Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Space Marines: Living Weapon of Humanity

sephodwyrm's Avatar Praefectus

Default Space Marines: Living Weapon of Humanity

Some X-Box 360 game that's going to come out.
    As Thanatos have mentioned, I'm getting tired of this Space Marine focus.
    http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/...result;title;1

http://spacemarine.com/#/en/home/
    Official site~
    Last edited by sephodwyrm; June 12, 2009 at 03:50 PM.
    Older guy on TWC.
    Done with National Service. NOT patriotic. MORE realist. Just gimme cash.
    Dishing out cheap shots since 2006.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: Space Marines: Living Weapon of Humanity

Na, and who you want to focus, seriously??

There are only four factions in 40K universe can be focused - Eldar, Tau, Chaos and Mankind.

We all agree Eldar is gay, so that left three more factions; we all know they screw up Tau before, that left only two; for some unknown reason people find Chaos too danger for modern human, so that left only one.

But I am a Chaos follower so I demand Chaos Space Marine!!!!

But I am a Chaos follower so I demand Chaos Space Marine!!!!
    IGgies are the best.
    Older guy on TWC.

Quote Originally Posted by sephodwyrm View Post
    IGgies are the best.
    You don't want to die in opening, do you??

Not to mention a Guardman would never pass tutorial stage...

Indefinitely Banned

Actually, a Call of Duty style shooter, based on Gaunt's Ghosts novels is both a plausible and awesome way to have an IG based game.

Quote Originally Posted by Caduet View Post
    Actually, a Call of Duty style shooter, based on Gaunt's Ghosts novels is both a plausible and awesome way to have an IG based game.
    Ya, Call of Duty style...

Guardman A: "Sir, engage hostile force."

You: "Good, hostile strength??"

Guardman A: "One Chaos Space Marine, and we have ten Guardmen."

You: "Great, we must show him the wraith of Emperor!!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ten minutes later...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guardman A: "Sir!! Squad moral broke!!!"

You: "What the ?! I thought we have 10/1 advantage??"

Guardman A: "But we are poor men armed with paper armour and flashlight!!! Ahhhhh!!!"

GAME OVER

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lol, that is the reason why there must no FPS or RPG games base on Imperial Guard - you would hear people complain firing whole five clips of ammo and no single enemy die or level 99 Guardman cannot kill a level 1 Chaos Space Marine.
    Last edited by hellheaven1987; June 13, 2009 at 01:52 AM.

Space Wolves's Avatar Primicerius

Space marines are cool...dude..

put it this way...

Space Marines are the only guys that seem plausiable enough, in game terms that is, to soak up damage and what not..if you played an IG, you'd be dead in a second considering in the WH universe, they have alot of overkill weapons...LOTS....

Eldar- There just a bunch of little girls who rely on agility, and fast attack not fun.
    Tau- They had there glory, and failed miserably.
    Orks-..that'd be fun actually but meh, almost same as IG, die easily.
    Necrons-....yea...it'd be cool, but ya know..there kind of slow...really....
    Chaos- Be nice, but you know the second this comes out, its gonna get a gigantic publicity *****slap probably by alot of religious groups blah blah blah..

20,284 Officers Lost in the Line of Duty as of 2010-12 this month- 124 this year
    Red: Suspect inflicted: Blue Accident
    Officer Christopher A Wilson: End of Watch 10/27/10: San Diego PD, CA
    Lt. Jose A Cordova Montaez: End of Watch 10/26/10: Pureto Rico PD
    Cpt. George Green: End of Watch 10/26/10: Oklahoma Highway PD
    Deputy Sheriff Odelle McDuffle Jr. 10/25/10: Liberty Country SD, Texas
    Officer John Abraham: End of Watch 10/25/10: Teaneck PD New Jersey
    Sgt. Timothy Prunty: End of Watch 10/24/10: Shreveport PD. Louisiana

Fiyenyaa's Avatar Vicarius

Dunno why people are so obsessed with space marines. You could easily focus on almost any of the other factions if you wanted.
    The Tau already had a game about them, and their troops aren't exactly genetically-enhanced supermen.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiyenyaa View Post
    Dunno why people are so obsessed with space marines. You could easily focus on almost any of the other factions if you wanted.
    The Tau already had a game about them, and their troops aren't exactly genetically-enhanced supermen.
    Na nonsense, only a few factions actually have ability to create an interesting storyline.

Eldar: May be third best canadite (I don't like Eldar except their girls); but their wraith bone armour... Perhaps cannot pass mid-game...

Imperial Guard: I already point out, Guardman cannot pass tutorial stage.

Ork: Ork's problem is no storyline; how do you ask a creature that only know and care war to create some story??

Tyranid: Animal has no right to tell story.

Dark Eldar: Cut your own wrist?? Anyway I don't think anyone actually care Dark Eldar at all.

Tau: Second best canadite, but we already have one game and screw up.

Necron: Worse than Ork, they cannot even speak; and the story base on harvest living souls must be very boring.

Chaos: First canadite, someone MUST make a game base on Chaos.

Anything I miss??

Lt.Bradford's Avatar Domesticus

And said game was godawful as well.

Seriously, why do you have to whine about Marines. The idea is pretty simple actually:

1.) What does the average gamer like
    a.) Killing tons of stuff
    b.) Armored super heroes aka Space Marine style characters
    c.) Being able to do things that make you go OH ****!

2.) Now in 40k what force, is the easiest to show this style with aswell as getting the basic ideals of 40k across.
    a.) Space Marines
    b.) Chaos Space Marines
    c.) Grey Knights
    d.) Any other kind of "Marine"

3.) The Rule of Cool

4.) They are seriously, the most Iconic part of 40k. Don't give me any other crap, THEY ARE. So why not show them off?

5.) Check out almost any 40k mod for a game, including the Fallout 3 one. Guess what they are: Space Marines! Who da thunk it?

I seriously am starting to hate online forums in regards to 40k/Gaming. All I every hear is whining and complaining...

knight of virtue and valor's Avatar Praefectus
    In the nightmares of my foes (bakersfield, CALI, allright)

I agree with bradford. gamers like a:their character being extremely badd***, even to the point of impossibility, at least by today's standards b: their enemies being so numerous or deadly, or both, that they need every bit of those "adjustements" that they have in game. as far as I know, people would not like being killed by one ork or Chaos SM twenty or so times before even making a dent in its health, which would be the case if you were an IG. well, maybe if you were a vindicar assasin....well any way, gamers are ok with being killed in games, but only if it looks like the odds are...you know
    "WE WILL SMITE THE INVADERS FROM OUR SKIES! Though they sweep over our lands like the sands of winter, never again will we bow before them; never again endure their oppression; never again endure their tyranny. We will strike without warning and without mercy, fighting as one hand, one heart, one soul. We will shatter their dreams and haunt their nightmares, drenching our ancestors' graves with their blood. And as our last breath tears at their lungs; as we rise again from the ruins of our cities...they will know: Helghan belongs to the Helghast." -Scholar Visari

Shacklock's Avatar Semisalis

Oh come on, don't give me this Imperial Guard won't work !
    What about a Ghost Recon style game or something. Noone complains about tactical shooters where most the time you die if a bullet just happens to graze your arse xD

Anyway you can't tell me it wouldent be awesome to have some epic big battles with artillery going off and hundreds of lasguns and such firing whilst Imps get slaughtered en-masse in a big trench/complex/something gothicy and cool. An Imperial Guardsman can kill a Chaos Space-Marine he just has to use some inginuity
    Regardless humanity IS more often than not fighting...wait for it, other humans! One could easily create a complex storyline where a Hive-World/Industrial World/Anyting with a high population slowly succumbs to a chaos-revolt. I'd be happy if large groups of Chaos Marines were never even seen, or if they were only during the final few climatic chapters as the world goes to . You could even play a Stormtrooper or Karskin or whatever if you'd moan about playing a ranker.

Failing that, I'd be quite happy seeing a game from the POV of the Arbites Now that'd kick ass.

But, this game looks alright, just a little tired.

Edit: This IS the same game I saw another video for a few months ago I presume? Or has that all been scraped now Relic are doing it? Beacuse in that interview the guys says we're only confirming Orcs so far yet that alpha build video had a Space-Marine killing Chaos Cultists and Traitor Marines..hmmmh
    Last edited by Shacklock; June 13, 2009 at 11:15 AM.

Fiyenyaa's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Lt.Bradford View Post
    And said game was godawful as well.
    That doesn't mean that another Tau game would be bad, though, does it?

1.) What does the average gamer like
    a.) Killing tons of stuff
    b.) Armored super heroes aka Space Marine style characters
    c.) Being able to do things that make you go OH ****!
    a: don't need space marines for that.
    b: seems pretty subjective - might be quite cool, but I think that there are probably more populars games without armoured super heroes than ones with them.
    c: again, don't necessarily need space marines for that.

3.) The Rule of Cool
    Cool is a pretty subjective thing.

4.) They are seriously, the most Iconic part of 40k. Don't give me any other crap, THEY ARE. So why not show them off?
    I'll agree with you there, they are certainly the most iconic part of 40k, not to mention the best known.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be another space marine game, but it does get a bit repetitive - and I think that a talented developer could make a decent game out of almost any of the races of 40k.

Space marines are GW main army, they're the most played and the most iconic, most people have already seen them in some form or another, it's the logical step, besides that they're awesome.

I just wonder if you can get the heavy bolter, who cares about melee.

I just wonder if you can get the heavy bolter, who cares about melee.
    It's called Warhammer 40K, not Heavy Bolter 40K.
    Older guy on TWC.

Lt.Bradford's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Shacklock View Post
    Edit: This IS the same game I saw another video for a few months ago I presume? Or has that all been scraped now Relic are doing it? Beacuse in that interview the guys says we're only confirming Orcs so far yet that alpha build video had a Space-Marine killing Chaos Cultists and Traitor Marines..hmmmh
    I'm not saying Guard won't work, I'm only saying that Marines are much easier. Also, the older video was a game from a different developer. This is being made by Relic, and Tyranids are also in the game if you pay attention during the trailer.

That doesn't mean that another Tau game would be bad, though, does it?
    No, but that wasn't the point of the comment.

a: don't need space marines for that.
    b: seems pretty subjective - might be quite cool, but I think that there are probably more populars games without armoured super heroes than ones with them.
    c: again, don't necessarily need space marines for that.
    a: Yeah, but think like your a kid in the demographic. ZOMG I can haz giant chainsword and invincible armorz?

b: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...aceMarineIsYou

c: Yeah, but really again we are talking adolescents for the most part. Fancy armor, big guns, and all the other nice things Marines get make it much easier.

Cool is a pretty subjective thing.
    You are correct there.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be another space marine game, but it does get a bit repetitive
    I completely understand your point, but the constant whining about anything Marine related is also repetitive.

- and I think that a talented developer could make a decent game out of almost any of the races of 40k.
    Yes, but how many "talented" dev teams are available to do such a thing.

Also, decent is pretty subjective. I saw a post on a site that had Assassins Creed as the worst game ever.

Problem is the 40K universe is focussed on Space Marines in general. Everything else is more there to fight against them, or possibly alongside them.

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

why is this a thread when theres already one on it ?

Space Wolves's Avatar Primicerius

Because 2 threads are better then 1

20,284 Officers Lost in the Line of Duty as of 2010-12 this month- 124 this year
    Red: Suspect inflicted: Blue Accident
    Officer Christopher A Wilson: End of Watch 10/27/10: San Diego PD, CA
    Lt. Jose A Cordova Montaez: End of Watch 10/26/10: Pureto Rico PD
    Cpt. George Green: End of Watch 10/26/10: Oklahoma Highway PD
    Deputy Sheriff Odelle McDuffle Jr. 10/25/10: Liberty Country SD, Texas
    Officer John Abraham: End of Watch 10/25/10: Teaneck PD New Jersey
    Sgt. Timothy Prunty: End of Watch 10/24/10: Shreveport PD. Louisiana

There are many options that could have been taken instead of Space Marines whilst also not controlling characters with the life expectancy of a mayfly. For example:
    -Inquisitors (flamer weapons, melee weapons, psykers, whats not to like?)
    -Storm Troopers (like Space Marines but more human, going down a grav-chute would be fun)
    -Grey Knights (completely incorruptible and said to have the gene-seed of the Emperor himself, plus you get to use a halberd)
    -Sisters of Battle (perhaps not completely popular with the audience that the creators have in mind, ie: young and male, but nevertheless possibly viable)
    -Ratlings/IG sniper (could be a survival type sniper game where you are tasked to kill x and must survive on barren wasteland y)
    -Psykers (blast apart enemies with your mind - and also fall victim to the warp, perhaps not much scope here though)
    -Ogryns (would be funny but somewhat one-dimensional)
    -Baneblade commander (wrong type of game but you just know it would be cool)

And that's just for the Imperium. There is so much choice but no Space Marines again. Thats not to say I don't hope the game is good, but to say that Space Marines are the only good choice is wrong.

In addition, I do not like how the Space Marines are often depictred attacking their foes head on when they are more of a surgical strike force that swiftly destroys or cripples potential threats that emerge too quickly to organise the Imperial Guard for.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast