Thread: Pikeman. . .

Icon1 Pikeman. . .

Does anyone else think pikeman are completely useless. They can't move in phalanx mode and when horses charge directly into phalanx mode, it has no effect on the horses whatsoever. When you send pikeman to attack militia, they win but with 50% casualties and they cannot beat line infantry at all. If anyone wants to make a mod to improve the stats of pikeman, be my guest.

Default Re: Pikeman. . .

I tend to put them in a spear wall formation directly behind my cannons. It seems to keep the kav away untill I get cannister shot, and it always leaves room for my gunners to escape if they are charged and can't seem to get their guns off in time (or for some other reason the enemy reaches them).

Other than that, they're useless... but I think that's the point.

Pikemen were just from last-century, they have lost use and therefor are just useless send them on suicide runs or just throw em away imo

TeutonicKnight's Avatar Miles

Cannon guards are the best use for them until you can build full stacks. Then disband them, or park them in a harbor as a cheap garrison force.
    "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl."

~Frederick the Great

Aside from guarding cannons (which is a tactic that seems to attract a melee rush), I place them behind a light infantry unit who is skirmishing. This tactic is very useful as it plays on the strengths of both units. When enemy line get in range, the light infantry with longer range will engage them. If the enemy decides to advance on the light infantry, the LI will retreat behind the spike wall. If the enemy engage the pikemen in melee, they waste their expensive units fighting against my very cheap unit. All the while I have the light infantry on autofire and they fire through the crowd (hopefully ) contributing to enemy casualties an general disorder. If this duo makes up the flank, I can also send the retreated light infantry around the pike flank to fire into the side or rear of the committed enemy unit(s). This is a very effective way to cheaply murder enemy line.

This tactic works very well if your LI unit is a native american unit that can hide anywhere (ai thinks it's a lone pike unit), or if you can hide both units in the brush so the enemy squad is also taken by surprise (increasing the deterioration of enemy morale). Pikemen can be used to plug an enemy rush, and since they're so cheap, you can feel free to leave your gunners firing away.

Pikemen are great garrision units too. They hold the line for a long time allowing you to sent some troops around to fire into the backs of enemies.

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

they make great ceremonial troops.. much like the swiss guards at the vatican now, or the bearskinned coldstream guards outside the queens house in london (they dont exactly wear crimson and bearskin in the field anymore!)...

by the 18th century they were pretty much past it, and very few nations persisted with them for long after 1700, thats why you cant recruit them after you upgrade your buildings.

i keep them in my stacks until i've researched the bayonet - they do severely deal to cavalry when they're in square or spearwall formation. they're also pretty handy at dealing with mobs and militias, and great in narrow streets where they pretty much deny the enemy cavalry the ability to flank at all.

i've also found they're great for 'thickening' up militia and line infantry formations... if you put them in spear wall, right up against a militia unit so their spears protrude out the front... they make a pretty solid wall of pike and shot thats difficult to break

after i have bayonets they retire to my capital as a ceremonial garrison unit... kind of like real life.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM