Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: A "thing to do list" prior to 1.0 version

Hister's Avatar Domesticus

Default A "thing to do list" prior to 1.0 version

I'm the one who is working alone on PI I version for those who don't know - here and then I get external helpers who try to improve certain aspects of the game. I'm currently applying work done for PI II (building description, building models, etc.) to PI I but it takes quite a long time 'cos game design is very different and I have to make a lot of new descriptions on my own.
    Since the release of PI I 0.72 version I took over the project 'cos Luciano B couldn't work on it any more and I saw it as a complete waist not to devote my time to continue working on it until it reaches 1.0 state when external people can take over and add all the candies I'm not able to. It might seem as a waist of time as SigniferOne once said but I regard it as a classic that still has followers who play it. My free time is novadays very scarce since my thesis is taking over brutally - since I am not able to release 1.0 version on my own I decided to post a "to do list" together with all the WIP files to the ones who are willing to finish the project aka release it in 1.0 state. If you see something from the list that you would like to do contact me and I'll send you 0.95 version via PM.

A to do list for internal RTW BI PI I 0.95 so that it reaches 1.0 version that is gonna be ripe for public release:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

- Win conditions maps. - Done by merlinuscdxx.

- Buildings that need to be added or renamed:
    - Add Hippodrome (Greeks) and Circus (Romani) building. Only Romans can upgrade to Circus Maximus in Rome (use hidden resource).
    - Rename Greek market to Agora and Roman one to Forum. Add description for Forum Romanum (only in Rome).
    - Greco-Etruscan health building called Palaestra.
    - Etrusco-Roman health building called Cloaca.
    - Greek health building called Asklepeia (hospital) and Great Asklepeia only in Croton as an upgrade.
    - Academic building tiers need to be renamed to something more appropriate.
    - Etruscan and Hellenic Painters' Workshop (from the start), Roman and Oscan Painters' Workshop (fires during the game if possible – otherwise from the beginning).
    - 1st tier Hellenic Bronze Sculptor's Workshop; Roman and Etruscan Terracota Sculptor's Workshop. 2nd tier Hellenic Marble Sculptor's Workshop; Roman and Etruscan Bronze Sculptor's Workshop.
    - Greek theatre called Theatron. Also add description for Etruscan theatre. Next tier for Greeks is Odeon (description is missing) and final Conservatorium.
    - Athletic buildings: 1st tier Greek/ Etruscan Stadion; Roman Campus. 2nd tier Greek/ Etruscan Gymnasion; Roman Campus Martius (only in Rome). Gives “recruits_exp_bonusŤ (upgrades XP of units recruited there by 1 each). Give also this bonus to hardy mountaneous tribes like Samnites in their barracks due to their natural phisical provess.
    - professional_military and professional_navy descriptions from PI II shall be put in the academies. Highest tier barracks for this reason need to have also academy as a requirement.

- Add remaining building descriptions from PI II and adjust them.

- Add finalized unit descriptions.

- Give Veneti, Liguri and Umbri their own distinctive barracks description. - Done.

- Add Fanum Vultamnae building in EDB, add _constructed pic for it, make it as already existent on map from the beginning.

- Give Poeni, Italioate and Syracusae 3 tiers of mercenary camps that need higher tier barracks as a prerequisite – the goal is to simulate training of those mercenaries via the barracks as is stated in the barracks descriptions.

- In EDB file equestrian buildings (used for regional subjugation) need to be given to factions so that when for example Romans conquer a province where regional subjugation building was already built by Samnites Romans are not able to recruit any units from that building since it’s not them who established subjugation in the first place. - Done by ACS - have to find time to implement it myself.

Example of how to change EDB to meet above requirements of culture related recruitment for Romans:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    building roman_equestrian
    {
    levels roman_stables roman_cavalry_barracks roman_hippodrome roman_circus_maximus
    {
    roman_stables requires factions { roman, }
    {
    capability
    {

; AoR CAMPANIA
    recruit "Hoplites Campani" 1 requires factions { roman, slave, } and hidden_resource Campani
    ... etc.
    ; AoR GALLI
    recruit "Spatharii Senones" 0 requires factions { roman, slave, } and hidden_resource Senones
    ..etc.

1. This means, you need to distribute/multiply all these building strings per faction in edb.
    2. Then have all these building entries as well in the text folder export_buildings.txt, rename them as above per culture.
    3. The same must be done in the building ui folder per culture folder, if those have not these culture names anyway.

That should work. If there is an issue due to the use of vanilla buildings (their names are all from vanilla), then you can also still rename these buildings completely - you could copy and paste the existing building entries in the text folder export_buildings.txt, because if the vanilla building entries remain, makes no trouble (if they have no connection to the edb file anymore), the game will always relate to the edb building entries - means it must always correspond: names in edb, in export_buildings.txt and the names building ui folder tga's.

4. Higher tier barracks have a prerequisite for equestrian buildings – when fiddling with them make sure that I also change (maybe delete?) prerequisitories otherwise I’ll get a bug (CTD).

- Add proper building pics from Mylae and PI II (in progress).

- Fix _constructed pic for all unique buildings to show up properly (currently show up as blank white. No hint why this happens as of now.

- Fix UI pics of some temples that show up as vanilla. Being done by Benz282

- Port over from PI II Oscan, Hellenic, Roman and Celtic settlement models if possible – am not sure since those models don't have all the levels required in PI I but I suppose we can use the PI II highest tier settlement model for the remaining levels in PI I. In PI II Oscan culture has only 3 tiers of settlements for example – I suppose we can use the same model for the PI I's remaining two tiers but just name them differently so that no CTD appears.
    To do this task copy residences folder from PI II and adjust descr_cultures.txt to fit.

-Add new Ligurian diplomat from PI II (property of Invasio Barbarorum 2 team)

-Add new Gallic diplomat from PI II (property of Arthurian Total War)

- Add the remaining 3D models (unique buildings) on the map when they are finalized in PI II.

- Make different tier settlement and building levels on the map.

- Add gloss files for units that florin80 made. Currently in custom files.
    Add them in Rome - Total War\PI\data\PI\models_unit\textures
    Basically in the same folder where the textures are located.

-Use remaining faction descriptions from M2TW PI when done.

- Give Sabini a heir in any of the central towns to avoid the faction being eliminated when they loose their capital. Check other factions for this issue and do the same. Done by Benz282.

- Balance the campaign map so that no faction has too much money from the start - Veneti are one such example.

-With the current EDU version from Romeu all factions need to be checked if they are not in red dinarii numbers from the start due to higher upkeep.

- Make barracks for every faction so that when you conquer a neighburing province that has barracks built you can't get anything from them. (Optional since it is a lot of work!) - Being done by Nullified.

- Delete some unused cas files:
    In models_unit there are cas files for units that don't seem to exist - like the Hastati/Principes/Triarii Hernici and many others.

- Fix the EDU by giving this line to units that don't have secondary weapon. (Probably not necessary since current setup is probably not causing any problems.)
    stat_sec no, no, no, 0, 0, none, none, none, none, no ,no

- Greek psiloi toxotai, psiloi akontistai , psiloi sphendonetai and the lakedaimonian/spartan ekdromoi are mapped wrong. I.e. they do have a texture for an asymetric look needed because of the fact that they`re using the exomis tunic, but unfortunately the model is mapped with only the front part on both sides. Resulting on pectorals on its back. Someone would need to remap the model to use the whole tunic and body from the texture, not just the front part.
    This is a picture taken from the back:
    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/STUDEN%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image001.jpg[/IMG]

- Syracusyan hippies have a problem with the arm when wielding a spear.

- All factions are missing pentecontere and liburna large unit cards. I need a 2D artis to draw them for me.

- Make installer for mod as a final step.

And that is probably it for the 1.0 version but other things will probably pop in such as traits and ancillaries that will have to be ported over from PI II when they will be done.

Edit: Progress updated 7.8.2009.
    Last edited by Hister; August 07, 2009 at 11:02 AM.
    PROUD MEMBER OF PAENINSULA ITALICA TEAM

For M2TW PI forum click here.
    For RTW PI forum click here.

Default Re: A "thing to do list" prior to 1.0 version

i would be happy to help with my favorite mod!

i could try, but bear in mind i have never modded! i tried to learn something to help signifier with PI2 but then classes started and i left it at that unfortunately..

if you think there is anything i can help with, tell me either here or on pm

also, i could look at some tutorials and then do other stuff too, just not sure which ones would i need, so if you need anything, you can direct me to what i need to do and a tutorial for it

after all, now i dont have classes anymore
    Last edited by Mediteran; June 25, 2009 at 11:55 AM.

Yeeey - first helper to respond!

For "RTW BI PI I" I need persons who can do the following things:

- Proper "Win conditions" need to be done. (scripter guy?)
    - Some minor problems with the unit models need to be fixed. (3D unit models guy)
    - Equites Primores Cenomani have the small unit card in the unit info screen. (2D guy)
    - still haven't solved the ghost units bug when some units that share the same model appear as ghosts (no textures) when they all appear together on the battlemap. (text guy - I have the knowhow that I can send to whoever will work on it)
    Edit: Ghost units bug is fixed now!
    - some building icons and pics (2D guy) --> will be used for PI II to!
    - unit descriptions for remaining factions (text maker guy) --> will be used for PI II to!

Other things I have to do by myself for now.

I think Mediteran that the most suitable job for you would be the one in blue. I can send you the knowhow but bare in mind that it's not an easy task but then again knowhow will help you from step to step. Let me know if you are interested.
    Last edited by Hister; June 27, 2009 at 10:54 AM.

sure, send me and i'll see what i can do. i can't promise i'll manage to solve it but, i can certainly try

It's a deal!

I'll send you the info tomorrow 'cos I need to make it easier to understand for you first

no problem, and thanks!

- some substantial EDB updating and fixing.

Lemme know what you want and I'll take a stab at it. Can look at implementing win conditions too, but lack the historical background to say what they should be. With some help on that score, and a lot of study of the excelllent win conditions mod for EB, I think I can get us something that will nudge the AI along historical paths without forcing it into a rut. Can't promise a terribly rapid turnaround, but I'm not writing a thesis, so I should have a bit more time to mod

Oh yeah, and I can seed the DL torrent again, Comcast has relented :/

Pode - excellent, brilliant! Lemme quote SigniferOne to give you directions of how win conditions should look like:

If you're a Roman you would have to outlive Samnites and Etruscans, for instance, while holding Rome, [some major Etruscan towns] and [some major Samnite towns].

If you're Etruscan you would have to outlive Romans, Umbrians, and Gauls (at least the tribe which is closest), while holding [some major Etruscan towns], and [some major Gallic towns].

Etc, think of it in broad strokes, and you can fine-tune it once the general outline is in place.
    You think you can handle it?

Mediteran - I haven't got the time to compile a shortened version of the knowhow - are you okey if I send you the whole thing? It's actually conversations between me and dvk from the beginning to end - I think you'll grasp it by reading it all Heck I'll send you the text so ask me when you get lost...

sure thing

I should be able to gin that up in the next week or two. What I'd like to do beyond just a "you win if" list is use the AI's tendency to go after win condition cities before others to do two things: a) influence it to act in a semi-historical manner, and b) influence it to prefer to take cities of it's own culture. AI city management leaves a lot to be desired, and I'm not convinced it can deal with the culture unrest effectively enough. Adjusting the win conditions to have those effects will take me longer.

Well that is certainly going to be a great feature - holding my fist for you! One thing that would needed to be done is to make a map that would replace vanilla one in the wining conditions window. Do we need a 2D guy here perhaps?

Thanx to Mediteran (when he asked me something on the ghost units matter) I realized what I was doing wrong and fixed the bug myself

Adopted generals do not have a Religion/"Culture" trait, meaning any city they attempt to govern will rebel and the whole bug related to this. (must be fixed by external helper - probably by HOH)

I'm working on this, in true this is ready only need testing.
    Last edited by Romeu; June 27, 2009 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Romeu View Post
    Adopted generals do not have a Religion/"Culture" trait, meaning any city they attempt to govern will rebel and the whole bug related to this. (must be fixed by external helper - probably by HOH)

I'm working on this, in true this is ready only need testing.
    Very good - hope you fix it! It's really nice to have a team working along! Thank you guys.

Hister, I need approval for some changes with respect to religion traits, this is my idea:

-all generals adopted have 100% chance of receiving tha traits of your faction leader,
    -all generals married have 100% chance of receiving tha traits of your faction leader,
    -all generals coming on age have 100% chance of receiving tha traits of your faction leader,
    -all agents have 60% chance of receiving tha traits of your faction leader, plus 20% each of the two other, to simulate agents that may be of another culture.

I have approval to do this?

Erm, can you please explain why? I'm a bit puzzled to see any relevance of this in regards to real life? I'll probably say yes when you'll explain, he he

On another note - PI II is about to get traits and ancillaries done soon. I'll need someone to port over them from PI II to PI I - anyone? I don't know how hard this would be - really no clue since I don't know how differently this system works on both game engines.

Quote Originally Posted by Hister View Post
    Erm, can you please explain why? I'm a bit puzzled to see any relevance of this in regards to real life? I'll probably say yes when you'll explain, he he
    Has no involvement, I just wanted to provide a bit of realism, did not allow the generals could be from another culture because it was very rare case in antiquity, ja agents as spies and assassins are hired was common among the public enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Hister View Post
    another note - PI II is about to get traits and ancillaries done soon. I'll need someone to port over them from PI II to PI I - anyone? I don't know how hard this would be - really no clue since I don't know how differently this system works on both game engines.
    I need to know how work the PI 2 sytem to implement this, of couse i can help in this.

Ah I get it now - sure go ahead!

I need to know how work the PI 2 system to implement this, of couse i can help in this.
    Super - will let you know!

The fix is done, i only deleted the faction specifique triggers for culture traits, this is useless, and fixed the other triggers.

All generals and agents have 100% chance of having the same trait of you faction leader.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast