Thread: Seriously Confused Here!

Default Seriously Confused Here!

Sorry if I sound overly pissed off while I write this, it's not anything personal, I just wasted like two hours trying to figure this out, and I REALLY. NEED. HELP.

I have found RTR for my version of RTW, I have downloaded it, I have installed it...And it doesn't work!

First, the Installation: The game said it wanted to be put in the Activision folder, which I believe the ReadMe said is supposed to happen. However, a window popped up saying, "this does not exist, would you like to create it?" UH-OH, "does not exist"? That can't be good...Uh, yes?

So I'm not sure if that's what screwed it up or not.

Then after the installation, it offers the option for whether to do or not do the file that's supposed to delete the other .rwm files. Sure, I'll check it off, I mean, I'm supposed to, right? I think. Well, yeah, according to the ReadMe you should check the box, unless you wanna do it the hard way. But, after checking the box, I realize the "next" button is faded out! Wait...What the ****, how come I can't click next? So I just click Exit, I mean, that's all I can do, right?

So, after finding out the locations of the .rwm files I need to get rid of by looking in the ReadMe, I go to delete them. I find one, but in the \imperial_campaign folder I can't find any .rwm file, so I don't know what to do: Well, uh, OK then, I'll just have to access the game and see what happens.

So apparently, to make my head spin even more, there's a few RTR Platinum icons. I click on one of the two shortcuts on the Desktop that I think would start it up, RTR Platinum. Another window pops up, saying that, apparently, stupid windows can't "find the program" to open the thing. Wait, you need a particular file to open a game? I think. Well, yeah, that's what it looks like. So I look at the recommended programs. For some reason they're Gimp, Paint, and Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. Yeah, THOSE sound like great programs to open a GAME with! So what can I do? I open it with Gimp. What pops up? The shortcut's symbol. Wth? Well, uh........damn.

So, as a last resort, I do a search of the ENTIRE SYSTEM, top to bottom. I find three that look like shortcuts or whatchamacallits that could open the game...They all come up with that little symbol. Paint and Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, of course, don't work as well. I THINK RTR Platinum BI might be what i want to get rid of the .rwm files, but I'm not sure, and I can't open it.

I look in the Activision folder, and, wait, what the-!? There's two folders - Data and Docs, and that annoying little Shortcut symbol thingy, and somethingcalled campaign_map_reset.bat, which I can only open up a window for for like a half-second before it goes away. The whole folder looks like the Windows Picture Viewer again.

In the ReadMe it also says, in step 2, "Download the RTR Platinum full installer and install it to your fresh RTW directory"...Is THIS where I went wrong? Was I supposed to do something here that I didn't!? I don't even understand what that sentence even means! You're supposed to install the installer??? And install it to the RTW Directory??? What the heck does it mean by "Directory" anyway???

Seriously, I don't even know where to BEGIN asking questions about this! Just help, please, sorry I sound kinda like a jerk, but REALLY, try doing something that should be really simple and easy and having to do it for like an hour to two hours, not counting writing on this forum. And yes, IT SERIOUSLY TOOK THAT LONG trying to figure the damn thing out.

My God, please help me, I don't where to begin, I don't know what's wrong, I just don't want all this wasted time to be in vain! Just help me get it running! This isn't easy for someone who has a short patience and temper!
    Last edited by UnfortunateHam; June 23, 2009 at 08:55 PM.

Default Re: Seriously Confused Here!

Firstly welcome to the forums.

Secondly, can you post a little information about the system you are running.

If I remember correctly, when you are asked where to install RTR, you need to point it to the directory where RTW resides.
    On My machine this is inside Activision, RTW but it may be that you have Creative Assembly, RTW

Also, I understand that there were issues with the Vista O/S and you should check out that help thread too.
    Semi-Retired RTR Developer and Researcher
    Dont get into a fight if there is nothing to win

Glancing at your long post(congratulations for trying to explain your problem btw) I suspect all your issues are based on one fact: your game is of a new version(maybe RTW GOLD?) and most likely installs in a The Creative Assembly folder. The default path of the RTRPE installer starts with an Activision folder because that`s what it was valid for the first versions of RTW. That`s why it asked to create it. And that`s why the batch file that was supposed to delete the map.rwm files wasn`t finding them. And of course, the desktop shortcuts point to the Activision path and since the game is not actually there they can`t find the executable and you get that message.
    Bottom line, install the mod again, but make sure it goes in the location where you have the game. If you have it in the default location ( C:\Program Files ) it might be a simple matter of replacing Activision with The Creative Assembly in the installer`s path.
    Last edited by florin80; June 24, 2009 at 10:25 PM. Reason: confusing typo

Thanks. I'll do that right now, since I've calmed down a bit.

Okay, I've done it...And it finally works! Thanks! Turns out I just had it in the wrong directory after all!

Also, by the by, now that I look at what I wrote before, I realize that, without meaning to, I did a pretty darn good impression of the Angry Video Game Nerd,

Guys, plz help! I have been reading these forums constantly trying to figure out how to make rtrpe mod switch work and the closest I have gotten is 'failed to open sound database' thing. I am dying to get this going.

I have rtw gold and have checked the version for both rtw and bi and they say they are what they need to be1.5 and 1.6. Im using windows xp.

Another thing, when the rtrpe intaller starts up it says something like my version or rtw bi is not correct or something, but i just click ok and it installs.

Before it downloads I click run and goes to a temp folder. When it installs I send it to C:\program files\ creative assembly and put it in the copy of rtw that i made. All the icons appear, this is where it goes downhill.

Any help would be much appreciated.

PS I am brand new to pc games and most of the pc gaming lingo goes directly over my head.

Thanks,

Another thing, when the rtrpe intaller starts up it says something like my version or rtw bi is not correct or something, but i just click ok and it installs.
    I`ve never tried the mod switch version of rtrpe, but I seem to remember reading that Maced0n`s installer checks for the version of your game before it installs and sometimes it gives these false negatives because of a technical difference regarding the executables of something like this. It`s probably your case and you shouldn`t worry about it.

Before it downloads I click run and goes to a temp folder.
    What do you mean?

All the icons appear, this is where it goes downhill.
    Can you be more specific on this part? For example now, after you latest attempt, how does it manifest?
    Do you start the game with the new RTRPE desktop shortcuts that the installer creates?

Alright, right before I start the rtrpe download, I chose to run instead of save but I wasnt sure which one to do or if it even matters. Once the game downloaded, and the install wizard thing pops up, I chose to install it to the same folder that the original rtw is, which is under the creative assembly.

OK, so now I have bi-rtrpe and rtrpe shortcuts on my desktop. When I try to open those, the first screen with the map comes up and it is definately the new game, then 'failed to open sound database' pops up, I click ok and it kicks me off and displays "script error in rtrpe/data/descr_sounds_units_ambient.txt, at line 6193, column 93. Mount type elephant oliphant not found"

I know this though, I go "my computer/C:/program files/the creative assembly/" Here I have a vanilla copy of rtw and my copy that I sent rtrpe to. When i go in there, I have the vanilla games, data, preferences, etc and the rtrpe folder that I installed. But, when I go in that folder, the actual rtrpe game is not there. the only stuff in there are data, preferences, campaign_map_reset, and read.

That is where I am at. I have always been a sports game on ps3 type of guy, but since I discovered there were games like this out there, I have been obsessed with them. Thanks for the help.

Try to download again and this time choose to save the file to your harddisk and see that the process completes uninterruptedly. Then run the installer from your drive and try to install again.
    The indications are that you`re installing it in the wrong place somehow, but from what you`re saying you seem to have done it properly...

I will try that. I hope that I am doing a proper full delete. I just delete the rtrpe folder in C: and the shortcuts. Is that enough? Also, when you say save to the hard disk. What is that? Is that C:? Sorry for the stupid questions.

Thanks

It doesn`t matter on what drive as long as it saves it there. If you have made a second copy of your RTW folder(alongside the original one) you can just delete the copy and make another clean one to give it another shot at installing the mod. But, if you can afford a second game folder especially for the mod you could very well install the regular/non mod switch version of RTRPE instead of the mod switch one.

OK, I think I got all of rtrpe deleted. Then I made a copy of the clean copy of rtw and downloaded and installed a new rtrpe non mod switch to the copy of the copy. Everything was working and then I got to the select faction screen, picked my faction, and pressed the arrow to start the game. Then a window pops up saying microsoft has encountered a problem and needs to shut down and it kicks me off.

I dont know if it matters, but when I installed rtrpe, the window pops up to choose where to install it. I choose the harddisk trw folder but there is another tab at the bottom of the window that is set to 'winzip', which is what I kept it on, but there is also an option to change it from 'winzip' to 'all files'.

After rtrpe intalls, the winzip window pops up and says I can use winzip for evaluation purposes only. I click on I agree and it starts extracting.

Again, I dont know if this winzip thing is my problem but whatever it is, it is killing me getting this close and not being able to play.

Thanks again

I`m sorry, I can`t give you much help with the mod switch version. I haven`t tried it myself and I`m not familiar with how its installer functions. Not even sure if it`s part of an archive which maybe you have not decompressed first.

Please go to these locations:
    Rome - Total War\RTRPE\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign
    Rome - Total War\RTRPE\data\world\maps\base

and remove the files named map.rwm if you find any. Then try to start a campaign again.

If it still isn`t working the only thing I can do is post an old, but very detailed guide on installing RTRPE, the non modfoldered version.

Its working! I had manually delete the map file, but it is working and Iam loving it!

Thanks Florin80.

I'm having exactly the same problem as unfortunate ham, but the twist is that I don't have my rtw gold[incl. BI 1.6] in either a activision or a creative assembly folder, I think I renamed the folder when installing rtw gold and I installed RTRPE in a folder[RTR] in the rtw directory but I'm experiencing the same problem, the shortcuts[both of them, the regular one and the BI one] simply don't work, and I there's no other way to run it is there? so could changing the name of the folder mess up the shortcuts? If so what should I do?
    thnx in advance

RTRPE needs to be installed inside the main game folder(Rome - Total War or whatever you named it); where you actually have the game installed. The fact that it can`t find the exe means you have not installed it in the right place.