Thread: Too cool to be true

Default Too cool to be true

Every morning thousands of RS fans wake up and turn on their computers and go to twcenter.net to see whats up with RS but then... its still not ready

RS 2 is clearly one of the most anticipated (if not the most) mods for rome total war. What are the players doing about this though? Well some players went and bought Empire total war to make the time fly and get to play RS2 already (Guilty myself). But the ETW beta was a disaster and well... its back to rs 1.5 hehe. Others just hang out in the forums trying to convince the team to release RS2 earlier lol hey theres nothing wrong with that....because the RS team will not pull a CA on us. No,they have worked so hard on this mod and use all of this fan pressure (hehe ill call it that) to get that RS2 ready completely, NOT unfinished.

To the RS team: Thank you for so many hours of fun with Roma Surrectum. Thanks for the countless hours you have spent modding, hours you have put there out of your personal time!

Also whennever RS2 is finished you guys need a serious break to lay back a bit and play the mod yourselves, so you can truly enjoy the mod like the rest of us and show us your empires! Oh and dont post too many non roman empires cause like....no one wants to see those you know? jk lol

Douchebag's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Too cool to be true

long live RS2

Hi Gents!
    We from Rs have received another update.
    And i must say things are running very smoothly!
    Still there are much to do, but let it be known that we are working on this from different sides of the world 24 7!
    Someone is always working on it!
    And we are getting closer!!
    Hang in there!

Roma Surrectum Greek/Spartan Researcher/Tester.

WOOT!

Yeah, we're doing some tuning of the campaign and unit stats/costs at the moment, but it's looking like it'll be a lot of fun and a big challenge whatever faction you play.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

Kylan271's Avatar Domesticus

Rather some slight delay to iron out bugs than get a version early that crashes,so I am happy to wait so to get the best enjoyment from it. Appreciated the work regardless of time delay..hmmm this Saturday huh???? ^_*

Err no. There's still a good amount of work to do.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

cnaeus's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by tone View Post
    Yeah, we're doing some tuning of the campaign and unit stats/costs at the moment, but it's looking like it'll be a lot of fun and a big challenge whatever faction you play.
    challanging you say?..not like in 1.5 that even when playing on vh/vh you can lay back and relax??(well...thats what i do atleast)

also: keep it up, RS2 is gonna be great, im sure of it.

cnaeus,

Challange Macedon, and die trying

No not like 1.5.

Basically this time a lot of work is going into balance - unit balance for custom battles, campaign balance, plus some nasty surprises just if you start getting too cocky and think "This is a breeze"

At the moment my sole focus is on unit stats and costs, tweaking and tweaking things to make sure that all is well balanced on medium difficulty so that hard should prove to be just that. Autoresolve issues have been addressed, costs are being tweaked to make sure that every faction is capable of recruiting a good mixture of strong units, so that the balance we're getting in custom battles is replicated when it comes to campaigns. At the moment I'm running AI campaign after AI campaign to ensure that this happens, and handing the tweaks onto beta testers.

If that doesn't prove to be sufficient then we have some surprises in store, and if that isn't enough then I'll be providing custom faction-specific EDU files to cripple the player further if they really need it.

Ultimately though there's no counter to the player spamming all elite units and there'll probably have to be some house rules.

So the question really is: how much challenge do people want?

Again a little plug for beta testing. Those of you who want a real challenge can be part of shaping the final product to make sure it really does deliver what you want. I think we've got to the point now where the beta is becoming much more representative of what the final mod will feel like. There are still some balance issues and some other scripting stuff and leadership systems to do, some graphics tweaks, unit and buildings descriptions and so on, but it's really starting to feel way more polished.

In fact some seasoned SPQR players would be welcome as beta testers. Come and create the challenge of all challenges!
    Last edited by tone; June 18, 2009 at 02:48 AM.

cnaeus's Avatar Centenarius

well...im a seasoned SPQR player...but i dont know allot about modding myself..i've done some tweaking and some tekstfile editing to personolise my game...but thats it...do you need more beta testers??

cnaeus,

Challange Macedon, and die trying

You don't need to know anything about modding to beta test.
    All that's required is to be able to play, observe and report what you find, as well as make suggestions for improvement.
    Yes we do need more testers.

Yes beta testing is important but before beta testing we must understand a couple of points.

RS has been a success, its one of the most popular mods out there including the genius legionary system, huge beautiful map, recruiting Generals-Governors etc. Now we know of course that the issue many players have with RS is the difficulty. Now I'm pretty sure its basically impossible to satisfy EVERY player out there with a specific setting. The AI i not a human and players have different taste when it comes to difficulty. But what can we still do? The RS can consider a similar SPQR battle AI with alexander exe being optional of course lol and well what makes SPQR challenging as well is the whole fact that you have so many battles and so many enemies that losing is just not an option. in RS (which I assume will start around the second punic war?) should face mighty hannibal. Most of us are history fans and we know that hannibal was never defeated in Italy, so as for a challenge I say we make hannibals army very well experienced and roman starting troops with no experience. This will make the campaign interesting from the beginning!

Another thing is the strategy diffculty. The secret here is to make the player have to make decisions. Do I build the mines in X settlement and get my troops cutting edge technology against Carthage? Or do I increase my education so my family members have a better understanding of warfare? Do I raise the Legio Ferrata or wait until Germina gets home? If the players have to strategize, the game will be challenging, and we are having fun.

Money is the key. High Upkeep for the legions, high distance to capital penalties so that some settlements rebel against the player every now and then, like Hispania, it was very hard to keep peace there. I have a suggestion about this. All regions well pretty much known for something. Italy has the advantage of 0 distance to capital, Greece with commerce and trade, Egypt with its grain. Now as for the west, Hispania and Gaul should be more of a burden to the player with both distance to capital, culture penalties and income combined. But then this is not a rome only mod so we have to keep it balanced for all factions to be equally fun. Im not a modder myself and those are just my suggestions to make the game a bit more challenging. Just make the player have to work on the economy and mantaining it.

All of those are very good points and ones which we have or are addressing.

The opening battle with Hannibal is set up to be extremely difficult....pretty much a guaranteed defeat. As you say, Hannibal's army has experience, Rome none.

All sorts of interesting stuff is being done with building trees.

Rebellions are going to be a big feature of RS2, and will be tough to deal with as Rome.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cnaeus View Post
    challanging you say?..not like in 1.5 that even when playing on vh/vh you can lay back and relax??(well...thats what i do atleast)

also: keep it up, RS2 is gonna be great, im sure of it.

cnaeus,
    Well, RS1.5 (and probably RS2 as well) are not designed to be played on anything other than H/H and H/VH as it actually makes the game significantly easier if you do. It's on the information building's info screen.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Herr Lindstrom's Avatar Semisalis

I wouldn't mind being a Beta tester. What sort of Criteria would I need to fill out coz I'm still in many respects Beta Testing European Wars. though KLA has failed to send an up to date file for me to look through and find bugs, so in other words I have loads of free time to look through your mod, also I'd like to see how well an obsolete computer such as mine is able to handle RS2.

chaney's Avatar Decanus

RIP Calvin

I found Rome a city of bricks and left it a city of marble
    . - Augustus Caeser

“It is not sufficient that I suceed - all others must fail.” - Genghis Khan

Quote Originally Posted by RS Fanboy View Post
    Every morning thousands of RS fans wake up and turn on their computers and go to twcenter.net to see whats up with RS but then... its still not ready

RS 2 is clearly one of the most anticipated (if not the most) mods for rome total war. What are the players doing about this though? Well some players went and bought Empire total war to make the time fly and get to play RS2 already (Guilty myself). But the ETW beta was a disaster and well... its back to rs 1.5 hehe. Others just hang out in the forums trying to convince the team to release RS2 earlier lol hey theres nothing wrong with that....because the RS team will not pull a CA on us. No,they have worked so hard on this mod and use all of this fan pressure (hehe ill call it that) to get that RS2 ready completely, NOT unfinished.

To the RS team: Thank you for so many hours of fun with Roma Surrectum. Thanks for the countless hours you have spent modding, hours you have put there out of your personal time!

Also whennever RS2 is finished you guys need a serious break to lay back a bit and play the mod yourselves, so you can truly enjoy the mod like the rest of us and show us your empires! Oh and dont post too many non roman empires cause like....no one wants to see those you know? jk lol
    You took the words right out of my mouth.

RS Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by RS Fanboy View Post
    Yes beta testing is important but before beta testing we must understand a couple of points.

RS has been a success, its one of the most popular mods out there including the genius legionary system, huge beautiful map, recruiting Generals-Governors etc. Now we know of course that the issue many players have with RS is the difficulty. Now I'm pretty sure its basically impossible to satisfy EVERY player out there with a specific setting. The AI i not a human and players have different taste when it comes to difficulty. But what can we still do? The RS can consider a similar SPQR battle AI with alexander exe being optional of course lol and well what makes SPQR challenging as well is the whole fact that you have so many battles and so many enemies that losing is just not an option. in RS (which I assume will start around the second punic war?) should face mighty hannibal. Most of us are history fans and we know that hannibal was never defeated in Italy, so as for a challenge I say we make hannibals army very well experienced and roman starting troops with no experience. This will make the campaign interesting from the beginning!

Another thing is the strategy diffculty. The secret here is to make the player have to make decisions. Do I build the mines in X settlement and get my troops cutting edge technology against Carthage? Or do I increase my education so my family members have a better understanding of warfare? Do I raise the Legio Ferrata or wait until Germina gets home? If the players have to strategize, the game will be challenging, and we are having fun.

Money is the key. High Upkeep for the legions, high distance to capital penalties so that some settlements rebel against the player every now and then, like Hispania, it was very hard to keep peace there. I have a suggestion about this. All regions well pretty much known for something. Italy has the advantage of 0 distance to capital, Greece with commerce and trade, Egypt with its grain. Now as for the west, Hispania and Gaul should be more of a burden to the player with both distance to capital, culture penalties and income combined. But then this is not a rome only mod so we have to keep it balanced for all factions to be equally fun. Im not a modder myself and those are just my suggestions to make the game a bit more challenging. Just make the player have to work on the economy and mantaining it.
    good points but PLEASE dont make spain and gaul harder to hold. im already having full garrisons being pushed out of citys in gaul all the time by revolts, even with low taxes and games everyday.
    Roma Surrectum Fanatics. Click HERE to Join Us!!!
    Death is light as a feather, Duty heavier then a mountain

Quote Originally Posted by |Sith|Duke_Spartacus View Post
    good points but PLEASE dont make spain and gaul harder to hold. im already having full garrisons being pushed out of citys in gaul all the time by revolts, even with low taxes and games everyday.
    LOL hey man they are barbarians after all... Put them to the sword like a good Roman would!

i disagree with the lower PO thing. a settlement that just got exterminated wouldnt likely rebel against their conqueror, even less likely if the conqueror has exterminated the settlement multiple times. its stupid that a settlement would rebel so brainlessly even if you have full garrison in those cities. in most campaigns i have to cheat to build more PO buildings instantly even though ive exterminated the city more than 1 time. if i dont cheat then the city revolts before the buildings are even built and i just get annoyed.

RTW is about war not reconquering settlements that have revolted for the 5th time in a row even though youve exterminated them a couple of times. i think its more important to raise PO for the sake of fun and anti frustration rather than have revolting settlements that are realistic but are annoying as hell.