Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [AAR] Extracts from the life of Pierre Duciuq

Default [AAR] Extracts from the life of Pierre Duciuq

So as mentioned on previous thread (mods do you want to close or delete?) here is the beginning and introduction to the new AAR that I am composing through the eyes of Pierre Duciuq a young Frenchman that has travelled to the New World. There is going to be more text and story than actual images of the the action and game. Although this may change in time. Thanks to L33t also for saying to run with it in the Mod forum. So below please find the introduction into Pierre's life. The next update and first part of the AAR with game content should be posted by late Sunday night (UK time) unless I get more time tomorrow on this than expected then I may be able to post up tomorrow late on.

Extracts of the life of Pierre Duciuq, French adventurer.
    Introduction

My name is Pierre Duciuq and I have travelled the length of the great ocean Atlantic. I followed the way the swallows have flown and come here now to reside in our Majestic King Louis colony Louisiana in the Americas. I have set myself up with a lodging in the town of New Orleans where I believe I have the best prospects of establishing myself here in this new world.

Back in Old France I had just finished my schooling and my father had asked me what I wanted to do with my life. I was not sure exactly what to answer and had not really taken much care of my dreams of exactly what I wanted to do, except to possibly make my mark on the world. . So my father a local merchant had made the decision for me and I was to be sent to the colonies as it was considered a good opportunity to try and make ones fortune.

Although as I am now finding out it is not as easy as the pamphlets make out in Paris to make your mark in this new home. I am 20 years of age and a man of good health, but I cannot find employment. You would think that there were plenty of jobs for people such as myself but that is not true. The wages are a pittance and the real jobs are few and far between. The money that was bestowed onto me by my farther has all but run out and I do not see my luck changing in finding decent employment. There is about enough funds to pay for my accommodation and food for about a further two weeks. I do not even now have enough for a return journey home and I would not dare turn up and knock on my father’s door so soon with only being able to hold my head in shame. A group of men my age have travelled further in land where it is believed there are jobs in the fields and working with the furs of the land I have considered this but do not think it is appropriate employment for myself.

For I have decided that I am going to join the new Louisiana army that is being raised. Surely this can be nothing but easy money going through the motions with having our Lord Protector France at our side, who would dare to attack this land? I have heard many things regarding the army’s here in the Americas. One of the craziest things I have heard so far is that some people believe that the armies will reform and that it will be possible for common men to lead these armies and that they will declare every man equal with the same chance and opportunity to raise higher and higher if they show that they are worthy. I could never imagine that this would have been possible in Old France maybe this really is a new world Maybe this will be the way for me to make my fortune.

The office looks small and is guarded by two infantrymen flanking either side of the door. My mind is made up at is to be a soldier of this army that I am destined for. Who knows in a few years I may be a sergeant or maybe in my wildest dreams a Lieutenant. Although they seem only to be rumours I believe what I have heard is true and that is what has made my mind up. But I doubt there will be any opportunity for rising without any fighting. We have the protection of France, and their allies Spain and New Spain to either side of us. Things are peaceful at the moment with the different Indian nations about us and that will hopefully last because I have it on good word to fight these savages is like going to hell itself.

I take a couple of steps forward and step up towards the front doors the two infantrymen look at me.
    ‘Is this where I enlist?’ I ask wanting to make sure that I was in the correct place although I was quite sure of that already. As I asked I saw a large man in what look like an expensive and eloquently cut uniform. He looked down at me.

‘Ah you have come to enlist my good man step this way and come talk with me’
    I was unsure exactly who he was but I followed him in presuming from his uniform to be a high-ranking officer. It was not as if he gave me much choice but to follow, as he put his arm round me and gently pushed me forward and through the door and at that point I knew my new life was about to begin.

'One Law, One Land, One Throne!'
    Rudyard Kipling

Default Re: [AAR] Extracts from the life of Pierre Duciuq

Nice read so far chesh! I'm looking forward to the next chapter.

Praepositus

great! and nice choice of nation too! +rep

Buhawi's Avatar Foederatus

Looks interesting, hope to see more from you Chesh!

l33tl4m3r's Avatar A Frakkin' Toaster

Great start! Can't wait to see more!
    [House of Caesars|Under the Patronage of Carl von Döbeln]

Praepositus

I"m also eager to see those in-game pics

Very interesting so far, what is the time frame of this?

good job + rep

Two updates thus morning with the years 1700 and 1701 hope you all enjoy the following. To answer mithit the above was from the end of 1699.

Sergeants, Drill, Marching, Rations, Practice, Uniformity, Orders, Generals, War, my early life in the Louisiana Army.

It is four months since I joined the army of Louisiana and as I much thought my life has changed a great deal. I now follow the orders, of my Sergeant who follows the order of his Lieutenant, who follows orders from his General. I had joined the 1st New Orleans Militia and have trained now solidly since I was taken in by the man who looked as if he was a man of rank. What I didn’t know at the time was that he was General Theodore Mirabeau, leader of the Lower Louisiana Army. He is the overall leader of the armies of Louisiana. I could not believe my luck that I had already met the man in charge. The one thing at times that kept me going while the onslaught of training was breaking us down had been the stories of Sergeantg Babin. Sergeant Babin has been in the colonies for 15 years and has served under General Mirabeau for all that time. Babin likes to tell tales of his travels and experiences when plotting maps for Mirabeua. He tells tales of the town in Upper Louisiana of Fort de Chartes, and that although they are stronger garrisoned we are better looking here in New Orleans because we have the sun and the sea. From talking to Sergeant Babin, I have found out that the main reason for the French interest and keeping of the colonies now is for money, the value in trade is so great that it out pays the upkeep for a good profit. He talks vividly of the tobacco plantation at Pine Buff or the new sugar plantation being built at Lafauette. It interests me greatly of these different crops, with my father being a merchant I listen contently wondering really if there is a part of him in me. Babin also warns thou that we should not expect an easy life in this army because due to this trade it is believed that as with the French colonies in the north of the Americas we will also look to expand and conquer and the old sergeant jokes that maybe we will even take on the Spanish, or the British but to expect the fact that we will fight against the Native Indians because they won’t give up there land easily. So maybe I was wrong, I thought of contentment and ease, of a life of going through the motions with army life. Never had I thought of expansion, never had I thought that the government would want to go forth and make Louisiana stand out even stronger on the map.

‘Erm, Duicuq come quick boy, you can write can you not?’ It was General Mirabeau, he had seemed to taken an interest and remembered me all through my training, and liked to remind me that it was he who had recruited me although it was myself that had chosen.
    ‘Yes, General I can write.’ I quickly snapped to attention, as he came closer responding instantly to his question.
    ‘Good, I knew you would be a good recruit, come with me your skills are needed.’ He snapped round the other way and I followed him down the corridor and into what was a lavish room in part of the barracks that I had never seen before. There were 4 four men in the room, who I later found out to be different ministers of Louisiana. There was Marin Sommer; Head of Government, Valentin Sieyes; Minister of the Treasury, Raymond Bertholet; Minister for the Army and Brice Cholmondeley; Minister for the Navy. I also later found out that Louisiana didn’t actually have a navy at this point although that was soon to change. I sat in and was advised that I was not to tell anyone of the discussion in this meeting and I was to write down everything that I heard and who by.

The one phrase that came out that meeting was ‘TO WAR’ and old Sergeant Babin was right. Expansion was the key aim now of the colonies. It had been decided that being surrounded by three different Indian nations that it would be best to try and engulf one of these within Louisiana. The talks had been vast the Cherokee had been talked about being the largest of these but also they were talked as being friends of France so friends of Louisiana. So it was decided that the Pueblo and the Texas Nation will be the target. It was agreed that New Orleans would create two new militia while Fort de Chartes one more for this war. And next year we would take on the Pueblo. As I sat there I seemed to almost become excited by the prospect of going to war and taking on these savages to extend the lands of Louisiana. A navy also was to be formed and in the long run it would be needed for transporting troops in the future for greater expansion. Construction was due to start also as soon as funds could be made available. This intrigued me as to who our future wars would be with if we needed to go by sea and where we would be sent to.
    Rudyard Kipling

Praepositus

EXCELLENT, absolutely BRAVO!! I'm really looking forward to how the story unfolds for Duciuq... his first battles, maybe trips by sea, who knows. Keep writing, my friend!!!

Marching, Auitamique and the Dispatch Rider, we are going to War!

The barracks were a buzz of activity for the next couple of months as everything was being prepared ready for our imminent departure. Still no announcement had been made as to where we were going and I still had to be quiet as to what I had witnessed at the meeting. I watched and helped and worked, preparing, packing and cleaning weaponry. Then it came and we were collected together for an announcement to be made by Sergeant Babin. We were all collected on the parade ground where he used his bellowing voice to tell us all about the coming campaign.

‘As you are all well aware we have now been preparing ourselves to go to war. The location where we are going has been kept secret from you. I am now in a position to tell you where we are to march. The Cherokee nations, so called friends of France have declared war against Louisiana and has torn up it’s treaty of trade and peace. We are marching to defeat and put down this attack against our great colony and also to teach these Indians, and show there brothers that we are not to be toiled with. We are marching to Auitamque where we will meet with our fellow soldiers from Ford de Chartes to strike back at these wild savages the Cherokees.’

I was shocked stunned this is not what I was expecting to be told, obviously things had changed. How dare they declare war on us? I knew one thing I had heard stories of fighting against these savages and I knew it would be as tough no matter what they were called but it had a whole different meaning now as I would not stand for these hostilities against Louisiana. For this reason now I knew my decision to join the army had been right.

We left New Orleans and made our way to Auitamique. As part of the 1st New Orleans Militia we have been joined by two units of local Indians the Tangipohoa, we have even given one of these a set of guns! The Tangipohoa so I have been told, are originally from Louisiana and have agreed to join and fight with us as they see us as only being a good influence on the land and can see how we are bringing the land forward with commerce and trade. If only all Indians were as forward thinking as the Tangipohoa. Once we arrived in Auitamique we were joined also by the Upper Louisiana army which consisted of 1st Fort de Chartes Horse, 1st/2nd Fort de Chartes Militia and 1st/2nd Louisiana Militia, with General Mirabeau leading the whole army. We were together now and were marching onto Chicisa the largest and closest of the large Cherokee settlements.

We camped outside Auitamique and were ordered to leave this very small village alone, it was only a group of about four or five families and I believe we were trying to show that the Louisiana people were merciful, especially considering we were going to hopefully rule over these people in a small time. When camped I watched as a dispatch rider came racing into camp. I wondered what news there was. I was to find out later that night when the stories were flying through camp that the first battle of this war had already taken place. A small Cherokee War band had attacked Fort de Chartes and had been destroyed with the remaining few Indians running back from where they had came from. I was lucky enough later to sit round the camp fire with the dispatch rider later that night and hear his tale.

‘We set ourselves up outside the town to not allow the savages a chance to get about the buildings. There was only the 3rd Militia as part of the official army but the people of Fort de Chartes are loyal and we managed to raise two more units of men to fight alongside us. We had just enough spare guns to go round and every man was equipped. We were led by the Governor of the town, Pierre de Boisbrand. We set our selves up with the Militia in the middle and the Auxiliaries either side to extend the line. We stood and we watched and we waited for the Cherokee to come and they came. We stood strong ready to fight for Louisiana and for the King of France as these savages came to attack us. Our line was strong as they charged and we shot them down as they ran onto our bullets. We fired and fired every man firing at will and making his bullets count. We fought hand to hand as they did not give up no matter how many we had shot these savages were going to fight us until they had no fight left in them. But we were to strong for them thou, and we shook there strength from them as we saw the white in there eyes as we fought, and the remaining few ran from the field and we cheered with great voice as we knew we had defended and won the battle of Fort de Chartes. We still lost about 60 men that day and there was still some families that were sad but in all it was a great victory and it showed these savages that Louisiana was strong when her army was off fighting we could still defend ourselves well.’
    Rudyard Kipling

Praepositus

Wow, that came pretty quick. But anyway, once again... excellent... well written... well executed! Looking forward to even more man! You can tell a great story without pics!

Thanks am.az. Thar's it for now, the frist two years are complete the next update will be later in the week.
    Rudyard Kipling

nice job

Great work. I look forward to then next chapter!

jeje i am now doing a louisiana grand campaign

Realy nice Chesh. Looking forward to Pierre's first battle now.

Quote Originally Posted by The Donz View Post
    Realy nice Chesh. Looking forward to Pierre's first battle now.
    It's coming I don't think it will be long before he get's to fire his musket in anger!

Also can someone tell me how to put the name of the AAR to my sig with a link to the thread?
    Last edited by Chesh; June 30, 2009 at 02:40 AM.
    Rudyard Kipling

Praepositus

wait... you're having trouble making it link to the thread or putting the name on the sig??

I want the text in the sig to read as the name of the AAR, as a link to this thread.
    Rudyard Kipling

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast