Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Military Scenes in Film History.

Azog 150's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: Greatest Battle Scenes in Film History.

@azog150:
    I don't think you've included enough Hornburg videos.

Sorry, people. Post edited.
    Under the Patronage of Jom!

Lumina's Avatar Vicarius

Irish vs Irish.

"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
    -- Eddie Rickenbacker (1890-1973)

EireEmerald's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Watching that battle just depresses me.

Some of my relative fought in that awful war.

This isn't a battle scene but it is a scene about the IRA training in 1921 with Irish WW1 veterans.I love the acting and the accents are spot on.

IRA ambush. Kilmichael Cork. It is too sanitised but still very good. The real battle was much messier than this.

Irish Civil war. Brother against Brother.
    Last edited by EireEmerald; June 30, 2009 at 04:36 PM.

Yorkshireman's Avatar Praefectus

Default Re: Greatest Military Scenes in Film History.

Wow, Eire posts the IRA what a ing surprise ?

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshireman View Post
    I posted some mighty fins British videos as well. And I was particularily exposed to this war as my family was involved in it. I hope you don't mind.

I suppose I should have asked your permission first

If it makes you feel any better my local priest prayed for both sides losses. This ambush was close to where i live.
    Last edited by EireEmerald; June 30, 2009 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

Space Wolves's Avatar Primicerius

BoB: Market Garden

Carentan Counter attack

Special Recommendation

Sure, its star trek, and the battle scene wasn't all that great considering the incompetence factor and all, but it still brings a little sorrow to your heart none the less.
    Last edited by Space Wolves; June 30, 2009 at 05:36 PM.

20,284 Officers Lost in the Line of Duty as of 2010-12 this month- 124 this year
    Red: Suspect inflicted: Blue Accident
    Officer Christopher A Wilson: End of Watch 10/27/10: San Diego PD, CA
    Lt. Jose A Cordova Montaez: End of Watch 10/26/10: Pureto Rico PD
    Cpt. George Green: End of Watch 10/26/10: Oklahoma Highway PD
    Deputy Sheriff Odelle McDuffle Jr. 10/25/10: Liberty Country SD, Texas
    Officer John Abraham: End of Watch 10/25/10: Teaneck PD New Jersey
    Sgt. Timothy Prunty: End of Watch 10/24/10: Shreveport PD. Louisiana

Lumina's Avatar Vicarius

Love that Scene German Assault guns about half a dozen on screen running from a hand full of shermans which they can 1 hit kaboom. They even show a JagdPanther which I doubt was really there... But that thing was more indistructable than a King Tiger.

"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
    -- Eddie Rickenbacker (1890-1973)

Icewolf's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey I of Leuven View Post
    Passchendaele

UGH i LOVE this scene.... this is probably one of the best battle scenes i have ever seen... though i may be biased since i am canadian

every time i think about that movie and watch that scene i get so pissed because of how much they botched it.... if the whole movie was about PASSCHENDAELE like the title mislead i think everyone to believe, it would have been a 10/10

however it meerly gets a 3/10 due to the slobbery irrelevant love story which was almost the entire movie

OMG look at 2:00 on my first of two bastogne videos. a bullet literally passes a milli metre by his neck!

Quote Originally Posted by Muagan_ra View Post
    If we're talking war, it's the Battle of Pelennor Fields, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. I'm sure many will disagree, but I've yet to watch anything so epic.

Battles in general? The entire second half of Kill Bill v.1.
    Too comic portrayal of war. Orcs getting eaten by a green blob and the typical staged attack (orcs < rohan < elephants < green blob)

The prologue of the first LOTR movie was imo immensely superior in its portrayal. It had the semblance of units marching and fighting over a large area. The other battles were pure D&D Hack'n Slash. The elephants reminded me of battle of Hoth in how they were taken down. The battle at the black gate was plainly retarded (wait till we are completely surrounded then we have them where we want them to. The book's description was far more sophisticated)

The sad thing id that PJ definitely would have had the money to do it properly and the shots wouldn't have been any more complex or big.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

Quote Originally Posted by Icewolf View Post
    UGH i LOVE this scene.... this is probably one of the best battle scenes i have ever seen... though i may be biased since i am canadian

every time i think about that movie and watch that scene i get so pissed because of how much they botched it.... if the whole movie was about PASSCHENDAELE like the title mislead i think everyone to believe, it would have been a 10/10

however it meerly gets a 3/10 due to the slobbery irrelevant love story which was almost the entire movie
    My new favourite as well. Amazing.

Hardrada992's Avatar Decanus

[quote=Eire_Emerald;5482073]

At 15 seconds to 18 seconds you can clearly see the lead actor from 28 Days Later, don't know is name.

AND: The final scene of one of the greatest movies ever made

I particularly love the music in the beginning, and when Lancelot comes back out of no where all grizzled and whatnot.

What an amazing scene ther as well, thank you Hardrada.

Sharpe's Company's Avatar Campidoctor

For the Famous and Gallant ANZACs of the Great War
    Justice 4 Charlene
    #MoggMania
    #No2EU

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshireman View Post
    The acting is pretty damn good. And I am not the only one who has posted one or two videos simply out of patriotic pride .

Sharpe's Company's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Eire_Emerald View Post

Thats how they killed Michael Collins at Bealnablath
    Justice 4 Charlene
    #MoggMania
    #No2EU

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe's Company View Post
    Thats how they killed Michael Collins at Bealnablath

He was killed during the Civil War when ambushed by Anti Treaty troops. He was a great great man, maybe even greater than Connolly or Devalera. He will be remembered in the annals of Irish history for years to come and what happened that day was a tragedy but nonetheless one that was always a danger.

And unlike Beal na blath, this was not a flying column of men, beal na blath only had several men firing at Collins and his men.

Michael Collins is a distant relative of my friend's and a man I have a lot of respect for. He was a genius at urban warfare and unlike previous irish wars, there were no informers or very few for the British army this time, and made sure of that
    Last edited by EireEmerald; July 05, 2009 at 08:32 AM.

Comes Domesticorum

Teeheehee.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast