Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Preview] new Seleucid!

Marcellvs Orellivs's Avatar Laetus

Default Re: [Preview] new Seleucid!

aqd, i'm gonna level with ya...

AMAZING!
    Can I please test?

It's a nightmare... make less armies for lower difficulties. I'm not a pro at it by any means

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Quote Originally Posted by Marcellvs Orellivs View Post
    aqd, i'm gonna level with ya...

AMAZING!
    Can I please test?
    I'll release the mod in a few days (tomorrow if possible), with a new Bactrian unit roster

Quote Originally Posted by M.P.C.U. View Post
    It's a nightmare... make less armies for lower difficulties. I'm not a pro at it by any means
    You can use "add_money 40000" cheat in the console! With unlimited money you can easily raise huge armies of persian/syrian pikemen, median cavalry, persian heavy cavalry and syrian archers, or persian horse archers from babylonia and further east.

Great work, a very high level GJ

I`ll post here since I couldn`t find your greek units thread. It`s probably just as relevant here too though. You made this comment in the eb thread:
    Besides, I'm not really sure the traditional hoplites were still used during EB's timeframe. There are certainly heavy infantry armed with short spears and smaller aspis shield, but no hard evidence for "hoplites".
    I`ve certainly seen some illustrators making infantrymen armed with round shields and spears(no body armor usually) and branding them generically "mercenary infantry" or along these lines. My question, what are those guys good for? As you`ve said, they don`t look either hoplites or pikemen. Are they mentioned anywhere in this particular shape with any mention on how they fought?

I suppose I could have posted the question in the eb thread, but I wouldn`t post in a historical accuracy debate thread concerning eb for the life of me.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Quote Originally Posted by florin80 View Post
    I`ll post here since I couldn`t find your greek units thread. It`s probably just as relevant here too though. You made this comment in the eb thread:

I`ve certainly seen some illustrators making infantrymen armed with round shields and spears(no body armor usually) and branding them generically "mercenary infantry" or along these lines. My question, what are those guys good for? As you`ve said, they don`t look either hoplites or pikemen. Are they mentioned anywhere in this particular shape with any mention on how they fought?

I suppose I could have posted the question in the eb thread, but I wouldn`t post in a historical accuracy debate thread concerning eb for the life of me.
    I think they're some kind of medium infantry, probably as same as thureophoroi and used to protect the gaps and flanks of phalanx line, and the Macedonian Hypaspistai were sometimes depicted just like that. The Seleucid empire, for instance, had the "elephant guard" who were also armed that way. And it's hard to tell whether their short "spear" is a spear or heavy javelins, or both.
    Last edited by AqD; July 29, 2009 at 09:32 AM. Reason: correct stuff

great work aqd i can see the dedication you put into it, im downloading your mod right now

you got yourself a follower hehe :p "Aqd's disciples hehe"
    + Hospitallers, Teutonics and Templars Mod Coming Very Soon on ETW yes on ETW +

fourganger's Avatar Semisalis

Dang aqd...

Just when I thought I was out..you pulled me right back in!

Seriously, this may be able to get me off Empire : Total War. I've missed swords, shields, and cavalry that can actually do some damage. Excellent work as usual.
    Whatcha' wearing?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Daddy smells leather...

Quote Originally Posted by aqd View Post
    You can use "add_money 40000" cheat in the console! With unlimited money you can easily raise huge armies of persian/syrian pikemen, median cavalry, persian heavy cavalry and syrian archers, or persian horse archers from babylonia and further east.
    Is there a way to make the AI actually smarter instead of just constantly injected with cash? Which would sort out having to use cheats myself (which I hate personally, feels like... well, cheating ).

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Nope. It cannot be smarter

Oh I've seen mods that say it makes the AI better, oh well.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

you mean the formation thing? Nope it doesn't. A better initial formation only helps when AI doesn't re-organize it, and the player doesn't provoke AI to do so

Here is a simple example to break AI formation and force it to reorganize:

(*: AI, H = Heavy Inf, L = Cav & Light Inf)

Stage 1:
    Code:

HHHHHH
        LLLLLL
    Stage 2:
    Code:
    LL
    LL  HHHHHH
    LL
    Stage 3:
    Code:
    LL
    LL  ******
    LL  ******

HHHHHH
    Such simple manuvers could force AI to wheel around and thus break the initial formation completely, and throw them into chaos if you have enough light infantry/archers and cavalry and keep them moving all the time.
    Last edited by AqD; August 14, 2009 at 03:39 AM.

Yeah, but in my opinion it's cheating... I'd rather use actual skill the beat the AI than a cheat...
    ...ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

But but ..... all your skills are cheatings to the brainless AI.

Then the less you cheat, the fairer, funner and more challenging it is

After iŽve started playing EB, i had a hope to avoid to early confrontations with some "expansionist, mighty nightmares" like Romans due to severe rebell stacks and the moderate campaign difficulty i was playing. But the result was almoust the same iŽve experienced in RTW or RTR: if i wouldnŽt attack my counterparts strait ahead, to prevent them to steamroll me with their multiple stacks later on, if iŽd let them develope their power.
    My conclusion is: more money for AI is the wrong way to create a challenging experience for a player. Scripted armies and generaly scripts may correct AI dumbness to a decent degree.

We need to send a petition to Activision or something... GIVE US A ******* AI THAT WORKS AND MAKES GOOD DECISIONS!!!!
    Last edited by Sir Walter; August 22, 2009 at 04:47 AM.

Lol, didn't realise about that smiley...

ProdigalSon's Avatar Foederatus

Really beatiful units, seeing them again makes me wanting to continue my seleucid campaign. I loved them the most among factions like in other mods, and here they are unique looking too, but being so big/time consuming to manage sometimes makes me a little bored and abandoning the campaign. This actually happens to any faction when i get too big and unstoppable.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

@ProdigalSon: The Seleucid campaign in my mod is fast. In the beginning you're facing a serious Ptolemaic invasion, which would soon decide the fate of your empire - either you lose syria and get cut to asia minor and persia with enemies everywhere, or you destroy Ptolemaic kingdom and become unstoppable

PS: it's quite possible to lose against the initial Ptolemaic armies if you play on VH/H battle difficulty
    Last edited by AqD; August 21, 2009 at 03:11 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast