Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: FPS-Boost Script and 32Bit-Workaround (better gaming experience!)

Default Re: FPS-Boost Script and 3GB Switch Workaround (better gaming experience!)

if some1 wants to know... there is an utility like this .exe, but you dont have to enable/disable or have another window opened, it just works as a service

http://forums.srcds.com/viewtopic/4665

and no, this is not overclocking, neither it wont give more FPS (unless the game has some kind of bug xP) or get the beneficts of overclocking, but it does increase smoothness

Vifarc's Avatar Senator

Default Re: FPS-Boost Script and 3GB Switch Workaround (better gaming experience!)

On Armed Assault II, my OFPMark score is slightly worst by FPS-Boost! (2020->2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Black_ice_Spain View Post
    if some1 wants to know... there is an utility like this .exe, but you dont have to enable/disable or have another window opened, it just works as a service

http://forums.srcds.com/viewtopic/4665

and no, this is not overclocking, neither it wont give more FPS (unless the game has some kind of bug xP) or get the beneficts of overclocking, but it does increase smoothness
    Interesting that someone did the same thing as me. Look's like I am not the only one who noticed a performance increase when using Media Player.
    That's how the most people get to use this script so its nice that there are other forum around the world were something similiar is provided with even the same name.

Quote Originally Posted by Vifarc View Post
    On Armed Assault II, my OFPMark score is slightly worst by FPS-Boost! (2020->2010)
    I'm sorry but I cant help you on this one. Anyway I dont think that my Script caused this problem, would need more informations.
    Last edited by YassirX; July 12, 2009 at 05:55 AM.

axnsan's Avatar Protector Domesticus

If I use that script, will it make any difference if I run yours too?

Quote Originally Posted by axnsan View Post
    If I use that script, will it make any difference if I run yours too?
    No you would not notice a difference when running both, the posted script above uses the same mechanic as mine.
    Maybe you even get performance issues.. cause the other script uses another way to start, maybe they will be both in the command per... I will not try it out.

I dont want to bother the creator of the script but his one seems not be to weidly thought. It starts everytime automaticlly and need to be un-installed to stop. Mine can be triggerd on / off at likely and to un-install you only need to delete the exe.

I've reported the reply on top to avoid people using both, I dont want anyone to get bad results! There will be a warning message soon. It will be not deleted maybe someone like the other mechanic better...
    Last edited by YassirX; July 12, 2009 at 06:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YassirX View Post
    No you would not notice a difference when running both, the posted script above uses the same mechanic as mine.
    Maybe you even get performance issues.. cause the other script uses another way to start, maybe they will be both in the command per... I will not try it out.

I dont want to bother the creator of the script but his one seems not be to weidly thought. It starts everytime automaticlly and need to be un-installed to stop. Mine can be triggerd on / off at likely and to un-install you only need to delete the exe.

I've reported the reply on top to avoid people using both, I dont want anyone to get bad results! There will be a warning message soon. It will be not deleted maybe someone like the other mechanic better...
    I've been used ur script (i didnt knew there was this trick, i knew that WMP makes things with it, but not that there are "WMP" simulations which dont take 100mb ram D), but i always forget to put it on, and well... i play wow, which also has some beneficts from that, there r many games with that (the script i posted above its a fix for source games i think), so i looked for the same fix but running on background .

This is the lazy ass way, yours is the manual-easy way, each 1 take his own =), but no1 of both gave problems here while running everytime on my pc =), i dont think that microsoft would want to give problems to users with WMP on .

PD: If you want to start, stop it etc, just go Start menu, run (or press win+R keys), execute services.msc, and look for the "Fast Multimedia Timer" Service (you can stop it, dont start anymore, set to manual, etc... as any other service), been using it during 1day and no problems so far.

Oh, and vifarc, this script DOESNT increase FPS, neither decrease (i mean it does use cpu and almost 0 memory), except if the game is buggy like something with source games, and WoW, but i think WoW old versions, but it does infact increase the sense of smoothness (our tricky mind? ), but 10points of decrease its nothing, i mean, you wont get the same performance twice on the same pc, there are soooo many semi-random things that change it (windows scheluder, timers..., programmes working background... etc).

I think that around 3%-5% difference between benchmarks can depend of those factors, nothing to do with the boost script. I bet that if you re-run the benchmark with the script enabled, you will get higher than 2020 in some of your benchmarks .
    Last edited by Black_ice_Spain; July 12, 2009 at 04:50 PM.

Do you know how to make this script for 64 bit versions?
    I.e. if 4 gigs enabling 3500 than the current 2500mb?

Quote Originally Posted by Devils_Advocate View Post
    Do you know how to make this script for 64 bit versions?
    I.e. if 4 gigs enabling 3500 than the current 2500mb?

nvm lol i thought the trick in main post was the typical /3gb to address more ram

the script iself shud work, and the uservar thing... you shouldnt need it w 64bits systems, but if you want to try... 512mb shud be enuf for kernel

PD: Btw... yassirX, why you say that this script doesnt work with overclocked CPUs? I mean, it doesnt increase frequencies nor anything, its just changes a few things, i mean, it wont find any difference from my 4200+ overclocked and a 5000+ stock -_-, i dont get why OC makes a difference, but mby im missing sumthing.
    Last edited by Black_ice_Spain; July 12, 2009 at 05:36 PM.

nvm lol i thought the trick in main post was the typical /3gb to address more ram

the script iself shud work, and the uservar thing... you shouldnt need it w 64bits systems, but if you want to try... 512mb shud be enuf for kernel

PD: Btw... yassirX, why you say that this script doesnt work with overclocked CPUs? I mean, it doesnt increase frequencies nor anything, its just changes a few things, i mean, it wont find any difference from my 4200+ overclocked and a 5000+ stock -_-, i dont get why OC makes a difference, but mby im missing sumthing.
    Actually it could work with them, but as there is waranty lost etc. I dont want to bother with it. Also I noticed no increase when overclocking my cpu E8400 @3.0 to lets say 3.5... thats why I thought it will not work with overclocked cpu's cause there is an task issue and the script is not able to change the frequency.

Also there could be problems cause overclocked components allready run on their limits, I dont want anyone to get any issues by my script.
    Those who overclocked their components can try it out, but I dont support it.

nah, the script itself doesnt increase load on components, its just that it changes the way windows handles something i think. anyways maybe you noticed no increase from 3 to 3'5ghz, in MTWII, 3ghz shud be enuf for many games (and your gpu may be holding you back)... but try gta IV or other, and u'll see ^^. overclocking cpu is direct performance gain, if u OC 25% then, the cpu works 25% faster no matter what (you wont notice if game doesnt use it or gpu is holding you back of course but try cpu benchmarks ),

nah, the script itself doesnt increase load on components, its just that it changes the way windows handles something i think. anyways maybe you noticed no increase from 3 to 3'5ghz, in MTWII, 3ghz shud be enuf for many games (and your gpu may be holding you back)... but try gta IV or other, and u'll see ^^. overclocking cpu is direct performance gain, if u OC 25% then, the cpu works 25% faster no matter what (you wont notice if game doesnt use it or gpu is holding you back of course but try cpu benchmarks ),
    Thats interesting, I've yet tested this Script only with older games as I have bought a Playstation 3 and can't get myself to buy new games for my computer. The games that are actually on my harddrive do hardly support dual-core most of them doesn't.

I've tested the script with different games before the release, I've even overclocked my CPU for some reasons to see if I get better results and I've of course used a benchmark to get exact results. The effect caused by my script was very small or non existent in all of my tests with overclocked CPU.
    The problem is that I am not able to test the script with the newest games... maybe there is a effect, I am not able to test it.

As I am not able to test it I dont recommend anyone to try it... simply cause I can't help anyone out who notify problems after using my script. It has been tested on stock components, there it works properly... using it with overclocked components is not intended as there was no succesful testing regarding this.

Good stuff, i dont really notice much difference, but... its good anyway

What exacly does 3GB switch workaround do? I did all the changes in the ini file, but what exactly did I change?
    Thanks.

STELLover's Avatar Senator

I am confused because everybody here have different complaints and effects

But btw, it was a increase in performance!! I have a Alienware m15, playing at Medium/High- with no shadows and the FPS increased from 30-32

ROME 2 Mod: More Cities and Settlements on Campaign Map:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=194761024

Quote Originally Posted by archer9 View Post
    What exacly does 3GB switch workaround do? I did all the changes in the ini file, but what exactly did I change?
    Thanks.
    When you run a 32Bit Operative System it allows your Computer to use 3GB of your memory, normally it is limited to 2GB on 32Bit Systems. You can only do this when you got at least 4GB Memory.
    By increasing the available memory for Programs to 3GB your will notice an increase in games which need that amount of adressing space. Medieval 2 is one of them.

anyways if you have 4gb memory, better go x64 system , and win7 is alrdy on almost-RTM, which is pretty stable (being my main OS for 3months alrdy)

IZ-Master's Avatar Centenarius

so just to be clear , this work with any game ? ^^ , or just this one ? I could use this , I got a quad core with a geforce GTX 8800 - not overclocked - so will this program helps with that setup ^^

oh yeah 3 gb ram and window xp 32bits

Stainless Steel Beta Tester Version 6.0->6.1
    DarthMod 1.4 D: The Last Episode Beta Tester

Quote Originally Posted by IZ-Master View Post
    so just to be clear , this work with any game ? ^^ , or just this one ? I could use this , I got a quad core with a geforce GTX 8800 - not overclocked - so will this program helps with that setup ^^

oh yeah 3 gb ram and window xp 32bits
    It works with any Game / Program.
    It works with your specs.

Have fun.

Space Voyager's Avatar Campidoctor

Just a quick Q; the file somebody else posted does the same as your script buy you don't need to run it every time, right?

When could this be a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Space Voyager View Post
    Just a quick Q; the file somebody else posted does the same as your script buy you don't need to run it every time, right?

When could this be a bad thing?
    yes, and... never i think, unless you get some kind of problem, which i didnt, and i had it 3days...