Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The factions at a glance, my opinions...

OfficerJohn's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: The factions at a glance, my opinions...

Quote Originally Posted by Staffen View Post
    Dude ... I just thought he had a way of using those 4-5 units to defend a pallisade settlement, which would be quite the achievement.

So I asked a simple question.

That is something entirely different from a rant.

Also, I don't understand how you interpreted my post as implying that using a bodyguard and towers would be cheating. Again, I was just curious about a potential way to defeat an entire stack with a bare minimum of units.
    Okay.

The link is that all clean activities are those who are not cheating...

Defending gondors south can be quite easy - just have 3 or 4 generals, 4 infantry and 3 archers in on the islands in the mouth of the river and have a few fairly strong navies to mash up any coastal invasions. I have never lost a coastal settlement to Harad!

The funny thing with the islands if you are using the forts mini mod is that they never attack it, not even siege it! I left it with no garrison and they had 3 full stacks (late period as well) and another full stack on invasion and they just lined up on the banks and sat there! The AI is so so stupid sometimes.....

Quote Originally Posted by Outlawstar15a2 View Post
    High Elves -
    Micromanagement heavy because all of the retraining needed. Weak start.
    Whaaat?

Elves are especially strong at the beginning of the game, were you don`t face heavy armoured arrow sponges like Olog-Hai. You can take every rebel settlement with (almost) 0 loses.

Elves can mow down full stacks with their pointy arrows.

Mythre's Avatar Jack of all trades,

Dude ... I just thought he had a way of using those 4-5 units to defend a pallisade settlement, which would be quite the achievement.
    I did do it with the second level of walls. (the wood walls +battlements.)
    A general's bodyguard certainly helps reduce the overall lose of troops.
    The Haradrim love to only attack one wall section with ladders. They rarely like to attack two at a time. Thus one militia goes on the walls, the archer militia should be placed in the best wall position available. Preferably in one that allows to shoot down towards the inside of the wall. The other two militia go to the gate. Micromanage your archers. (If you do it right i can inflict 20-30% casualties before a breach more like 40% if you have 2 archers) Once they get inside the gate, switch to fire arrows. After a minute or two of fighting at the gate with your militia, the enemy should get tired and start to route. Thus you get a cascade route: Endgame. Rinse Repeat. Now certainly a higher garrison is recommended, but that is the bare minimum you can get by with.
    A wise man in times of peace prepares for war. -Horace
    GSTK: King Geoffry Wilson III - 35

In war, numbers alone confer no advantage. Do not advance relying on sheer military power. - Sun Tzu
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -Santayana

Use elves. *gg*

And anyway, with a additionally ballista this can be easy done. Since you only got pallisades you dont have to defend your walls from climbing guys and all enemies WILL come to the gate.

Place your units right, and the ballista will mow down any intruders.

Wait ... taking out 40% of a full-stack with 2 militia archers?

Damn...

You can compare Dale to Novgorod, that is more or less how rich they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Lordinquisitor View Post
    Whaaat?

Elves are especially strong at the beginning of the game, were you don`t face heavy armoured arrow sponges like Olog-Hai. You can take every rebel settlement with (almost) 0 loses.
    I was talking about in the long run due to the fact that they have such low numbers and will lose men not from the lack of quality (as Elves are some damn good soldiers) but from the fact that they will have sustain higher then average casualties due to the fact that a arrow storm tactic doesn't really work unless you have the numbers to match which you won't as the Elves. And you will want to preserve and upgrade your units because you won't be able to pump them out like, say, Gondor...

I don`t know but imo you got enough elven units on the field. I focus my fire on one unit at the time, and repeatedly charge in with my general unit(s) and the enemie usually breaks soon. And when they break, they break hard.

Mythre's Avatar Jack of all trades,

Wait ... taking out 40% of a full-stack with 2 militia archers?

Damn...
    The Haradrim have pitiful armor. If you shoot in the right way at the right targets, they are toast.
    GSTK: King Geoffry Wilson III - 35

In war, numbers alone confer no advantage. Do not advance relying on sheer military power. - Sun Tzu
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -Santayana

That's why I like Divide and Conquer with the Dwarves... Ered Luin is it's own faction...

Necro thread closed.
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12