Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Military Scenes in Film History.

EireEmerald's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Greatest Military Scenes in Film History.

I am in love with this series HBO Romes Battle of philippi, Greece, Roman Civil War.

Makes me want a Rome 2 more than ever.

Default Re: Greatest Battle Scenes in Film History.

Are these series historically accurate ?

Quote Originally Posted by Eire_Emerald View Post
    I am in love with this series HBO Romes Battle of philippi, Greece, Roman Civil War.

Makes me want a Rome 2 more than ever.
    Wasn't all that chuffed with the battles in Rome. The battle in Gaul was actually quite disappointing, the Celts were some sort of mixture between Halstatt, merovingian and hobbit, and the whole battle scene just looked like an excuse to show "look! we read somewhere that the centurion blew a whistle and the first line got shifted!"

There were definitely too many "look! We cunningly wove ____ (trepanation, some ceremony...) into the plot!"

The battle of Philippi was a bit better, but I found it to be anticlimatic.

P.S.: Not to mention the "blue Spaniards", the completely unhistorical public execution of Vercingetorix, or the fact that Caesar didn't look like Caesar at all...

EireEmerald's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Carpathian warrior View Post
    Are these series historically accurate ?
    I was told by a Roman historian that it is the most accurate interperetation of ancient Rome on film.

Quote Originally Posted by Kleber View Post
    Wasn't all that chuffed with the battles in Rome. The battle in Gaul was actually quite disappointing, the Celts were some sort of mixture between Halstatt, merovingian and hobbit, and the whole battle scene just looked like an excuse to show "look! we read somewhere that the centurion blew a whistle and the first line got shifted!"

There were definitely too many "look! We cunningly wove ____ (trepanation, some ceremony...) into the plot!"

The battle of Philippi was a bit better, but I found it to be anticlimatic.

P.S.: Not to mention the "blue Spaniards", the completely unhistorical public execution of Vercingetorix, or the fact that Caesar didn't look like Caesar at all...
    Casting Irish men as Caesar is pretty funny really. What did Caesar actually look like then? and Octavian?

I was told by a Roman historian that it is the most accurate interperetation of ancient Rome on film.
    Here's a funny thing about Rome: the Romans were extremely superstitious, and they had a series of pre-established religion-based exclamations which varied according to the situation and the gravity; in no case were they blasphemous against their gods. There was this fellow, for instance, who committed a great blasphemy (can't remember which) which somehow entailed that the city would be destroyed; they threw him off a cliff and cringed in terror for the next few days...

So it truly shocked me when I started to hear "by Juno's cunny!" and such being thrown about with such nonchalance.

Casting Irish men as Caesar is pretty funny really. What did Caesar actually look like then? and Octavian?
    According to his famous bust and the coins, he was a rather bony fellow, with an aquiline nose, prominent cheekbones and a sleek, angulous face.

He certainly wasn't a droopy-eyed, plump-faced Ciarán Hinds

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Here's a funny thing about Rome: the Romans were extremely superstitious, and they had a series of pre-established religion-based exclamations which varied according to the situation and the gravity; in no case were they blasphemous against their gods. There was this fellow, for instance, who committed a great blasphemy (can't remember which) which somehow entailed that the city would be destroyed; they threw him off a cliff and cringed in terror for the next few days...

So it truly shocked me when I started to hear "by Juno's cunny!" and such being thrown about with such nonchalance.
    I just cannot agree. Let’s just remember Publius Claudius Pulcher and the chickens - clearly some Romans were willing to blaspheme and do it style too. If Pulcher had won the battle you can bet we would have never faced any consequences for his actions.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    I just cannot agree. Let’s just remember Publius Claudius Pulcher and the chickens - clearly some Romans were willing to blaspheme and do it style too. If Pulcher had won the battle you can bet we would have never faced any consequences for his actions.
    Indeed they did, but when they did, it was a big event, as it comes out in the chronicles! Furthermore, in Pulcher's tale, we have a Roman public clearly gloating at his blasphemy portraying him as a man with no virtus.

There is no doubt that the Romans did blaspheme, but certainly not to the extent portrayed in Rome!

Could you picture a community of Quakers who spend their day swearing by the bearded balls of God?

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

Only cause the star of the scene did this in real life.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

There is no doubt that the Romans did blaspheme, but certainly not to the extent portrayed in Rome!

Could you picture a community of Quakers who spend their day swearing by the bearded balls of God?
    The Romans were no Quakers. The problem is sources, one need simply compare something like curse tablets to Cicero - or Aristophanes to a stuffy aristocrat like Plato. Considering the kind of invocation one finds on lead curse tables I rather doubt profanity was all that uncommon. Certainly place and time is important - what is acceptable profanity in the army camp or the dockyard is not going to be bandied about the senate or the family table.

Only cause the star of the scene did this in real life.
    I thought he demanded episodes in the movie be modified because he thought those who had not been there would not find it believable.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    I thought he demanded episodes in the movie be modified because he thought those who had not been there would not find it believable.
    He did, but this scene matches his Medal of Honor Citation so its close. If not the star was even more badass in real life.
    Last edited by Farnan; June 18, 2009 at 12:43 PM.
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

vizi's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

A repeat thread.

Vercingetorix is played by an Italian
    I think most of the Gauls were played by Italians lol...

Obviously:

Passchendaele

Battle for Germania

gambit's Avatar Gorak

Quote Originally Posted by Kleber View Post
    Indeed they did, but when they did, it was a big event, as it comes out in the chronicles! Furthermore, in Pulcher's tale, we have a Roman public clearly gloating at his blasphemy portraying him as a man with no virtus.

You're pigeonholing every single Roman into some higher standard. Historical sources usually focus on the accepted social norms at the time, never the behind closed doors talk of less "civilized" men. Every society has its cutthroats, hooligans, potty mouths, or just people who dont follow the social norms.

Although I do agree, Rome took it to a high degree, thats good. Extreme is interesting, if they portrayed average people in average lives talking in average ways it'd be boring as hell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter S. Thompson
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you dont.. you're gonna have me on your hands

Lumina's Avatar Vicarius

Ahh where the nice ambush scene where Washington said the British General fellow was an idiot come from in Empire Total War, which is funny because Washington during the French/Indian war was actually the idiot officer. Of course Washington wasn't involved in this fictional battle, but the ambush scene is a near copy but insted of indians it's french soldiers doing the shooting on Empire.

Ahh before CGI cannon fodder moments. Poof of smoke and a dozen fall.

First World War Air Combat on The Red Baron. There is nothing better, even WWII is too fast and flashy and not nimble enough. Wooden nimble air planes with shot gun inaccurate machine guns is the way to go.
    Last edited by Lumina; June 18, 2009 at 06:37 PM.

"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
    -- Eddie Rickenbacker (1890-1973)

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey I of Leuven View Post

Battle for Germania

It's sad when the Germanic chieftain dies.
    Last edited by Pallantides; June 18, 2009 at 06:44 PM.

Lumina's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Pallantides View Post
    It's sad when the Germanic chieftain dies.

"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
    -- Eddie Rickenbacker (1890-1973)

Quote Originally Posted by Lumina View Post
    Ahh where the nice ambush scene where Washington said the British General fellow was an idiot come from in Empire Total War, which is funny because Washington during the French/Indian war was actually the idiot officer. Of course Washington wasn't involved in this fictional battle, but the ambush scene is a near copy but insted of indians it's french soldiers doing the shooting on Empire.
    Umm... Braddock was the officer in charge during that ambush, and it was French and Indian soldiers that attacked that column.

most epic battle scene ever

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-of-Aggression- An Age of Aggression- my Skyrim FF

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast