Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: FPS-Boost Script and 32Bit-Workaround (better gaming experience!)

Default FPS-Boost Script and 32Bit-Workaround (better gaming experience!)

FPS (Frames per Second) defines the amount of pictures shown on your monitor in one second.
    This is a Command-Script which is enabling your computer to manually adjust the CPU-Timer-Frequency, this causes a higher FPS and a stable good performance! Applications like Medieval 2 will be treated with higher priority and get addressed with more "power". The script will not overclock any components.

Download FPS-Booster (click)

__________________________________________________________________________________________

After you downloaded the command-script you will need to open the file.
    You will see the following message:

"Press any Key to restore Normal Timer Frequency"

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Now start your Game/Application.
    After you finished playing, view the FPS-Booster in your Running-Tab. Press Enter and your normal Frequency is restored.
    Your components will not get any bad influence cause of that. The same Frequency-Boost appears when running "Window Media Player", but that is Memory intensive, my script doesn't cause any memory usage..

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Important:
    1. Run the FPS-Booster as Administrator.
    2. The advantage gained by the script is limited by your computer configuration
    3. The Hyper-Threading technology in newer CPU's prevents the issue which is addressed by the FPS-Booster. Don't expect a performance leap in that case.
    Last edited by Gigantus; January 19, 2016 at 09:28 PM. Reason: removed illegal 4GB patch link

Default Re: FPS Boost-Frequenze Script

3GB Switch Workaround for 32Bit Operating Systems
    MadBoris provided a workaround similar to the one he provided for Supreme Commander here for reference.

What does it do?
    It has to do two things that both rely on each other to work. We have to tell the operating system it can use more than 2GB user address space, 2.5GB actually, while leaving 1.5Gb for the kernel. We also have to set the Empire.exe executable to be allowed to address beyond the 2GB ceiling, which means that the exe needs to be Large Address Aware.

What does it help with?
    This is not the solution for all crashes. It deals primarily with the crash to desktop that is caused by lack of virtual address space.Due to the unique nature of how addresses are mapped differently on each machine this crash may happen at different places and times of the game, even loading a map, menu or waiting on an AI turn. If you try this fix, and you follow directions properly, and it doesn't help you then your crash is due to something else.

How do I do it?
    Follow directions explicitly. I have seen people consistently skip steps or not read the directions properly so it doesn't work for them when they don't do what it says. it's not as complicated as it sounds, I'm just being thorough.

Requirements

Only real requirements is that you have atleast 2GB RAM. You don't need beyond that even though we are allowing addressing up to 2.5 GB. Also following instructions and being somewhat familiar with working with files in windows is required. Make sure you are using Vista SP1. If not then you need this hotfix that fixes a major blunder with Vista address space - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105

THE WORKAROUND

XP 32
    * Find your Boot.ini located usually on the C:.
    If you cannot see it, you probably have system files hidden, then follow these instructions at microsoft (also uncheck "hide protected operating system files")
    * Right click on the boot.ini and choose properties. Uncheck "read only"
    * Open the boot.ini by double clicking it.
    * Under the section called [operating systems] find the line that says "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional...". Yours may look a bit different. We are going to make a duplicate, so that if you make a mistake you will not harm yourself from booting into your computer. Drag you're mouse across the entire line, right click and choose copy. Then right below the line you just copied right click your mouse and choose paste. You should now have two lines one after another that are exact duplicates.
    * Change the bottom line that you just copied with the following addition on the end. Add a space at the end of the line and then this without the quotes "/3GB /USERVA=2500"
    * In that lower boot entry you just made, find the name of the operating system in quotes and change it to something like "Windows XP 3GB", so you can differentiate at boot up.
    * Close and save the boot.ini.
    * Right click on the boot.ini, hit properties, check read only.

Vista 32
    * In Vista go to Start menu. Go to Accessories. Locate the command prompt shortcut and hover mouse over it. Right Click on the shortcut then select Run as Administrator.
    * In the command prompt type this exactly: bcdedit /set increaseuserva 2500. Then hit enter.
    * Make sure you get a message back confirming the change was made. To verify the entry is there you can type just bcdedit, hit enter, and you should see the entry now listed.
    * Then close the command prompt. You just told Vista to increase user virtual address (userva) space to 2500MB.
    * Now reboot to make the changes appear.

Windows 7
    * Open your start menu and type "cmd" into the search box. (also can be located at the "extras" tab)
    * Right click on "cmd.exe" and run it as admin.
    * Type in the following command: BCDEDIT.EXE /Set IncreaseUserVa 2500.
    * Leave the command window and resart your computer.

SUMMARY
    We extended the user virtual address space in XP and Vista to 2500MB, so now applications can utilize up to that much if they are set to be Large Address Aware.
    If you still encounter performance issues, it is possible to chose a higher amount of UserVa (I recommend a maximun of 2900) -> /Set IncreaseUserVa 2900

TO UNDO THE CHANGES
    For the XP 32 bit just delete the line from your boot.ini.
    For Vista 32 / Windows 7 Open command prompt as administrator and type: bcdedit /deletevalue increaseuserva. That deletes the entry.
    Reboot and you are back to normal.

thx @madboris
    Last edited by YassirX; February 17, 2013 at 10:21 AM.

So this will increase performance of FPS? Or does it reduce lag?

Quote Originally Posted by A1_Unit View Post
    So this will increase performance of FPS?
    yes, it increases the timer-frequenzy of your computer components.

Low FPS is lag?

Low FPS is lag?
    Yes
    Last edited by YassirX; January 22, 2012 at 04:14 AM.

Default Re: FPS-Boost Script (better Gaming expierence!)

Increasing FPS=less lag!

Vifarc's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by YassirX View Post
    is enabling your Computer to manually adust the CPU-Timer-Frequency, this causes a higher FPS!
    That's an overclocking??

Increasing FPS=less lag!
    Seems like I didn't quite understand your first post
    Youre absolutley right, by increasing the fps you also reduce your picture freezes (lags).

Quote Originally Posted by Vifarc View Post
    That's an overclocking??
    Kind of, it adjust the Timer Frequency of your CPU. To do this you would normally need to manually adjust the CPU Stats.
    This Script is not fit on a specific Timer-Score and thats why it is better than manually adjusting the Frequency in the CPU-Configuration.

If the CPU-Usage is high the Timer-Frequency will get higher too, to allow a maximum of power.
    Just test it yourself

Edit: To sum it up, your appliaction will be treated with a higher priority.
    Last edited by YassirX; January 22, 2012 at 04:15 AM.

thanks

Vifarc's Avatar Senator

Kind of overclocking, it adjust the Timer Frequency of your CPU. To do this you would normally need to manually adjust the CPU Stats.
    This Script is not fit on a specific Timer-Score and thats why it is better than manually adjusting the Frequency in the CPU-Configuration.
    If the CPU-Usage is high the Timer-Frequency will get higher too, to allow a maximum of power.
    Just test it yourself
    Then I think this thread must be deleted, or you have to write a big warning, as overclocking is not a normal use of the hardware (warranty is lost?).

if i'm not wrong it's more like a underclock matching the cycles/ timer to a frequency that matches what is most optimized for the specific program... AFAIK underclocking doesn't always mean worse performance and doesn't mean breaking the waranty (i think) but i'm uing it on a bios locked lappy and even i saw improvements..

Quote Originally Posted by Vifarc View Post
    Then I think this thread must be deleted, or you have to write a big warning, as overclocking is not a normal use of the hardware (warranty is lost?).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomimo View Post
    if i'm not wrong it's more like a underclock matching the cycles/ timer to a frequency that matches what is most optimized for the specific program... AFAIK underclocking doesn't always mean worse performance and doesn't mean breaking the waranty (i think) but i'm uing it on a bios locked lappy and even i saw improvements..

correct, you also get the same result when running windows media player in the background but cause of the memory intensity you would not get a noticeable better performance.
    If this Script would cause you "any" problem's like bad influence on the components or the lose of the waranty I wouldn't post it here.

I use the Script myself.

JuL14n's Avatar Centenarius

Will give this a try, and I hope you don't lead us all to ruin.
    btw, It's a bit scary to open an 40kb .exe-file

And thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JuL14n View Post
    Will give this a try, and I hope you don't lead us all to ruin.
    btw, It's a bit scary to open an 40kb .exe-file

And thanks
    Dont worry, be happy

Dont worry, be happy
    hmm, it didn't seem to work.

Is it hardware specific? I've got AMD 64 4000+, and can control most of it with Nvidia controlpanel.

hmm, it didn't seem to work.

Is it hardware specific? I've got AMD 64 4000+, and can control most of it with Nvidia controlpanel.
    What didn't work exactly, when you clicked on the Exe, did you get an Command-Window or did it not appear?

Try running the Exe as Admin.
    - The Script is not Hardware specific and runs with any CPU.
    Last edited by YassirX; June 21, 2009 at 07:23 AM.

What didn't work exactly, when you clicked on the Exe, did you get an Command-Window or did it not appear?

Try running the Exe as Admin.
    - The Script is not Hardware specific and runs with any CPU.
    The cmd window came up, but my FPS didn't increase.

But I ran it while the game was running, and my low FPS was probably most because of all models it
    had to load.
    Could be that my CPU got 7 stars in command and my GPU is weak with it's unit on 256mb.

Will test it in another game which requires more of the CPU, Oblivion.
    A huge battle in vanilla medieval 2 could also work.

edit: Wait, mount & blade! Almost crashed my computer when I played a battle with over 300 men on the field at the same time.
    Last edited by JuL14n; June 21, 2009 at 08:23 AM.

The cmd window came up, but my FPS didn't increase.

But I ran it while the game was running, and my low FPS was probably most because of all models it
    had to load.
    Could be that my CPU got 7 stars in command and my GPU is weak with it's unit on 256mb.

Will test it in another game which requires more of the CPU, Oblivion.
    A huge battle in vanilla medieval 2 could also work.

edit: Wait, mount & blade! Almost crashed my computer when I played a battle with over 300 men on the field at the same time.
    The FPS-Boost Script is mainly an additonal stable increase. When your GPU Power is low it will not help to higher the timer frequency of your cpu as your gpu is limited
    Its possible that you get a weak increase but your gpu limits the cpu... thats the problem.

As long as it works and doesn't make your CPU work beyond its stated limit (overclocking) I wouldn't be opposed to stickying it. Many people have lag problems and every little helps.

I just want confirmation from more people on whether this actually helps before I sticky. Not because I get a kick from being suspicious but because I need to be objective and act responsibly. Hopefully I'll be able to test it myself in the following few days and we'll see what some of the others say.

Don't worry, this isn't too active a sub-forum so this thread won't sink to the 2nd page (well, it will but veeeery slowly ).

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast