Thread: Tighter Formations mod with TROM - anyone tried

Default Tighter Formations mod with TROM - anyone tried

I have read the explanation of non-parade drill being practiced on the field of battle. But I wanted to look at this mod with parade drill and formation.

Has anybody tried the tighter formations mod with TROM. Although I cannot see why it would not work.

NOTE: I am undecided on the tighter or looser formations thing. I certainly know the only reason CA did it was due to their own animation issues. And we all know that computer animation has limits. Coding for collision avoidance would add a whole new crippling cpu effect.
    I certainly have over 20 pics from various source that depict much closer ranks... whether they be drill or not guessing otherwise does not look as good and also contradicts almost all other works.
    Last edited by Destraex; June 20, 2009 at 07:27 AM.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

Default Re: Tighter Formations mod with TROM - anyone tried

Quote Originally Posted by Destraex View Post
    I have read the explanation of non-parade drill being practiced on the field of battle. But I wanted to look at this mod with parade drill and formation.

Has anybody tried the tighter formations mod with TROM. Although I cannot see why it would not work.

NOTE: I am undecided on the tighter or looser formations thing. I certainly know the only reason CA did it was due to their own animation issues. And we all know that computer animation has limits. Coding for collision avoidance would add a whole new crippling cpu effect.
    I certainly have over 20 pics from various source that depict much closer ranks... whether they be drill or not guessing otherwise does not look as good and also contradicts almost all other works.
    This will conflict with TROM.

I will be tightening formations per some excellent feedback received a few weeks ago.

excellent.... how will it conflict? I tried it just then and it seemed to work ok. It actually looks better with no packs too..
    I'm assuming it overrides an entire file instead of just formations lines?

Edit: could u post a link per chance to that feedback? I'd love to read it.

P.S. this mod is what brought me back to etw.... its great!!! Kudos to you Sage2. And to your excellent responses on this forum.
    Last edited by Destraex; June 20, 2009 at 08:45 AM.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

i think, we have the same issue on the IS forum. Tighter formation will change half of your unit stats to vanilla - all the ones that are stored with the formation spacing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmeat View Post
    i think, we have the same issue on the IS forum. Tighter formation will change half of your unit stats to vanilla - all the ones that are stored with the formation spacing.
    Yup. I would strongly advise against using the tighter formations mod. It will conflict with MANY elements of TROM. Yes, it will *function*, but not correctly.

if I may have a question on you sage2......I don't know whether you are familiar with the DarthMod Commander edition....they upped the amount of soldiers in comparison to the Vanilla......for example on High I have 120 line...they had 225.....my question would be....in TROM are you planning on maybe upping the multiplier for the units sizes....to make let's say 160-180 man Line INf on High settings?? it would give the game a little better feel.....it is great with the Vanilla sizes.....just asking...as I did play before patch 1.2 and 1.3 the Commander addition and it was fun...but a little too much

Johan217's Avatar Campidoctor

Probably not. Huge units are only fun until you see them getting stuck behind a fence or building. I'm afraid ETW simply can't handle unit sizes that big. In fact, the current "huge" size is probably already a bit too much for the AI.
    Rock 'n' roll is the only religion that will never let you down

Quote Originally Posted by Johan217 View Post
    Probably not. Huge units are only fun until you see them getting stuck behind a fence or building. I'm afraid ETW simply can't handle unit sizes that big. In fact, the current "huge" size is probably already a bit too much for the AI.
    I've had times where I run a line of infantry up to fire on another line but they take forever to because one of them couldn't get over the fence they'd hopped past quickly enough to keep up with the rest.

I agree. Enough men in units currently

its easy to tighten up the formations yourself in patch.pack/db/units_stats_land i change it file to 1 and rank space to 1.5 i think vanilla is 1.5 and 2 but i do it my self so there are never any conflicts

I tried it and it caused CTD's with TROM which is a shame as all the formations in ETW are actually in extended order, so basically they are all skirmishers in vanilla mode.

Hey Didz,

A while back, there was a long and indepth post in the TROM forum from someone talking about all the different formations for different nationalities. I can't find it to save my life, but would like to update the different types of line to match to that post. If you could help me find it, and post a link to this thread, I would be much obliged -- and I will use it to tighten up formations in a future release.

Quote Originally Posted by sage2 View Post
    Hey Didz,

A while back, there was a long and indepth post in the TROM forum from someone talking about all the different formations for different nationalities. I can't find it to save my life, but would like to update the different types of line to match to that post. If you could help me find it, and post a link to this thread, I would be much obliged -- and I will use it to tighten up formations in a future release.
    I've had a quick look through and couldn't find anything, can you remember any more detail that might help track it down?

If not we could always start another thread and see if we can reproduce the information.

Quote Originally Posted by Destraex View Post
    I agree. Enough men in units currently
    OT but do you know your sigs broken man?

It's been so from more than a month, it just slipped my mind to tell ya.

thanks beastro. yeah... changed it now

Still says it broken.