Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hobbit Casting confirmed

B5C's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Hobbit Casting confirmed

Del Toro confirms Hobbit casting

3 days ago

Sir Ian McKellen, Hugo Weaving and Andy Serkis will all be appearing in the new film version of The Hobbit, director Guillermo del Toro has confirmed.

"(They are back) in the roles from the original (Lord of the Rings) trilogy," the Mexican director told Simon Mayo on his BBC radio show.

Andy played hobbit Gollum, Sir Ian, Gandalf, and Hugo appeared as elf Elrond in the original films, directed by Peter Jackson, who takes on a producer role for The Hobbit.

"Peter Jackson has been incredibly gracious, and respectful," said Guillermo.

"He understands we're going back to that universe but it's to a different director. He is celebrating those changes of sensibilities in a gleeful way with me. We are just two geeks having an incredibly great time."

The director confirmed he would be making two movies in New Zealand from the original novel by J. R.R.Tolkien.

"Two films are going to serve the one book," he said. "I feel like a shorter version you would have had to eliminate a few of the things, as a reader, I would consider iconic.

I am trying to preserve the set pieces I consider essential to the book."

The first Hobbit film is slated to be in cinemas at the end of 2011.
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukp...gjfllVibN0rSEw
    Also there are tidbits about the second movie. The Second movie is going to be about the Necromancer who lives in Dur Guldur.

“Nothing could be more dangerous to the existence of this Republic than to introduce religion into politics”

EireEmerald's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Hobbit Casting confirmed

Who is playing Bilbo?

Cool and nice, can't wait until the movie comes out! But I think it will not be better then the 3 lord of the rings movies.

I think in it is gonna be alot of humor.
    One of the few to still have his first avatar in place here on TWC.
    I sometimes miss this place you know. This is where my journey began.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0903624/ This will give you the info you need.
    One of the few to still have his first avatar in place here on TWC.
    I sometimes miss this place you know. This is where my journey began.

Thought the second movie is going to be The Hobbit aswell? Del Toro said he is going to make The Hobbit into two movies so he dosn't leave anything out of The Hobbit like they did with The Lord Of The Rings (Tom Bombadil). Also theres been many rumours of who is going to play Bilbo from James MacAvoy to Colin Firth, guess we shouldn't have to wait all that long now lol to hear who they've got for the rest of the film.

Thanx
    Raradir

EireEmerald's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

James McAvoy would be amazing in the role.

I love James McAvoy...

And don't Guillermo and Jackson look alike?
    But mark me well; Religion is my name;
    An angel once: but now a fury grown,
    Too often talked of, but too little known.

-Jonathan Swift

"There's only a few things I'd actually kill for: revenge, jewelry, Father O'Malley's weedwacker..."
    -Bender (Futurama) awesome

Universal truth is not measured in mass appeal.
    -Immortal Technique

Manoflooks's Avatar Senator

i've always wondered. Are the people that play hobbits in lotr actually midgets, or is like a computer effect or something?
    Men plan.

Fatelaughs.

See my AAR, From Kingdom to Empire-An Ottoman AAR

Jagdpanzer's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Manoflooks View Post
    i've always wondered. Are the people that play hobbits in lotr actually midgets, or is like a computer effect or something?
    It's a computer effect.

gambit's Avatar Gorak

I like the idea of two movies for one book to get as much content as possible, hope it does well.

Also

<3 <3 <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter S. Thompson
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you dont.. you're gonna have me on your hands

vizi's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

del Toro is by far the superior director. I did enjoy Peter Jackson's early work though. But on a whole, not as good as del Toro's complete body of work.

They use a bit of both to answer your question, also hounstly I actually think Colin Firth would make a good Bilbo Baggins, and thats coming from like the biggest fan of LOTR

Devil_Dog's Avatar Libertus

I don't think I could watch it if it was Colin Firth as Bilbo.If they use Sir Ian Holm again I'd be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by The red knight View Post
    It's a computer effect.
    Actually, it's a number of effects - CGI, forced perspective, midgets, dummies etc. There's a whole section of the "Making Of" documentaries for FOTR's extended edition DVDs that details how they used all these techniques, sometimes several of them in the same sequence, to create the illusion that the hobbits were 3-4 feet tall.

Quote Originally Posted by Raradir
    Thought the second movie is going to be The Hobbit aswell?
    Apparently so. Which is weird, because there's barely enough story in the book to fill one film. I have no idea where they would break the story for the end of the first one or how they would do so without the first one being pretty anti-climactic.

Smells like greed to me ...

Quote Originally Posted by ThiudareiksGunthigg View Post
    Apparently so. Which is weird, because there's barely enough story in the book to fill one film. I have no idea where they would break the story for the end of the first one or how they would do so without the first one being pretty anti-climactic.

Smells like greed to me ...
    I can't disagree enough. Firstly, Jackson is such a massive fan of the lore and books that it is impossible to assert he would stay on the project if it was going to try to milk the LOTR cow for all it's got. If it didn't need two movies, Jackson wouldn't give it two movies. I read an interview in Empire a while ago, may root it out if I feel like it later, but the gist was you simply can't get it all in one movie, unless that one movie is around 4 hours long. He wanted to focus on the dwarves much more than most have in the past, as they are a massive vein running through the book, and are often looked over more than they deserve to be.

Rhaegar1's Avatar Campidoctor

O come one! making 2 movies out of one book that is perfect for one movie (sorry no time to read other reactions)

The hobbit has it all to make a movie that completely does justice to the book and still is fast paced and deep enough to make for a perfect movie. Enough action, humour and interesting characters through the book and a great climatic battle in the end where everyone with a fetish for bombastic CGI (peter jackson) could have a good time.

I say this is just grabbing as much money out of it as they can. I can tell allready we will now have to do with 2 decent movies of which one has no ending, the other consists of only one montrously big battle and both are to slow paced instead of one uber fantastic movie that blows us away
    'I'll be damned ' Marcellus Wallis

Quote Originally Posted by Devil_Dog View Post
    I don't think I could watch it if it was Colin Firth as Bilbo.If they use Sir Ian Holm again I'd be happy.
    The man is almost 78 and you want him to play the younger version of his LotR character?

Lord of Lost Socks's Avatar Primicerius

Some are computer effects, but according to the extra material on the DVD a lot of it is just camera angles. For example in the beginning of the first movie when Frodo and Gandalf sit on Gandalfs cart, Frodo is actually sitting a lot further from the camera than what it looks like, an optical illusion, you might say.

“The human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice.”

Die his hair, give him botox/facelift and be done with it

Centenarius

Others have already answered this question, but I'd like to comment that to me it's strange that one has to ask the question at all. I watched the triology again over the past few weeks, and to me the points when they are using children for the hobbits, or they are pasted into the scene by CGI, are painfully obvious.

As for the hobbit, I'm still uneasy about this two film business, although it has been a long time since I've read the book.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast