Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to add new models different for each faction (for the campaign map)

=NF= Vasileios_the2nd's Avatar Semisalis

Default How to add new models different for each faction (for the campaign map)

First of all. I know there have been some nice similar tutorials around for ages, they learned me many things. I just had some requests of pple who couldn't understand them, that is why I am posting this. In order to help them understand how to put new models in better (hopefully). I, in no way, want to insult the others' tutorials on this subject.

I describe the standar procedure of adding a captain model in and give it to only one faction, so that the other factions can still have their own ones. You can roughly follow the same path to put in other models for the other factions as well.
    I assume that you are using the mod folder method.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Also, there are some models I have made for the "One Hundred Years War" (Leader: On a mountain. You can find it here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=205709).
    You are free to use them if you want to. You can find them here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=2504

Ok, so here is the procedure you have to follow each time you want to add a new model in. Let's suppose you want to put a new captain model in. You will need 3 files.
    These are:
    a) captain.cas --> the actual model of your faction
    b) captain.tga --> the texture of the model for this faction
    c) slave_captain --> the texture that the model will receive when turns into/belongs to rebels.

Procedure:
    1. Create a "models_strat" folder in your mod's data folder.

2. Create a "textures" folder in your data/models_strat folder.

3.Put the captain.cas file into the data/models_strat folder of your mod.

4. Put the captain.tga and slave_captain.tga files into the data/models_strat/textures folder of your mod.

5. Now it's about time to make the game understand what changes we have made, what model we want it to use
    Let's suppose the faction you want to give the captain to is byzantium. Open data/descr_character.txt. Scroll down to the "type general" line. Search for this:

Code:
    faction            byzantium
    dictionary           2
    strat_model        southern_captain
    battle_model    Northern_Captain
    battle_equip    gladius, chainmail shirt helmet and rectangular shield
    Change it to this:
    Code:
    faction            byzantium
    dictionary            2
    strat_model        pagan_captain                (<-- here you change the original model name to the one you want to put in. Can be whatever you want it to be)
    battle_model    Northern_Captain
    battle_equip    gladius, chainmail shirt helmet and rectangular shield
    6. Open the data/descr_model_strat.txt file. Scroll down to the captain area. Now be careful with this and the next step! Delete the line:
    Code:
    texture                byzantium, models_strat/textures/late_northern_captain_byzantium_strat.tga
    7. Then go to a place, e.g. right before the Admiral title, and place these new lines in:
    Code:
    type                pagan_captain                (<-- this must be the same name with the entry you changed in descr_character.txt)
    skeleton            strat_named_with_army
    scale                0.7
    indiv_range            40
    texture                byzantium, models_strat/textures/captain.tga                  (<-- change this line too, to the appropriate name your texture has)
    texture                slave, models_strat/textures/slave_captain.tga        (<-- change this line too, to the appropriate name your rebels texture has)
    model_flexi_m            models_strat/captain.CAS, max                                 (<-- change this line too, to the appropriate name your model has)
    shadow_model_flexi        models_strat/shadow_sword.CAS, max
    Now it should work. If you still have problems, ask me.
    Good luck with your mod efforts!

ps> This is what you have to do when you want to give a model only to one faction. If you want to give the same model to another faction, then you have to make an appropriate new texture file for that faction, and then do 3 moves: Change the name of the captain in descr_characters.txt for the new faction. Add only another texture line in the descr_model_strat.txt for the new faction. Then delete the old texture entry in this file this faction had originally.
    Last edited by =NF= Vasileios_the2nd; September 21, 2009 at 07:43 AM.
    "Greeks dont mod like modders, modders mod like greeks." -PorkyJack
    10 new captain models (campaign map) to download

Default Re: How to add new models different for each faction (for the campaign map)

thanks man

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to add new models different for each faction (for the campaign map)

step 7:
    texture pagan, models_strat/textures/captain.tga
    should have been byzantium

My mistake, you are right sire.

Blog Entries

One is glad to be of service

First of all, sorry for my English, if it's bad...
    I tried to solve my problem for 2 weeks, reading many topics, many tutorials but I couldn't I'm sure it's been answered before, and also there are 2 examples made with Venice and Byzantium factions! But... Could anyone please, post here a (step by step) mini tutorial about;
    1) adding a king strat model in and give it to HRE faction,
    2) adding a heir strat model in and give it to HRE faction,
    3) adding a family member/general strat model in and give it to HRE faction,
    4) adding a captain strat model in and give it to HRE faction,

* Is it possible to add those 4 different strat models to the Vanilla Game using BareKingdoms or Retrofit mod? If yes, how in details please? please? please? (I'm an expert in campaign games, but a rookie@modding)

PS: I dreamed to add a new king strat model (the Teuton Grandmaster appearance from Teutonic Campaign) / a new heir strat model (the Spain King appearance from Americas Campaign) / a new general&family member strat model (the Spain Conquistadore Cortes'appereance from Americas Campaign) / and a new captain strat model of this HRE Captain in the link (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=2504)

Bonus Question: If it is possible; how can I replace or overwrite the unit cards, skins etc. of the Teutonic Campaign's Ritterbruder unit to my existing Standard MTW2 (Vanilla) Ritterbruder unit? (which .tga, .cas files to where etc?) The Teutonic Campaign's look awesome than the standard one!!!

I have Vanilla + 1.1 patch + 1.2 patch + 1.3 patch (also unpacked) / Kingdoms with 1.5 patch (4 Campaigns all unpacked already)... I use BareKingdoms Mod, but if you say Retrofit Mod is better than it, I have Retrofit mod installer in my drive already... All posts wellcomed, and I'll very very appreciated... Please help me!!! Many many thanks thamks thanks!!!

Hey i dont know if im posting this in the right section but to me it seams apropritate but any how here we go,now you show how to do it for the start map but is theyr a toturial how to do this but for the battle map?(ive looked with the search nothing came up i wont be offended if some 1 pointsm e in the right direction if it has allready ben answered but like isayed icouled not find it.)

so ive allready got the 3d model and the textures...ive aded the posibility to recruit the units for my faction because those units exist allready in game just not for my faction but the problem is that when i recruit them ( a generals unit) it genertes the default faction GENERAL but the soldiers in the unit are the correct ones .. just not the general himself...is theyr a way to assing a faction a certain General 3d model and textures? instead of jsut overritign the curent LOD file and Textures because i do not want to replace the General of the whoel empire i just want MY faction to be affected thank u.

Guys, my apologies, but I don't think I can give answers since I'm away from my home pc for months and I will be for a few more. Once I find some time here (currently serving my military obligations), I will try to give you the best answers.

Cheers and good luck!

TW fan's Avatar Libertus

I have tryed to make a welsh captain

type wales_captain
    skeleton strat_named_with_army
    scale 0.7
    indiv_range 40
    texture wales, models_strat/textures/wales_captain.tga
    texture slave, models_strat/textures/wales_slave_captain.tga
    model_flexi_m models_strat/wales_captain.CAS, max
    shadow_model_flexi models_strat/shadow_sword.CAS, max

but the game dosent load the Britannia campaign and crashes help me plz

Blog Entries

model_flexi_m models_strat/wales_captain.CAS, max

Does this model exist?

Quote Originally Posted by TW fan View Post
    but the game dosent load the Britannia campaign and crashes help me plz
    Read this recent thread bro. I think that's the problem in your case.

TW fan's Avatar Libertus

I checked all the files paths they are correct

TW fan's Avatar Libertus

Ishan this is the only text that i have in my cas file ÍÌL@&

Quote Originally Posted by TW fan View Post
    Ishan this is the only text that i have in my cas file ÍÌL@&
    No open it with note pad and at the bottom there be a file name and it's path.
    U have to make sure that file exists in the textures of models_strat folder other wise while loading that .cas file the game will crash.

TW fan's Avatar Libertus

I have corrected the file path in the cas file but the game still crashes

Then it seems you are doing something wrong in descr_character.txt file.

Blog Entries

I think this is being worked on from the wrong angle:

- you cannot change the path in the CAS file.
    - you didn't answer my question: Does this model exist - models_strat/wales_captain.CAS?
    - if the model exists, how did you get it (original, renamed)?
    - does this texture exist: models_strat/textures/wales_captain.tga?
    Last edited by Gigantus; July 12, 2010 at 08:39 AM.

TW fan's Avatar Libertus

Yes they all exist and yes i renamed them all

TW fan's Avatar Libertus

and the path in the original wales captain cas file is -texture\late_northern_captain_england_strat.tga i dont know why the path is for the english captain and anyway i already have modet the english captain i really dont have a clue whats wrong i did everything like in the tutorial
    Last edited by TW fan; July 12, 2010 at 09:49 AM.

I have corrected the file path in the cas file but the game still crashes
    @TW fan
    Damn whats wrong with me I said
    No open it with note pad and at the bottom there be a file name and it's path.
    U have to make sure that file exists in the textures of models_strat folder other wise while loading that .cas file the game will crash.
    And you changed the file path in the .cas file. You screwed up the .cas file.

Ok whatever is the filename inside the cas file just make sure it exists inside the textures folder.
    and the path in the original wales captain cas file is -texture\late_northern_captain_england_strat.tga
    Don't bother about the file name just paste the file in it's right location.
    Last edited by Ishan; July 12, 2010 at 11:55 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast