Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Roma Surrectum: Midsummer Music preview

Default Re: Roma Surrectum: Midsummer Music preview

The music is alright. It just doesn't hit me with that WOW factor.

I just think more research could have been done to into the music of antiquity, certainly on the part of the composer. The recording has been done on Logic (apart from the vocals) it sounds mechanical rather than expressive. With a big company like apple? There are plenty of fantastic session musicians out there, or top quality amateur orchestras, bands and ensembles that could do a better job on the recording.
    Call me a boring traditionalist, though I don’t see why we have to use electronics when there are plenty of musicians and orchestras out there.
    I know, I may sound as if I am slating it but I assure I am not. If I was marking a student’s work at A level, I would probably give it a B. It is good, solid, secure.... it needs that missing ingredient.

Check out, Miklos Rosza - Ben Hur. Ottorino Respighi – Pines of Rome. Hans Zimmer – Gladiator (done to death), Jeff Beal – HBO Rome (good but not great though it does have its moments of brilliance)

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

Having a budget of 0 Logic was my only way of doing it.
    Give me a full orchestra and I will use it.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

Remlap's Avatar Lag Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by falcons1988 View Post
    The music is alright. It just doesn't hit me with that WOW factor.

I just think more research could have been done to into the music of antiquity, certainly on the part of the composer. The recording has been done on Logic (apart from the vocals) it sounds mechanical rather than expressive. With a big company like apple? There are plenty of fantastic session musicians out there, or top quality amateur orchestras, bands and ensembles that could do a better job on the recording.
    Call me a boring traditionalist, though I don’t see why we have to use electronics when there are plenty of musicians and orchestras out there.
    I know, I may sound as if I am slating it but I assure I am not. If I was marking a student’s work at A level, I would probably give it a B. It is good, solid, secure.... it needs that missing ingredient.

Check out, Miklos Rosza - Ben Hur. Ottorino Respighi – Pines of Rome. Hans Zimmer – Gladiator (done to death), Jeff Beal – HBO Rome (good but not great though it does have its moments of brilliance)
    If you think those are good examples of antiquity you really need to rethink your statement. The only composer to have really gone in and tried to find the heart that made up antiquity was Carl Orrf. But they did not even have orchestra's back then, so maybe you would prefered them going back to the real roots of antiquity by having lutes and sotto voce. Like apple said he did this with a budget of 0$ and if you actually listen to the music you can hear that it is complex musically which is more than you can say for a lot of composers these days. Oh and lets not forget the fact that they actually are using original music made for the mod. How dare they not use copyrighted materials.

Quote Originally Posted by apple View Post
    Having a budget of 0 Logic was my only way of doing it.
    Give me a full orchestra and I will use it.
    Well done!, my apologies, when apple was mentioned, I thought it referred to apple.
    IF you could get it played by an Orchestra, it would sound great! Most amateur orchestras will let you have an hour or so in their rehearsal to go through things, like composers they are dedicated musicians and have a love of music.

Certainly with the orchestras and bands I (have) play(ed) with; myself and others have taken new music down to run through it is a nice change. Don't be put off, search your local orchestras/bands/ensembles, drop them an e-mail.

All the same good work!

What version of logic do you use?
    Great piece of software, though I don't have the patience for logic when it comes to composing. I prefer recording with logic.

Though I tend to use sibelius.

For heaven's sake, KEEP COMPOSING!

@Remap.
    I am fully aware of the music of antiquity, I have done large amounts of research into music of the period.
    The Romans DID have orchestras and ensembles, though not as we know them today; certainly comparatively with that of the Renaissance and Baroque. Scales and tuning were developed by Pythagoras Aristoxenos and many of their contemporaries. Nero commissioned a brand new design of Hydraulis to played at a massive festival in Rome, shortly before his suicide. There is evidence support ensemble playing of 10-20 musicians; both from ancient Greece and Rome.

Instrumentation, it was not just lutes and voice, the Brass (bronze) section of ancient Rome was fantastic. They had the capabilities of Baroque Trumpets. The mouthpieces had all the same characteristics one would expect from a modern mouthpiece.

When I was referring to the music of Respighi, Miklos Rosza etc... I was referring to that in a modern sense music for film, tv and game, rather than a pastiche.

I am all for creating new music. I am a musician myself, and a critical one, interests in ethnomusicology, musicology, music of antiquity, composition, performance and musical direction.

@Apple. fancy a collaboration piece? A BIG Roman symphony?

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

I would If I wasn't swarmed i other stuff right now. Music being a hobby have had to step back a bit even though I am working on something, just completely different and no way close to roman.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123