Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: VARIAGMOD: UNITS for RTW - new skins & models

Default Re: VARIAGMOD: UNITS for RTW - new skins & models

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal Smith View Post
    Sorry but I totally disagree.
    M2TW uses 1024x1024 but gets multiple units out of that texture maybe up to 6. With some planning and thought 512x512 is more than enough, you just need to be efficient with the space you have, not using large areas of the skin for very small parts of the model. You have to think how much is going to be seen in game. Are we making units for the game or just renders and movie_cam screen shots. 2048x2048 is 16 times bigger than 512x512 are you even going to see the detail?
    First, M2TW offers you 2 textures per unit not one with 1024x1024. When CA puts 6 bodies on a texture normally only the bodies and heads are on that texture and the second texture is filled up with equipment. There is nothing at all that limits the artist when using those two texture files. You can put as many or as few units as you want on it. And yes you are going to see that detail, everyone zooms in and you can clearly see the difference in clarity when zoomed in. You don't just need movie cam to see it.

I think that they are already as good as anyone's Ive seen, in fact this thread depresses me, I thought I was getting good until I saw this

Anything that you can fit on to a 512x512 texture can fit onto a 256x256 the only difference is that you will lose some quality. From what I have read I think that NEO is suggesting that you cant really see much difference in game. Either way its obvious that he/she knows what they are doing and they have already explained why they have chosen 256, and after all it is their decision to make.

I'm just grateful that they have released the skins, I'm looking forward to the Greeks
    Clarity is a huge issue though is it not? I think that comparison between these skins and what ferres produces speaks volumes for making the switch to 512 in RTW.

Ok maybe I didnt make my point clearly.

Firstly my comment on M2TW, the point that I was trying to make was that 512x512 is actually quite alot in comparison as its just one unit (my knowledge of M2 is limited however so I may be wrong). The skins for my carthaginians are all 512x512, I thought that was enough, that was my choice, NEO has made his/her choice.

Secondly the comment on detail was refering to 2048x2048 skin which although I have not tried it I find hard to believe that its going to be 16 times better than the 512x512 skin on the ferres model for example.

Well the first problem with 2048 is there is no way RTW will load that sucker. But with 1024 and 2048 textures you are going to see a SIGNIFICANT improvement. You can't compare what you see in M2 to RTW and say "see they have higher res but don't look much better." Because as you said CA actually only made the textures around 512x512 and just put a bunch of them on a 1024x1024 texture. But once you bump up the texture itself to 1024 or 2048 you see a HUGE improvement. Just as you would see a huge improvement if these textures were originally created for 512. Now if these wonderful textures are just scaled up from 256 to 512 then you aren't gonna see an improvement. For there to be an improve the original texture has to be 512 or higher then scaled down to 512.

got an idea - why dont you guys start a new thread = its a nice debate but WAY off topic they arent doing them in 512 so just leave it at that. Your gonna piss these guys off, attacking this point of debate in their unit thread which should be about their units, which isnt even the concern any more - and everone is still waiting for their Greeks, right? How about we leave them be and be grateful for them being so generous , before they say screw it and dont ever end up posting them. Who cares what they are skinned in - if you have 3dsmax you can re-skin them in 512. And really their skins are really quality for the size they are.

Thanks guys for sharing your units and we all cant wait to see your Greeks - go ahead and spit those boys out and bless the community with more of your great work!

Who ever said Romans - come on - Ferres and Lusted have done enough romans to keep us all happy forever.

Mr.Gorby's Avatar Semisalis

Wow go! So the debate is really interesting and good.
    Solo Variag:
    Yes, certainly it is not enough, but time began to do small structures I think to continue costs all the same in this format that all identical have turned out.
    And to tell the truth very qualitative structures look well only at creation preview in 3D max or on closer examination in fight, but it is necessary to the chamber to drive off hardly hardly start to work lodes and everything, there is no beauty
    And about loadings on the computer 512 on 512 on my supervision fights very strongly brake, consider after all at removal of the chamber model for the account lodes reduces loading by the computer, and the structure 512-512 as was 300 with superfluous kilobyte of such weight it and remains, delete do not delete the chamber.
    Now we will increase these superfluous almost 300 kilogrammes by quantity of units in fight for example 5000-10000, here those and brakes.

Here is a new unit, which made Variag. This is, perhaps will be changed. Neo wants to change the helmet, also Corinthian design, but different texture. And this unit easy Greek Swordsman, which will cover the phalanges. This AoR unit, so it is possible to employ in different regions of Greece. Depending on the region, he will be wearing a coat or with a naked torso. Do Spartans, afinyan and others, he will have a special kind. Thus the authors argue.
    We repeat, it is a working sketch.
    Two cliсks..
    Last edited by Mr.Gorby; July 13, 2009 at 05:42 AM.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Very nice!

Awesome new unit.

Are there any plans for skirmishers, archers and cavalry (like in the Thracian pack)?

Quote Originally Posted by Solo1906 View Post
    Who ever said Romans - come on - Ferres and Lusted have done enough romans to keep us all happy forever.
    Do not forget about Prometheus either, please But you are right: we have more than enough Roman units. And few Barbarian and particularly Eastern factions.

Back on topic, I absolutely agree (again) with you: These units are superb and I couldn't care less wether they are 256x256 or 1024x1024. In Spanish we say something like: "Do not look at the teeth of a gifted horse"

I just wish there were more artists freely distributing their units like these great Russian guys. And Mr. Hannibal Smith.

I agree with Aqd. Nowday PCs can handle RTW at very high texture quality, like in M2TW or ETW. So why don't upgrade the units with good textures?

Ah yes we have alot of Romans but reworking them in 1024x1024 or 2048x2048 would benefits alot.

You know... if these guys get upset by all the texture size hustle and decide to not release the greeks... I`ll ...I don`t know what I`ll do...

These are excellent units. I am totally amazed by the quality. So don't be put off by all the negative comments. I’m just glad you decided to share and so should everybody else.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Quote Originally Posted by bladerunner900 View Post
    These are excellent units. I am totally amazed by the quality. So don't be put off by all the negative comments. I’m just glad you decided to share and so should everybody else.
    It's not negative at all to suggest they could get better results by simply using textures of higher resolutions...

It's always better to have more details!
    Last edited by AqD; July 14, 2009 at 02:34 AM.

pacco's Avatar -master-of-none-

Agreed!

Skinner and modeller for Roma Surrectum
    Under the patronage of Tone
    my shield collection

Quote Originally Posted by aqd View Post
    It's not negative at all to suggest they could get better results by simply using textures of higher resolutions...

It's always better to have more details!
    I don't think any one comment was negative as such - everyone said how much they loved the units. But the overall debate - simply because it went on and on and on - started to sound a little negative. Yes, the higher resolutions would be better. I'm not expert, but based on everything you guys have already said in great depth, I'm taking that as a fact. But Variag/Neo have already explained (several times over) their decision to go with 256 and that appears to be final (at least for now). As a result, why keep picking over the same ground in a thread that is meant to be showboating these already fantastic new units?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Mr Gorby has already said we're free to use the work in future mods, so long as credit is given. In which case I'm assuming that you, aqd, or some of the other excellent skinners on this forum, can reskin the models yet further if it is still a problem and if the inclination takes you.

Personally I think the units are pretty amazing as is. So rather than wishing for something that isn't gonna happen, why don't we do something far more constructive like stomping up and down and heckling our Russian pals to release the Greeks (and the Macedonians and anything else they have up their sleeves) as soon as possible?

Also, shouldn't this thread be stickied or something? I think these guys have earned that honour based on their Thracians alone.

i agree, there's a good source of units and MUST be stickied...
    Click on my sig and check out my modelling works! Your opinion is welcome!

Fireward77's Avatar Civis

Yea this thread needs to be stickied!!!

If I may say so, this thread completely needs to be stickied!
    If any will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. -Jesus

Mr.Gorby's Avatar Semisalis

Version Cretan archer.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: