Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 32 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 787

Thread: SigniferOne's Animations Pack

  1. #121

    Default

    Mm, it's definately the mod. I restored my backup animations and changed all the Roman fs_s1_gladius skeletons back to fs_swordsman, and everything is back to normal. The non-modified units work normally again too...

    SigniferOne, it's a brilliant mod and it's unfortunate that a problem such as this makes the game unplayable (since nothing works in battle when they're all confused), because I did like the mod. I don't care for archers and never use them, and phalanxes look fine to me--but I absolutely loved the accurate Roman warfare, and I was pleased to see Roman styles differentiated for once. I hope you can find a fix for this problem soon.

    EDIT: Problem solved. I was a goofball and didn't upgrade to 1.2. Whoops.

    That meant, of course, that I had to painstakingly re-edit every single change I ever made to most of the game's files. Fortunately I've the benefit of hindsight and I already knew what to fix, so that's good.
    Last edited by Iaius Statius Laurentius; June 27, 2005 at 01:32 AM.

  2. #122

    Default

    i cant get thisd mod to work on SPQR for some sreson if set it up like you said but every time i enter a battle whith any of these units the game CTD.....
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

  3. #123
    Simetrical's Avatar Former Chief Technician
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    θ = π/0.6293, φ = π/1.293, ρ = 6,360 km
    Posts
    20,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SigniferOne
    EKG, nope 3feet maximum, most of the time less. Barbarians on the other hand did fight in a very loose formation, both because they lacked the discipline and other moral factors to maintain a cohesive order, and because their swords were very long, and thus only usable in a low-discipline, low-order very loose formation.The sizes of the swords are in inverse relation to the discipline of the troops involved, and the closeness of order in which they fought.
    Polybius disagrees.
    Now in the case of the Romans also each soldier with his arms occupies a space of three [Roman] feet in breadth . . . each man must be at a distance of at least three [Roman] feet from the man next him in the same rank and those in front of and behind him, if they are to be of proper use.
    Polybius, Histories. Book 18, Chapter 29 (online at LacusCurtius).

    -Simetrical
    MediaWiki developer, TWC Chief Technician
    NetHack player (nao info)


    Risen from Prey

  4. #124
    Opifex
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    New York, USA
    Posts
    15,153

    Default

    Gaius Statius, whew... goofball indeed! I was starting to get concerned...

    Captain Marcus, you will have more chance asking about this in SPQR's thread, because I'm not too familiar with each mod's configuration. I have heard that SPQR makes some anims modifications itself, which may cause the problem you're having.

    Simetrical,

    First off as far as I know, the Roman foot was shorter than the modern foot. Secondly, Polybius says that the legionary, like the phalangite, occupies 3 feet in breadth himself, which is way shorter than the modern foot. Thirdly, exactly as I said, "each men must keep 3 feet of distance from the man next to him", not 6 feet as EKG said. However, after reading Polybius' passage I see that they were even closer-ordered than before, because even the 3 feet distance apart that they had was measured by a shorter foot than I thought originally. So I'm not sure where your argument lies in. Basically Polybius says that each Roman soldier has a Roman foot and a half of space on each side, to do some manoevering and dodging and combat. That is adequate space for the task, but in absolute terms not that much space at all!


    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty,
    the tranquility of servitude greater than
    the animating contest for freedom, go
    home from us in peace. We seek not
    your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch
    down and lick the hand that feeds you,
    and may posterity forget that ye were
    our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

  5. #125

    Default

    ey-a Signifer, can i have permission to use ur barb sword animation (the swinging one) for a mini mod of mine to create a single unit of thracian macemen? the barb animation works well (better than fs_swordsman), cause no one ever stabs with a mace, and the barb sword is a slashing animation. however, since i am not good with animating, i will need to include ur intire latest version in the mod, since i do not know wat exactly to copy and paste for only the barb animation.

  6. #126
    Simetrical's Avatar Former Chief Technician
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    θ = π/0.6293, φ = π/1.293, ρ = 6,360 km
    Posts
    20,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SigniferOne
    First off as far as I know, the Roman foot was shorter than the modern foot.
    Only slightly (insert standard Wikipedia disclaimer here).

    Quote Originally Posted by SigniferOne
    . . . exactly as I said, "each men must keep 3 feet of distance from the man next to him", not 6 feet as EKG said.
    Ah, well, there are two ways of measuring. Either you measure from each man's right shoulder to the left shoulder of the one to his right (exclusive measurement), or you measure from one man's right shoulder to the next man's right shoulder (inclusive measurement). By the former measurement, the distance is three feet, as you said; by the latter, it's six feet. I don't know which one EKG meant—I had assumed you were both talking inclusively, but clearly you at least weren't.

    -Simetrical
    MediaWiki developer, TWC Chief Technician
    NetHack player (nao info)


    Risen from Prey

  7. #127

    Default

    Excellent jumping animation sig. I'm glad you took my idea into account. :wink:


    "In the time of battle the loss of innocent life is inevatiable... thats just fate"
    - Gatts, the Black Swordsman

  8. #128

    Default

    Cavalry seem to get the occasional flutter when charging, but everyone else seems okay.

  9. #129

    Default

    According to Dupuy&Dupuy's military history book, each soldier circa second Punic war had about a six foot diameter circle. Excepting velites probably, I don't have the book with me right now so I don't know... I would be willing to accept the fact that throughout over 500 years there is going to be a hell of a lot of change, so... who knows?

    Does anyone know how much the armour and shield in that animation weigh, in addition to the shield and helmet?

    Lorica Segmentata: 17 pounds 6 ounces, this is the armour used by 2nd century AD legionaries
    Scutum: 12 pounds, this was the shield those same legionaries generally used, the one from the Punic wars was around 22 pounds.
    The helmet generally weighed 4-5 pounds.

    In addition to the different kinds of belts, dagger and sword...

    Now I understand that this would not be the soldier in your pic, but don't all the Romans jump in that?

    My point is would they really be jumping 3 feet in the air?

    BTW in the gladius animation is the sword edge up and down or left to right? I believe they used it horizontally to slip in between the ribs. I do agree that slashing/chopping was almost certainly very rare with the gladius, and I'm glad you made an animation to reflect that. Also big thanks for the hoplite animations, they truly are fantastic!!

  10. #130
    Opifex
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    New York, USA
    Posts
    15,153

    Default

    I have been working on some speeds for different animals. There will be a new heavy horse skeleton, which will be approximately twice as slow as fs_fast_horse, and will be REALLY slow in general on tha battlefield. It will, however, still charge right before the engagement as fast as it did before, only the general running movement speed has been decreased. The following pic illustrates the relative speeds of fs_fast_horse, fs_horse, and the new heavy horse skeleton:


    Question: what's unusual about the following pic?


    "If ye love wealth greater than liberty,
    the tranquility of servitude greater than
    the animating contest for freedom, go
    home from us in peace. We seek not
    your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch
    down and lick the hand that feeds you,
    and may posterity forget that ye were
    our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

  11. #131

    Default

    Either Parthian elephants or the fact that there are javelinmen on top of them...

    I swear to god if those elephants can use cantabrian circle...

  12. #132

    Default

    I swear that there are Javelin Men on the Elephants not Archers?

    Am I right

  13. #133
    Trajan's Avatar Capodecina
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Caesar
    I swear that there are Javelin Men on the Elephants not Archers?

    Am I right
    In some accounts there were archers and in other accounts there were javelin throwers.


    Edit:

    I seem to be having problems with the elephant archer riders. They never fire their arrows while moving. Could this be a problem with the 0.65 animation mod?
    Last edited by Trajan; June 28, 2005 at 05:00 AM.

  14. #134
    Simetrical's Avatar Former Chief Technician
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    θ = π/0.6293, φ = π/1.293, ρ = 6,360 km
    Posts
    20,161

    Default

    No, that's sadly a bug with 1.2.

    -Simetrical
    MediaWiki developer, TWC Chief Technician
    NetHack player (nao info)


    Risen from Prey

  15. #135
    Trajan's Avatar Capodecina
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simetrical
    No, that's sadly a bug with 1.2.

    -Simetrical
    Damn, just when I was getting into my Seleucian campaign. So the elephant archer bug is not fixable?

  16. #136
    maximusminimus's Avatar Biarchus
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Lisboa, Portugal
    Posts
    668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simetrical
    No, that's sadly a bug with 1.2.

    -Simetrical
    No it's not Simetrical, that 1.2 bug only afects horse mounted archers, not the elephants.



    This is the default animation, not Sig's one.

    @ Signifer:
    Very nice Sig, finaly we're going to have javeliners on the elephants!
    Last edited by maximusminimus; June 28, 2005 at 06:12 AM.

    Download V. 1.0 here
    Discussion and updates here

  17. #137
    Trajan's Avatar Capodecina
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maximusminimus
    No it's not Simetrical, that 1.2 bug only afects horse mounted archers, not the elephants.



    This is the default animation, not Sig's one.
    Is there a way to fix my problem?

  18. #138
    maximusminimus's Avatar Biarchus
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Lisboa, Portugal
    Posts
    668

    Default

    @ Trajan:

    Maybe revert to the vanilla animation for the archers?

    Download V. 1.0 here
    Discussion and updates here

  19. #139
    Trajan's Avatar Capodecina
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maximusminimus
    @ Trajan:

    Maybe revert to the vanilla animation for the archers?
    If you're talking about the vanilla 1.2 animation, then I allready did and it's the same thing. If I can't fix this problem than I'll probably have to wait for SigniferOne releases his new animation pack with the elephant javelin crew.

  20. #140
    Simetrical's Avatar Former Chief Technician
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    θ = π/0.6293, φ = π/1.293, ρ = 6,360 km
    Posts
    20,161

    Default

    As I said, to my knowledge the issue is a bug with the 1.2 patch. I have observed it firsthand in games with unmodded animations. The archers generally fire about once, when the elephant starts to move, and that's it.

    -Simetrical
    MediaWiki developer, TWC Chief Technician
    NetHack player (nao info)


    Risen from Prey

Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 32 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •