View Poll Results: How do you feel about hunting?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Barbaric and disgusting

14 12.61%
  • Disgusting and barbaric

9 8.11%
  • acceptable

88 79.28%
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting: Barbaric and Disgusting?

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Default Hunting: Barbaric and Disgusting?

Most of you have probably seen this story before. It is things like this that make me wonder if the US really deserves its status as a First World Country.

Anyone with any sense of human decency and morality must surely feel physically sick when reading this. Here is an extract, reworked slightly but all the details are true:

Ra "10 year-old Fern Spaulding-River from Talkeetna, Alaska has already ended the lives of several Alaska's major mammal species. Fern was bear hunting on the Alaskan Peninsula with her father and mother on May 10th. In her hand, this small innocent looking girl carried a huge sniper rifle. As the day progressed she and her father saw 11 bears. At one point, they were stupid enough to get charged by a wolf. Later, they spotted a big brown in a gully. Fern asked Larry to hold her legs steady while she shot because her knees were shaking from bloodlust. Fern missed the head and hit the bear in the spine, causing the majestic animal to spasm in excruciating pain, but the helpless victim regained it's footing and tore off desperately across the tundra. Shooting again from a prone position, Fern murdered the animal with a second, also badly placed, shot. The United States Fish and Wildlife Service measured the bear's hide at 11'4" from nose to tail. What does Fern think of bear hunting? "It's kinda scary, but its dying roar was imrpessive! They are about the size of a Volkswagen bus and when they swing their head to look your way they remind you of a T-Rex in Jurassic Park!""

Fern is disgusting example of the human race, and her parents are savages to teach a young girl to kill majestic animals such as bears for sheer pleasure. Young children should not be allowed a gun at all, and noone should be allowed to end the life of an animal, unless for food or in extreme circumstances, and then only in a painless and humaniatian manner. It is my view that people who would cripple a helpless animal going about its business by shooting it in the spine are worthless barbarians. This is the kind of thing that happened 300 years ago, we have progressed far enough by now to know that we should respect nature, and only use what we need to survive.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Copperknickers II; June 25, 2009 at 05:45 PM.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Default Re: Hunting: Barbaric or Disgusting?

Sometimes, needed.

Moose population of Finland.

And I don't really have that much emotions towards animals TBH. I do like canines though.

Last Roman's Avatar ron :wub:in swanson

well, it can be "barbaric", or it can be clean sport. So I wont be voting on this poll.
    house of Rububula, under the patronage of Nihil, patron of Hotspur, David Deas, Freddie, Askthepizzaguy and Ketchfoop
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    -Mark Twain

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Sometimes it's retarded, at other times it's a clean sport, and in some cases it's necessary.

That poll is clearly unbiased BTW, almost as objective as Wua'hi'walu's.

Citizen

The poll is extra, it is the issues i am concerned with.

In what way is hunting 'clean'? I make the distinction here between hunting and culling, culling is not for pleasure ( i hope ).
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

I think that if you created a less biased poll (and i am more for the barbaric definition) this would be a good thread. But you didnt.

DimondLight's Avatar Senator

I see nothing wrong with hunting as long as you eat the meat, and not do it just to kill.
    Proud American

What's wrong with hunting?

Citizen

Did anyone read the first post?

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Ya, I wonder since when you are such a pacifist.

magickyleo101's Avatar Here Come The Judge

How I feel about killing any animal depends where the pleasure is coming from for the person. If they're getting the pleasure out of killing the animal - in other words, if they're killing the animal for the sake of killing the animal - then they're probably a sociopath.

On the other hand, if they're doing it for food and the animal's death is a means to that end, I see a far smaller need for concern. The same thing if they're doing it as part of their job.
    Under the Patronage of the Honorable PowerWizard.

I hunt only if I intend to eat the thing I've shot. I find it more morally justifiable than eating something from the supermarket, actually.

As for the OP, the Bear population isn't threatened as far as I know. Yes, they are majestic creatures but they are dangerous when living around human settlements so some culling is unfortunately neccessary.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Bongfu's Avatar Senator

I choose

"A necessary survival tool that is still prevalent today."

Any idea what the white tail deer population would be like in North America if no body hunted them? We would have to put plows on the front of our cars because they would be EVERYWHERE
    Lorehammer - Team Lead
    A Radious Total War: Warhammer Sub-mod

Nazgūl Killer's Avatar ✡At Your Service✡

I highly dislike hunting, yes, but the poll is completely biased and this seems like just another rant or trolling thread, please, just open a thread that states an OPINION, instead of saying "Does it suck, or does it suck?"

Anyways, I hate hunting, it makes me feel disgust.
    WARNING: MATERIAL NOT SUITED FOR ALL PEOPLE, FAINT HEARTED CLEAR OFF, YOU ARE WARNED, EXTREMELY GOREY PICTURE:
    http://media.photobucket.com/image/B...lameCanada.jpg

(I will not post the picture, it might be against the ToS, PLEASE, do not go to that link if you are faint hearted! Trust me!)
    Nazgul Killer's M2TW Guide
    Personal Help & Advice forum
    My view on the "Friend Zone"
    Good things come to those who wait... But better things come to those who never hesitate.

Aetius's Avatar Vae victis

Hunting for the lulz is wasteful.

Killing bears is never needed, because predator populations correct themselves very quickly due to lack of food. I could understand killing a bear if it was stealing your food or sniffing around your house at night.

Hunt herbavores, and then try to eat much of the meat as you can or give it away. At the very least take the best bits and let scavengers take the rest but be like the Indians and kill when you must only.
    Blut und Boden

No its not gross. Natural.

For someone who's actually cut animals from their meat.

CtrlAltDe1337's Avatar Praepositus

This has to be the stupidest thread I have seen in a few weeks

Overhunting is a problem, yes, but there is nothing wrong with hunting.

I can't really vote either way because I eat meat, at least if you shoot it yourself you know what you shot had a good free range life it wasn't confined to a cage or whatever. Shooting something just for fun I'm not sure if I approve of that.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Nazgūl Killer View Post
    I highly dislike hunting, yes, but the poll is completely biased and this seems like just another rant or trolling thread,
    Noone seems to disagree with me, in this thread anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers View Post
    Noone seems to disagree with me, in this thread anyway.
    I do. So what is wrong with Hunting?
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast