Thread: Why is my computer beeping at me?

Default Why is my computer beeping at me?

Okay, I doubt anyone remembers, but a while ago I was posting here when Cyberpower shipped me a computer that didn't work and I was looking to solve the problem. Well, now Cyberpower has shipped me a fresh one and it works fine except for this one issue. I highly suggest never ordering from Cyberpower, even though their computers come with the same parts and are a few hundred dollars cheaper than say a Dell. Build it yourself or let the professional professionals do it. Customer service was horrible and here's another problem I'm having.

It is beeping. I was playing Half Life 2 and all of a sudden it started beeping really loudly and then would stop. I restarted after it happened like 5 times and now it just won't stop beeping. It doesn't beep as loudly or as quickly, but it won't stop either.

Someone suggesting overheating warning beeps which seems likely but I haven't done any OC'ing. All the fans are on and running properly, I even have an extra fan plugged in behind my computer.

Any help would be appreciated, because there's no way I could sleep with this and I usually keep my computer on at night. Plus it's generally annoying.

My specs:

X850 XT PCI-E 256 MB
    FoxConn Winfast NF4UK8AA
    1 Gig Corsair XmS Pro 3200 DDR Ram
    AMD Athlon 3200+

I would suggest overheating warning beeps.
    Go into your Bios -> PC Health (or something) and see what is going on. It might be that the fan speed it too low, not connected, or is connected but the speed isn't being picked up by the CPU. Possibly the CPU is too hot - maybe those professionals forgot to use thermal paste or something. Anyway - you should be able to find out there. If everything is fine and you can see the fans all running properly then just disable the offending warning beep.

Its a heating problem for sure
    get a better CPU fan or a water cooling system.

Thanks guys. Could someone tell me how to access my Bios?

Nevermind, I just got into it and it said CPU fan speed= 0.

Is that normal?
    Last edited by BeastG33; June 05, 2005 at 08:37 PM.

Pent uP Rage's Avatar Tech *********

Nevermind, I just got into it and it said CPU fan speed= 0.
    No that's NOT normal unless there's nothing hooked up. If the fan on the cpu isn't spinning(make sure it's connected first ) theres your problem
    More than likely, IF everything is connected properly, that your cpu HSF(heatsink) isn't making proper contact with the cpu die. This can raise temps as much as 20-30C at the cpu. Enough to make your alarms go off.

If the fan works but you still get the beeps, I'd take the HSF off(if you have thermal paste handy) and reseat it. And I'd lap it too, but that's just me...

under the patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, son of the Black Prince
    Before you post, see if your question has already been answered
    here

Sidus Preclarum's Avatar Honnête Homme.

overheating, no doubt. Better fix that fan or add paste before your CPU meltdowns and fuses to the motherboard :-/

Rolanbek's Avatar Malevolent Revenent
    Citizen

Better get that fan plugged in, or replaced and quick or bye-bye chip and motherboard.

(I surprised you haven't tripped the thermal safties Yet?)

R
    November 06, 2006 02:10 PM If I knew you were going to populate the Curia with cheapshots, you never would have gotten promoted. - Anon

Love mail from when Rep came with daggers to stab you...
    Join the Curia, loudmouths spewing bile for your entertainment.
    Contents:Sirloin of deceased Equine, your choice of hot or cold revenge, All served on a bed of barrel shavings. may contain nuts

Ardeur's Avatar Chattering in Chinese

Listen to these guys, all good advice. Get yourself some Arctic Silver.

Also, I once had a mobo where the CPU Fan sensor was shorted out. The fan ran, but the BIOS said the fan speed was Zero and that the temperature was over 90 degrees! And yet the system ran fine. All the tests I could do came up normal, except the BIOS was reporting invalid data. Replacing the Mobo did the trick. May also try updating the BIOS.

In other cases where there is beeping but no apparent problems, listen for a pattern to the beep, and then go to the MOBO manufacturer's knowledge base and search for an explanation of beep patterns.

Okay guys thanks for all the advice. Sorry to revive a long deceased topic, but after the beeps stopped for awhile, I concluded that because the temperature in my room was so high, the computer heated up as well. Well now it's very cool (I bought a room air conditioner) and for some reason the computer is at it again. It's been weeks since I heard the beeps, yet they're back.

I did search for what the beeps meant, and I have determined that High freq. beeps (while running) means that the CPU is overheating. However, my CPU temp is only 32.8 degrees Celcius. The fan speed is 2700 as well.

Everything is hooked up right and working correctly. The processor is set fine, and there is no way I'm buying a new mobo or sending this $1500 piece of malfunctioning crap (I've had other problems) back to Cyberpower a third time. Since there seems to be nothing wrong, and I don't plan on doing any OC'ing that could cause potential overheating, I'm wondering if it's possible to just disable the beeps?

Thanks guys.

Pent uP Rage's Avatar Tech *********

Could be a malfunctioning temp sensor on the motherboard.
    You paid $1500 for a PC....You have EVERY right to have a fully functioning PC.
    If Cyberpower isn't willing to replace the motherboard, I'd file a complaint with BBB .

under the patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, son of the Black Prince
    Before you post, see if your question has already been answered
    here

Please. Cyberpower already replaced the motherboard once. When I got the PC, it wouldn't even boot up. Not to mention the malfunctioning sound card that I just removed.

And the LCD temp display on the front of the case? Couldn't be turned on for a few weeks, now it's randomly working again.

I HAVE TO DISABLE THESE BEEPS. Please, is there anyway to do so in my BIOS or Control Panel or something? I read about removing the speaker that makes the beeps from my case. Can that be done?

Look. There are some problems with your PC. The beeps are coming, because it is a warning. You could disconnect the internal speaker (attached to the motherboard with a small plug), but i still think you have other problems. See your BIOS and READ the descriptions of each functions. Some motherboard BIOS- es have functions such as setting the alarm at a specific temperature and/or detecting a low speed system fan or cpu fan. You need to check if you have any controll over those and see what is setting off the beeping. It could be more than one problem.

ohh, and thanks, I add Cyberpower to my "don't buy a thing from them" list.

Okay. I'm going to look at the BIOS more closely, though I have already been through them all more than once. Everything appears normal, and according to the temp display and fan meter on the front, the fans and temperatures of all the devices are working just fine.

Since so far nothing has actually happened, I can only say that there is a problem with the motherboard's sensors or something along those lines.

NEVER buy from Cyberpower. It was a horrible mistake. I could have gotten the same computer from Dell for about $500 more, but I suppose it would have been worth it to avoid this aggravation.

Is 31.6 Degrees Celsius not a normal temp for a processor?
    Last edited by BeastG33; June 19, 2005 at 06:22 PM.

Sidus Preclarum's Avatar Honnête Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastG33
    Is 31.6 Degrees Celsius not a normal temp for a processor?
    for an AMD proc ?
    I'd say it is very low !

Civitate

31.6 is pretty low, mabye too low. Try touching the heatsink to see how hot it is. If it's too hot too touch then it definetely is not 31.6. If the heatsink is warm and not too hot try turning off the motherboards heat sensor throught the BIOS. Just be careful though.
    "In bourgeois society capital is independent and has individuality, while the living person is dependent and has no individuality." - Karl Marx on Capitalism
    Under the patronage of the venerable Marshal Qin. Proud member of the house of Sybian.

Proud member of the Australian-New Zealand Beer Appreciation Society (ANZBAS)

the cpu temp is now 33.6 degrees celsius. i touched it in the case (i'm getting mighty tired of removing this damn xblade case with the screws) and the heatsink was very, very cool.

but the computer has stopped beeping for no apparent reason again. i turned it off for the night like i had done the past 2 nights and when i turned it on in the morning, no more beeps.

Erik's Avatar Dux Limitis

IIRC there is a way to set the temperature at which you get warning beeps.
    Maybe this is set to an extremely low value?

Or maybe it's a virus warning?
    My BIOS has an option for virus protection, but I don't know if it's supposed to beep.

If I were in your place I would have ripped out the PC-speaker a long time ago (who needs it anyways?).
    I can't stand beeps.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidus Preclarum
    for an AMD proc ?
    I'd say it is very low !

Hey, a little off-topic, but not worth starting a whole new thread for. Anyway, what are safe or typical temps for an AMD CPU? I have a 3700+ San Diego core unclocked that likes to run at 40 - 43 C on light loads and up to 45 - 49 C on heavy loads (rarely 49). I have a hot room during the summer which I'm sure doesn't help much. I alread know I'll have to go water cooling if I choose to overclock in the future.

It's angry at you.
    Try appeasing it by sacrificing a goat.

It has digital tourette syndrome, maybe you should install norton?

J/K, definetely does sound like overheating...