my claws; Farnan, Ummon, & Ecclesiastes.

Human beings will be happier — not when they cure cancer or get to Mars or eliminate racial prejudice or flush Lake Erie — but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again. That’s my utopia.
    Kurt Vonnegut

Hmm, very interesting. I've never heard of pyramids in Europe before; however, one cannot help but think they are merely burial mounds with sharp edges, and burial mounds have have been know to exist since prehistoric ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    I find it funny how most of the people religiously follows what has been thought and written in history books.

I am very skeptical about all kinds of newly found discoveries, but I am the most skeptical about the history that has been taught for centuries.
    I find that a reasonable dose of skepticism is healthy. But I think one should also be prepared to drop most of that skepticism when a large amount of scientific evidence tips the scales to one side or the other. Refusing to do so is no better than believing in blind faith. Remaining open-minded to new ideas is what helps any scientific pursuit flourish.
    Last edited by wall; June 13, 2005 at 10:09 PM.
    ~wall

LegionnaireX's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by S.P.Q.R.
    Talking about pyramids in europe....I add something unusual ....many, but many people do not know about the Cestius pyramid in Roma. Yes, Rome also has a pyramid. :original:

This nice pyramid was built by the priest Gaius Cestius in Rome, around 20 BC. Built of concrete and faced with marble, it has an interior tomb vault and is 35 metres high and 30 meters wide. It was built in only 330 days!

They found beautiful artifacts inside of it.Later Emperor Aurelianus (274 - 277 B.C.) incorporated it with his walls and a main gate. (they are acctually one of the best preserved gates of rome.) It was almost completley buried till the 1600's when they start the excavations.

Those images look doctored.

No, they're real. There are also pyramids in Greece that predate the Egyptian ones by over a century.

http://www.crystalinks.com/pyrgreece.html

http://www.grecoreport.com/pyramids_...ent_greece.htm

http://www.ancientgr.com/Unknown_Hel...g/hellenic.htm

(the first couple of links are rather dubious )
    ~wall

Manningham's Avatar Civitate

Pyramids have been produced by many cultures all over the world, probably because they're some of the simplest free-standing structures to produce. Think about it, if you pick up a handful of sand and let it fall to a point on the ground, it will produce a cone, which is just a cylindrical pyramid. They've been found in Europe, North Africa, China, Central America, and probably other places I'm not thinking of right now (I want to say India?).

It will be interesting to see how this discovery affects generally accepted views of world history, but I don't think anything too conclusive can be stated before we know more about the culture that produced these things.

I got a weird feeling halfway through reading this article the first time, because I suddenly remembered that the Nazi's were making an effort to discover an ancient Aryan civilization to which they could associate themselves. I don't know a whole lot about the topic, so I guess its time to do some reading!

Quote Originally Posted by legionaireX
    Those images look doctored.
    Although I am a graphic designer and I can do amazing photo manipuletions, this is all real...I reather do some researches before say something like that

Look at this 19th century design

and this is Piranesi one of the best designer ever

on the top right of this medieval map of rome you'' see it again

and finally check this old map just under the angel's trumpet

I read an interview with a German archaeologist from Dresden, and he says that these things are known for a decade now. They are quite distressed over the Independent writing this enthusiastically about it. Why? Because no one has even the slightest idea what they are. They don't know about temples and longhouses. They simply have an area surrounded by a ditch - something you can see from an aerial photo. The age of 7000 years is correct, but, since written accounts from the stone age are non existent, they have no idea what they were used for. "Monuments" - there is no evidence apart from the ditch, no evidence that something was actually built on it, apart from one or two small wooden stumps which could be anything.

But it would've been nice ...

Bovril's Avatar Primicerius
    Civitate Patrician

Haha, trust the press to blow things out of all proportion. Maybe that got bored waiting for some one to discover the ten thousandth Atlantis.
    I got lectured on these things in archaeology. They are usually refered to as enclosures, I've never heard them called pyramids before. They certainly seem to be ritual spaces of some sort, but that does not preclude their use as markets or animal enclosures as well. They're certainly confusing though.

LLXerxes's Avatar Semisalis

OMFG OMFG They also had pyramids in South America !!! :o
    Wow you can also find pyramids in like gift shops and stuff OMG OMG OMG!
    Music 1Music 2Pictures 1Pictures 2
    Now Reading: Wiliam Golding - Lord of the Flies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast