Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [ETW AAR] Hurons on the War Path

Big Pacha's Avatar Campidoctor

Default [ETW AAR] Hurons on the War Path

Hurons on the War Path

From my early Huron campaign using All Faction Unlocked NoFoW (with VC) minimod.

Prologue: Wendat, the Huron Way

From Wiki. The earliest written accounts of the Huron were made by the French, who began exploring North America in the 16th century. News of the newcomers reached the Huron, particularly when Samuel de Champlain explored the Saint Lawrence River in the early 1600s. Some Hurons decided to go and meet the Europeans for themselves. Atironta, the principal headman of the Arendarhonon tribe, went to Quebec and made an alliance with the French in 1609.

Before the French arrived, the Huron had already been in conflict with the Iroquois to the south. Once the European powers became involved, this conflict intensified significantly. The French allied with the Huron, because they were the most advanced trading nation at the time.The Iroquois tended to ally with the English, who took advantage of their hatred of the Huron and their new French allies.

The introduction of European weapons increased the severity of wars, and, by about 1650, the Iroquois had almost completely destroyed the Huron tribes. The Jesuit mission of Sainte-Marie among the Hurons, near modern Midland, Ontario, was one focus of Iroquois attacks.

So here Our People settled, in Sainte-Marie as the Black Robes called it. We have been expelled from our lands of Michigan and Ohio by the Iroquois scum, the ones the Redcoats call Mohawks. May the Great Spirit devour their rotten souls. For now they let us in peace, but we shall have our revenge.

Under the guidance of the Elders Council, we prepare our vengeance. The Iroquois are still too strong, but their skeevy Pale Face allies, the Redcoats, have established a fur trade outpost in Nunavuk (Rupert lands & Hudson Bay). They will be the first to pay for a century of humiliations. The War Path begins!

Chapter One: Winter Raid

The Elders have decided that the Redcoats must be driven out of Nunavuk, the great hunting grounds they call Rupert Lands. Our Braves have gathered and a warband was sent before the first snows to raid them and destroy their fur trade outpost. The path is long and the Brave Hurons reach them in less than four moons.

The Redcoats have a small garrison and they're unaware of our presence. In the forest we met a Black Robe of their nation who told us of the teaching of a legendary white shaman called Jee-Zos Kra-Eest. Pale faces are so strange...

Like wolves on the hunt, our War Band approaches the Redcoat colony without being noticed. The snow and the forest are our allies and cover us. As we were hiding in the snowy forest around their colony, the Redcoats didn't see us coming. Soon, the snow will be red...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

A patrol of armed colonists were stupid enough to wander too much out of their homes. Attracted by our chieftain's horses, a gift from our Whitecoat friends, they didn't see the Braves hiding under the snow.

The screams of the battle woke up the whole colony and soon enough the Redcoats sent their soldiers to confront us. All the Braves ran to the Redcoats houses to burn them all. Death to the Invaders!

Crossing the deep forest, other Braves silently sided the Redcoat captain and his Rangers and surprised them while they were exchanging fire with our Archers. Our surprise attack made them flee in panic

Not so far, the colonist militia tries to hold our fury, but our Braves know no fear.

Our chieftain's Chosen Braves charge the militiamen who all fall under our tomahawks.

The raid has left no Redcoat invader alive. Only corpses remain behind our Braves! The crows of Nunavuk will be pleased this winter.

All their sacrilege buildings are burned to the ground, except their port. This will be useful to send canoės full of furs and pelts to the Whitecoats or other, more distant Pale Faces. May this be a lesson for all those who would try to steal from us. The Great North is ours!

We've let the redcoat Black Robe alive for our amusement. After twelve moons he will go back to his own People, on the shores of the Great Water where the Sun awakes.
    Last edited by Big Pacha; June 16, 2009 at 08:37 AM.

Default Re: [ETW AAR] Hurons on the War Path

Hurons on the War Path

Chapter Two: Naskapi

Our Braves now control the Great Frozen Bay. The Yukon Innu tribes in the Northwest have joined our Confederacy and with our support they developed a small but very active trade post. Five winters have passed since we seized Nunavuk from the Redcoats. Our main lands have developed enough so we can now think of our long waited revenge. To achieve that, we must buy more guns to the Whitecoats

the rival Innu tribes of Naskapi (called Labrador by the Pale faces), related to the Algonquins, have also established a flourishing fur trade outpost in north-east. They're closer to the Great Water and the Pale faces prefer their furs. This must stop!

Of all the tribes of the Great North, only the Naskapi Innus refused to join our Confederacy. The Elders have decided that our growing Confederacy needed these lands to achieve our goals. So they appointed a new war chief to lead a strong war band of Hurons across the great eastern Wilderness and raid the Naskapi coast. After two winters where they rallied the Micmac tribes to our cause, the Brave Hurons reached the Naskapi coast.

The Naskapi were strong and valliant, and their own army had more Braves than ours, but they didn't know how cunning Huron War chiefs can be, and we had firearms.

The battle between the coast and the forest was bloody and many Braves fell, but when the Sun went down, victory was ours.

Victory alone wasn't enough, and the proud Naskapi Innus refused to submit for many winters, and of course they rebelled. It is only after we confronted the last remnant of independent Innus that the Eastern Coast was safe.

This union of all the Northern Tribes into our Huron Confederacy had major consequences for our Nation's wealth. Now that we controlled almost all the fur trade and the access to the Great North, the Pale faces Nations on the other side of the Great Water started to look at us with more respect.

Our Whitecoat friends, who called themselves Franēois, were the first to accept a trade. After that, emissaries from distant lands came to meet us in Naskapi and Sainte-Marie, bringing us strange gifts from countries where snow was unknown. One of them, speaking for the Grand Turk, offered trade agreements we gladly accepted.

Now we had the means of taking our revenge, even if on the meantime the Redcoats had greatly helped the Iroquois scum against the powerful Cherokee Nation down the Great River Mississipi.

But an event that our Elders never saw coming happened: with all the goods brought to our lands, the Pale faces also carried some new terrible diseases that decimated our people. That brought anger and distrust towards all Pale faces. Their expansion on our lands and the growing jealousy between our Hunters and the Whitecoat Woodrunners, damaged our relationship with their colonies around the Eastern River they call Saint Laurent in their strange tongue.

Next chapter: Kanada

Photographs: Huron stuntmen from the movie Last of the Mohicans, the attack of the British column scene.
    Last edited by Big Pacha; August 12, 2009 at 08:45 AM.

Lord Gothmog's Avatar Libertus

Great AAR, keep it up. I would like to see how you do as Indians against the powers of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Gothmog View Post
    Great AAR, keep it up. I would like to see how you do as Indians against the powers of the world.
    Thanks! I'm preparing chapter 3 who's against the French in Canada. Don't have many battle screenies but that will do. I've posted one on the PICTURES HERE thread (ETW subforum).

This faction is very challenging and It's completely different from any "classic" ETW faction, on the Campaign and Battle level. Definitely not for the fast rushers + great "feeling". The VC are adapted, thanks to lmro who did the minimod and who's working on a big "Indian" mod.
    For those who'd like to try it or any others (Cherokee & Iroquois being much easier IMO) beware of some small bugs, ex: never try to build a Fort or the game crashes... cause AI Indians don't build forts! Small details, once you've identified them It's OK and very enjoyable.

Next chapter tomorrow, I'm tired of typing

EDIT: note/help request: As I write on the Hurons point of view, I try to put the Native names (mainly locations) and correct CA "errors" (ex: Inuits) but if anybody has sources or a list of Indian names for the Northeast It would save me a lot of research time.

A "Black Robe"
    Last edited by Big Pacha; June 16, 2009 at 04:29 PM.

Praepositus

awesome please continue!

Quote Originally Posted by am.az View Post
    awesome please continue!
    First I will try to load my Save. Since the 1.3 patch my game crashes on every attempt to load a previous Save.
    Another screwed job by CA.
    So, chapter 3 may be final chapter
    Thank you CA for helping me quit my TW gaming addiction.

tuore's Avatar Senator

Awww... i'm just downloading the patch (just returned from cottage) but tell me, does it really fix the ai bugs? Or is it another "We'll fix it - sometimess" patch?

Quote Originally Posted by tuore View Post
    Awww... i'm just downloading the patch (just returned from cottage) but tell me, does it really fix the ai bugs? Or is it another "We'll fix it - sometimess" patch?
    I wish I could tell you since I can't go on on ALL my Saves. Back to Ground Zero.

Anyway you're OT here. End of that discussion, please go to the ETW TEch threads

Posting (unfortunately) Final Chapter ASAP.

Damn shame, I hope you do another AAR. I enjoyed what you started here.

messiah's Avatar Semisalis

You can start a new campaign and try going the same way as this one. Sure there will be some differances, but it will be a splendid AAR continueing!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinjen View Post
    Damn shame, I hope you do another AAR. I enjoyed what you started here.
    Yep, that's CA patch 1.3. but I stopped complaining since It really fixes & improves the vanilla. Currently redoing an Ottoman and a French campaign, but we'll have to wait for modders to play "minors" again.
    Quote Originally Posted by messiah View Post
    You can start a new campaign and try going the same way as this one. Sure there will be some differances, but it will be a splendid AAR continueing!
    I'll do that when "All Factions" and "LE" mods will be adapted to 1.3 or even 1.4 (rumors about that) because TBH the "big empire" campaign don't fit for that kinda campaign AAR, too many issues;

BTW I didn't give up on that and I will deliver what's promised here, as I took screenies & notes before 1.3. release.
    Gimme the weekend to write a proper ending

As I feel a bit nostalgic I might also rework on my Rise of the Guptas AAR (from the excellent & immersive Rise Of Persia mod for good old but outdated RTW-BI)
    Last edited by Big Pacha; July 03, 2009 at 04:07 AM.

Hurons on the War Path

EDIT: cancelled after being trashed by the "critics quills". No way I will lose my time here anymore
    Unlike most of you I do have a life.

The failure.
    Last edited by Big Pacha; September 04, 2009 at 07:40 AM. Reason: AAR WRITER AT WORK :p

EDIT: cancelled after being trashed by the "critics quills".

No way I will lose my time here anymore if It's a "contest" between "writers". It thought It was just for fun...
    Unlike many hare I do have a life (that's why I can't make long stories for hours), so bye.

The "failure".

molls's Avatar Campidoctor

Hey hey not so fast there!

So what if one reviewer of the Critics Quill bashed your AAR? It's just one person, nothing more or less, and the Critics Quill is not some kind of law in here. Let them have their way and continue your own! As long as playing a campaign and writing stories is fun for you, by all means go on. You have had people reading and liking this AAR - that's what counts.

There will always be some others who dislike your AAR. Everyone of us AARtists has had this problem before...
    I will look into your AAR's review though:
    The unwritten rule in here is "Constructive Criticism only", so if this was indeed a bashing/exceeding of frontiers is was clearly wrong to publish it.

Edit: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...57#post5908857
    Last edited by molls; September 05, 2009 at 07:53 AM.

I'm also a reviewer of the critic's quill and after reading your AAR all I have to say is that Nazgull Killer might have been a little harsh on you.
    I hope you reconsider because although Nazgull may not be fond of picture heave AAR's many people are.

The review was a little to harsh and to subjective imo. Just keep writing, I liked it.
    | "I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it." |

My Workshop |The Graphics Workshop| Critic's Quill |Imperium Graecorum

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Don't give up dude. I thoroughly enjoyed this AAR. It's a welcome break from all the flowery e people try to write. I hate it when people just barge in with columns of text. Your AAR is easy to read and comprehend. In fact, it's perfect for reading when you want to procrastinate doing your work, which is exactly what I am doing right now. And I'll be ing honest with you, I'm enjoying every minute of this. son, my first AAR was bashed for the exact same reason. Look in the XGM AAR forums, Hegemony of the Balkans. And look what happened. I got third place in one of the AAR comps. Two points for me, yipppeeeeee.
    Also, please continue this. I'll cum out and say it- it's a motherfecking farce. You all know what I'm talking about. And no, feck is not a censor bypass. So don't try and report me, my loving fans. Just because you don't have friends in the CQ doesn't mean you have to stop being an AARtist. Be above them mang. And yes, this is a bash. Oho, does it feel good.
    If it's fun for you, do it. Many of us AARtists have written AARs for the hell of it, and some of us because the writing was therapeutic.
    In my opinion, those who write AARs just so they an become a local mod here and change their usertitle to something snobbishly gay, those who write them just so they can have a 10 by 10 pixels award under their avatar (because no ing way there's gonna be a badge there), those who write them so that they can get their citizenship fast, they are the ones who should stop. Not you.
    /rant
    Last edited by Legio; September 05, 2009 at 08:49 AM. Reason: SPELLING

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

We are not all literary world wonders and we try to contribute in our own writing style, i have enjoyed reading this AAR and would like to read more of it. People who start an AAR in here have a story to tell so keep telling it and don' t mind what others think of it there are always people who will like it, don' t disappoint them. We write/read these AAR for our amusement, we don' t write them to win a literary award. Keep that in mind.
    Last edited by molls; September 05, 2009 at 09:15 AM.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

You go Hazel! Mod power! Whoohooo

Seriously, don't let it get to you. That guy's noobish and it's a stupid idea to review AARs. He probably can't even write a decent one so he turns to bashing ones to make up for it.

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by zznɟ ǝɥʇ View Post
    Seriously, don't let it get to you. That guy's noobish and it's a stupid idea to review AARs. He probably can't even write a decent one so he turns to bashing ones to make up for it.
    I think that is a quite immature attitude to take. Sure, NK may not have liked your AAR, and sure he might have said so in so many words, but two wrongs here don't make a right. What we do at the Critic's Quill we do because we enjoy reading AARs, and want to pass on our thoughts to the readers and writers. If you don't like that, if you think that it is stupid, we aren't going to go crying and quit just because of that. But just as you are entitled to your opinion, so are other people.

I understand the resentment you feel, you have worked hard on your AAR, and I don't think it is as bad as NK has portrayed it. But I am not here to censor what my writers think. The CQ is made up of as many opinions as there are writers. My job is to make sure that the quality of the writing is up to scratch, make sure there are no spelling or grammatical mistakes. Sometimes I send a review back to the writer, but not all the time. Sometimes it is hard to read a review with a critical eye, it is harder than doing so to an AAR. If you feel that the review is harsh, why not answer some of the aspects that the review said was bad?

Now to go insulting my writers is another thing. Saying someone is noobish and can't write, well that is quite insulting to them, and I am pretty sure contradicts the ToS. I am not going to report this though, as I feel you should have the chance to apologise. NK is a good writer, he has his own AAR going atm, so you can read it and judge for yourself.

Finally, I apologise for any insult that you may feel NK has made in his review. As the Editor I take cheif responsibility, so your complaints should be directed at me, rather than him. Now, if that is all, issue 11 is coming out on Tuesday, so I better get to work on that, even if you do think it is stupid.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast