Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reinstalled, Flashing Screen during menu's, gameplay

Default Reinstalled, Flashing Screen during menu's, gameplay

Hey guys...perhaps, and hopefully someone can help me out here....

I think I recall people asking about this before...

I haven't played RTW in a few months...but I've been having the urge to play again lately, especially since we have confirmation of BI now...I wanna get back into the game, especially modding, multiplayer...

This is my problem: After reinstalling the game onto my computer, now I get a constant "flashing" on the screen during ALL of RTW's play...the intro, the menu's, in game etc...

anyone have any idea what the problem is here?

well...guess I won't be playing again after all...

what a shame...

thanks for the help...

and you admins wonder why people don't like posting in the basement....

I could go stand in my own basement and ask this question and get the same level of response...

Pent uP Rage's Avatar Tech *********

Im no admin/mod but, Patience, grasshopper, patience.
    Personally, I've answered so many questions pertaining to graphics problems, I barely look at these threads anymore. It should be a simple matter of hitting the "search" tab by now. But hey, at least you posted in the right section.
    Anyway, to your dilemma...I'll try to help as best as I can.

What card do you have? and what drivers are you using? Have you tried to overclock it at all? What do you mean by "flashing"? Is the screen actually going blank and coming back? Or are there lines on the screen?

under the patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, son of the Black Prince
    Before you post, see if your question has already been answered
    here

1) thank you very much for the reply

2) I did search...on every single forum, can't find anything which pertains to this (which shocks me)

3) I just uninstalled the game at the beginning of May...everything worked fine before that...

4) The screen is not going blank, just portions of it...like if you were watching a DVD with a damaged "eye" on the player. Lines of black, usually pretty thick, just flicker all over the screen...

5) Nvidia Geforce 5700mx 256mb with cinefx2.0

6) most updated drivers...again, always worked fine with this game, and nothing else on my computer (or any other game/application) is experiencing the problem...

7) i uninstalled...while waiting for someone who can help figure this out (maybe you) I'm going to try to reinstall...who knows...maybe it was just a fluke...

8) i really want to play again...I'll do whatever I need to do

Civis

Well I know of some cases that people just simply goto options and turn off Antialiasing to get rid of the flickering, but it also sounds like your video card may have been overheating.

I tried turning off anti-antialiasing when the problem first occurred....didn't work...

as for my video card overheating...I dunno...I tried firing up a couple other games with pretty high demands (world of warcraft, half life 2) and there were no problems whatsoever...same as always...

this is really starting to frustrate me now...

beginning reinstall as soon as I click send on this post...

any input at this point is a god send

edit: has this problem (not a "similar") but this problem ever been reported before? I could have sworn that I saw something about this a few months back...

Civis

Reinstall may fix the problem but if not, you can do a clean uninstall/reinstall of your drivers. If all else fails and your really determined to play, reinstall windows.(Whenever I have a problem with a game, I do this and somehow it works)

Sorry I couldn't be of much help.

yeah I tried reinstalling...same effin thing...

could you possibly direct me to where I would want to download the update drivers for my video card (geforce5700)??

that might in fact do it...

(although I know they're already updated)

edit: nevermind..went to nvidia.com and have the april 14 2005 drivers being downloaded as I write this...almost halfway there already...

this is baffeling...I never had any problems with this game before, and still have no problems with any others...I'm just not getting it

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by BrutalDictatorship
    yeah I tried reinstalling...same effin thing...

could you possibly direct me to where I would want to download the update drivers for my video card (geforce5700)??

that might in fact do it...

(although I know they're already updated)
    Well first download Driver Cleaner and use it to get rid of your current driver
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

Then heres a link to the updated drivers for nvidia
    http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

ahh...already just downloaded and installed them before I read your post...but guess what? Now it works!!!

This will tear at me for days as to why the drivers that worked fine in the game previously, needed to be updated to drivers that didn't even exist the last time I played the game...

Either way...thank you both (rage and halfdone) for your support and efforts ...most appreciated

perhaps this thread will help someone else out in the future...although I'm not sure the "fix" we came up with is one that would apply to all these situations with flickering...

this really is a good one ...hmmmm

now I'm downloading the patch for 1.2 and hopefully this doesn't bring in a new problem (doubt it will)...

next I will try tackeling modding the game for the first time after I reacquaint myself with the battles and such...which for me, is a whole 'nother ballgame lol...

Pent uP Rage's Avatar Tech *********

Seeing as how you're running a relatively "old" card, the most up to date drivers might actually NOT be better.

Try running one of the 56.xx-66.xx versions and see what happens. I have an idea about your problem, but we'll see if this works first. Try 'em all if you have to. Make sure you uninstall the drivers first before you install a different one.(for all of them if you try them all)

Link to Driver Archive

under the patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, son of the Black Prince
    Before you post, see if your question has already been answered
    here

Quote Originally Posted by Pent uP Rage
    Seeing as how you're running a relatively "old" card, the most up to date drivers might actually NOT be better.

Try running one of the 56.xx-66.xx versions and see what happens. I have an idea about your problem, but we'll see if this works first. Try 'em all if you have to. Make sure you uninstall the drivers first before you install a different one.(for all of them if you try them all)

Link to Driver Archive

I just bought the card like 5 months ago...to be exact it's an Nvidia Geforce FX5700 256mb with Cinefx2.0

Civis

Glad to see your game is working.

Quote Originally Posted by halfdone
    Glad to see your game is working.

yeah thanks again man

downloaded and installed the patch and everything is still working fine...

maybe this was CA's way of teaching me to never uninstall one of their games..lol

I don't even remembered why I did anyway...I was never "done" with rome: total war (or even medieval total war) was just taking a break...usually this doesn't lead to me uninstalling *shrug*

who knows...glad it's working again...i want to spend the summer getting back in the swing of things with single player/multiplayer and some cool mods so I'm at my best for the release of BI (which I cannot wait for...)

now back to the general forums for discussion about what should/shouldn't be in the expansion

thanks again ...makes my evening

in case you guys didn't notice, I'm very novice when dealing with computers. Now keep in mind, when I say that, I don't mean I don't know how to use a computer...no that I'm fine at...(great with most business applications, can type 70 wpm with 90% accuracy, etc etc)..im not "stone aged" but I am nowhere's NEAR the level of understanding when dealing with the "tech" side of computers, as most of you here...

I have downloaded the instructions for overclocking and read them...however, I want some input before I actually do anything (although the instructions seem simple enough to follow)

1) how worth it is this proceedure compared to risk

2) where will I really notice the difference when dealing with an RTS like this, or AOE3 or Civ4...more units?

3) anything else that you feel would be helpful to me based on what I've said here...

thanks

p.s. I figured it was appropriate to ask this here being that you had mentioned it as a possible solution to my original problem here...

Civis

Personally I never risked it, from what I've read it can ruin your video card from a number of ways. But if your going to try it I suppose you'll need a good fan for your video card to start with.

ok thanks...yeah I'm going to do lots of 'homework' on the issue before I actually attempt it, as in the event that I do cause a problem I would have virtually zero understanding in hopes of correcting it.

Bruticus the Steadfast's Avatar Civitate

Isent there a RTW help forum?
    Under the patronage of the Black Prince

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast