Thread: Russian Orthodoxy in Film and Music

sephodwyrm's Avatar Praefectus

Default Russian Orthodoxy in Film and Music

Found some soothing pieces of music.

Rejoice, thee Bride Unwed (Mary)

Psalms 50.

So this Valaam monastery is on some island in Russia. In fact, they made a film about it recently (a few years).

I haven't seen the movie yet. Any TWCer willing to give a review and synopsis (with spoiler warning) will be repped.
    Older guy on TWC.
    Done with National Service. NOT patriotic. MORE realist. Just gimme cash.
    Dishing out cheap shots since 2006.

Default Re: Russian Orthodoxy in Film and Music

From IMDB
    Somewhere in Northern Russia in a small Russian Orthodox monastery lives an unusual man whose bizarre conduct confuses his fellow monks, while others who visit the island believe that the man has the power to heal, exorcise demons and foretell the future.
    score: 8.0/10

Fandango:
    A man who has sought both solace and punishment in faith is confronted by someone whose dilemma is greater than his own in this drama from Russian filmmaker Pavel Lounguine. During World War II, Anatoly (Pyotr Mamaonov) was a sailor in the Soviet Navy, and when his ship was captured by Nazis, Anatoly was given two choices by the German troops -- he could execute the captain of the ship himself and be allowed to live or refuse and be shot alongside him. Anatoly shot his captain, and has been paying penance for his crime from that day forward. After escaping from the Nazis, Anatoly was taken in by the monks at a nearby monastery, and he's been working there ever since, shoveling coal, performing backbreaking physical labor, and living like a hermit. Local reputation has it that Anatoly is a holy man with the power to work miracles and predict the future, but he's not to be approached casually -- Anatoly insists that his patrons turn over all their worldly possessions, no matter how meager, to God's servants before he is willing to intervene. But Anatoly faces a spiritual challenge he's not certain he can handle when an admiral (Yuri Kuznetsov) arrives with his daughter (Viktoria Isakova); he believes she has been possessed by the devil, and that Anatoly is the only one who can save her. Ostrov (aka The Island) received its North American premiere at the 2006 Toronto Film Festival. ~ Mark Deming, All Movie Guide
    I haven't seen the movie myself, doubt I ever will.. No harm intended I'm not even sure if anyone on TWC has seen it
    Last edited by Godfrey I of Leuven; June 26, 2009 at 04:22 PM.

The last one has pasion. its the only one I have seen from the 3. But I think its the best.
    One of the few to still have his first avatar in place here on TWC.
    I sometimes miss this place you know. This is where my journey began.

Ostrov is a brilliant film. Highly recommended viewing!

You have to concentrate though. It's slow going at times, but very good.