Thread: Family Tree

Default Family Tree

ok, i just bought this game on amazon and it is shipping to me now. should be here by the 24th or 25th. Im looking to see if anyone can give me a glimpse into what kind of detail MTW1 has regarding the dynasty/family tree stuff. i have RTW and M2TW. screenshots would be nice (possibly showing the options of different classes of family members, princesses, princes, heirs, stuff like that). can u kill your own family members? your ruler? your heir? without cheats and without putting them on a "cruise" of death? does it trace bloodlines? like if i marry my daughter to a prince of denmark or something will it show their children as my grandchildren? i just wanna know everything i can about the dynastical part of the game please.

Default Re: Family Tree

There isn't a family tree showing. Princesses are in the agents category, not sure about other royalty.
    It is actually possible to marry a princess to her brother, but if the Secret Incest bit on the character profile becomes just Incest, you're screwed.
    "The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise." Tacitus on Health & Safety
    "Abuse, if you slight it, will gradually die away; but if you show yourself irritated, you will be thought to have deserved it." Tacitus on trolling

Quote Originally Posted by Itachi Uchiha View Post
    Im looking to see if anyone can give me a glimpse into what kind of detail MTW1 has regarding the dynasty/family tree stuff. i have RTW and M2TW. screenshots would be nice (possibly showing the options of different classes of family members, princesses, princes, heirs, stuff like that).
    Well as Doge Vitale said, MTW doesn't really have a family "tree" per se, at least not like in the newer games. There is a parchment you can pull up which will display all males in direct line for the throne, and another parchment which displays all "agents" (including princesses), which serves some of the same functions.

can u kill your own family members? your ruler? your heir? without cheats and without putting them on a "cruise" of death?
    The answer is yes -- to all four questions.

You can employ assassins to kill your own family members, or -- if you want to get a little more creative -- you can have a Grand Inquisitor try them for heresy (they'll be burned at the stake if convicted). Of course, it's generally quite difficult to kill off your family members this way, but it's definitely possible.

does it trace bloodlines? like if i marry my daughter to a prince of denmark or something will it show their children as my grandchildren?
    Sadly, the game doesn't trace bloodlines in the way you're talking about, no. It *does* keep track of whether a princess is married into another faction (which is important because her husband could potentially lay claim to some of her original faction's lands), but that's about the extent of it.

However, there is one feature of MTW you might find interesting: Once a prince is no longer in the line of succession for the the throne -- which usually happens when his older brother becomes king, and then spawns an heir himself -- he becomes a "Prince of the Blood" (among MTW players, these are more commonly known as "royal uncles").

These royal uncles are essentially normal generals, but with one important caveat: Should your faction leader ever die without a direct heir, a civil war can ensue if you have 2 or more of these royal uncles running around. This can be a very useful tool if you have a weak king and want to get rid of him and introduce a new & stronger royal family....
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." - Pascal

I don't think its been mentioned, so it is worth pointing out that every unit in MTW has its own captain, and each one can gain traits, command stars, dread, etc. Only a select number of your generals will be royal. The majority will be 'commoners' or minor gentry. Captains of knightly units are more likely to have high command ratings at the start. A unit of peasants will rarely have a command star, whereas a unit of Feudal Knights will almost always have at least one.

There are also certain historical generals, like Tancred de Normandie for the English, or Henry the Lion for the Germans. These can appear with any unit you train in the right year, even peasants. You want to hope they'll emerge on a decent heavy cavalry unit, as they can become your best generals in the early game. There are also historical agents that emerge, Thomas Becket for example (priest, +3 piety) and Guy of Gisbourne (assassin, +5 skill).

You can marry a princess to one of your own generals and this will increase his loyalty, so there is less chance he will rebel, should civil war break out, or a bribery attempt is made. I think that this does mean he may now have a claim to the throne, so should be treated much as a royal uncle.
    Protein cores made in the rough endoplasmic reticulum are posttranslationally modified by glycosyltransferases in the Golgi apparatus, where GAG disaccharides are added to protein cores to yield proteoglycans; the exception is hyaluronan, which is uniquely synthesized without a protein core and is "spun out" by enzymes at cell surfaces directly into the extracellular space.

Quote Originally Posted by Andalus View Post
    You can marry a princess to one of your own generals and this will increase his loyalty, so there is less chance he will rebel, should civil war break out, or a bribery attempt is made. I think that this does mean he may now have a claim to the throne, so should be treated much as a royal uncle.
    Unfortunately, that last bit isn't really true. While it was indeed a long suspected/cherished tradition within the MTW "mythos", it's since been pretty thoroughly disproved that a general married to a princess becomes akin to a royal uncle. It's a nice idea, but it's not actually the case.

That said, however.... What you *can* do is deliberately drive down the loyalty of a married non-royal general, and use him to lead a general rebellion/civil war if you want to remove your current faction leader (assuming you choose to back the "rebels", of course). Assuming your rebellion is successful, you'll not only have a new faction leader with (presumably) much better stats than the old king, he'll also even be married -- and can therefore start churning out sons & daughters straight away.
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." - Pascal

Yeah, I wasn't sure about that as I hadn't really seen sign of it. Thanks for clearing it up.
    Protein cores made in the rough endoplasmic reticulum are posttranslationally modified by glycosyltransferases in the Golgi apparatus, where GAG disaccharides are added to protein cores to yield proteoglycans; the exception is hyaluronan, which is uniquely synthesized without a protein core and is "spun out" by enzymes at cell surfaces directly into the extracellular space.

thank you guys very much for your input. it seems tremendously fun indeed. i can't wait til i can play it for myself.