Thread: [ETW AAR] le Roi Soleil

johnhughthom's Avatar Vicarius

Default [ETW AAR] le Roi Soleil

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I normally play EB but I'm having severe problems getting it to work recently so decided to take a break and do something different. I haven't played much ETW, just a 20 or so year GB campaign on release that I gave up when I realised waking up in the morning was more of a challenge. France were my favourite MTW faction so I thought I would try them for my AAR. The story will go wherever gameplay takes me, I have no particular plans for this.

le Roi Soleil. A French ETW campaign tale.

Prologue
    King Louis XIV of France was in a rare introspective mood as he stared at the wine bottle on his table. Everyone knew wine improved with age, it matured well. Indeed many of his courtiers compared him to a fine wine when they wished to flatter him. When, though, did a wine turn to vinegar? Was there a particular moment perfection turned sour? Even more importantly would the wine be aware of that moment?

Hah, of course not. How could wine be aware of anything? A foolish notion. Still, it wasn't wine he was thinking of. Had his greatness passed? Was everything from now a downhill journey toward death? No!

No, he knew he was master of his own destiny. When the moment came that his power was on the wane he would know, but that moment would never come. When the moment of perfection, the moment history would remember forever, came he would know.
    Why only these past few days had seen two German powers bow down to his might, Wutternburg and Westphalia agreeing to become protectorates of the French crown. No doubt the Holy Roman Emperor would have something to say about that, let him say what he liked. The two countries had signed willingly, there had been no coercion, no threats. If the Emperor wanted a war he would have to start it, he would be the aggressor.

No, this melancholy was ill-founded, he had plenty to be positive about. He had a well run government. Loyal in every regard and more than competent. His army was in good hands, with leaders the envy of any European power.

France had dominated European politics before, she would do so again. The Sun King had not been eclipsed, not by a long shot. Europe may think him an old man, content to rot away in Paris dreaming of past glories, let them think that. His future victories would be all the more inspirational.

Vive la France!!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Is there a less laborious method for screenshots? I have been taking them with Fraps, converting to jpeg with Gimp and then uploading.
    Last edited by johnhughthom; June 12, 2009 at 03:33 PM.

Default Re: [ETW AAR] le Roi Soleil

The year 1700 was not a good one for King Louis XIV. The Dutch Republic declared war on Westphalia, forcing France to come in on the side of their protectorate. Louis sensed the Emperor's involvement here, trying to get France to attack the Dutch homeland and spark a European war. Louis refrained from doing so, he would only intervene in a defensive manner on Westphalian soil. Luckily the initial Dutch attack was beaten back without the need for French assistance.

The Mediterranean naval fleet suffered a humiliating defeat at the hands of Barbary pirates near Gibraltar. Half was destroyed, the other half fled north to join with the naval fleet of La Manche.

Other interesting news in the year involved French academic Bernard la Bouvielle de Fontanelle. He was challenged to a duel by an English professor at Cambridge University after an argument regarding Coeur de Lion's nationality (English indeed, pah, how can a man who spent 6 months in the country be claimed as their own?). The duel dissolved into farce and de Fontanelle threw his pistol at his opponent, breaking his nose. Hours later an assasin atttempted to kill the Frenchman, but failed. de Fontanelle remained at Cambridge despite this, proving the French superior courage.
    Last edited by johnhughthom; June 12, 2009 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post

Other interesting news in the year involved french academic Bernard la Bouvielle de Fontanelle. He was challenged to a duel by an English professor at Cambridge University after an argument regarding Coeur de Lion's nationality (English indeed, pah, how can a man who spent 6 months in the country be claimed as their own?). The duel dissolved into farce and de Fontanelle threw his pistol at his opponent, breaking his nose. Hours later an assasin atttempted to kill the Frenchman, but failed. de Fontanelle remained at Cambridge despite this, proving the French superior courage.
    This part alone was very interesting. The rest is also very good, keep it up!

http://ask.fm/Bigglelito <------- Ask me somethin' dagnabbit!

A new year did not bring new fortunes for France. The Americas were a source of consternation throughout the year, all news from the western hemisphere was bad for Louis. The Dutch were intent on waging war against France far from the European theatre, the African colony of French Guyana was seized by force as the French colonials fought pirate attacks against their island holdings. The Inuit tribes north of Newfoundland also proved a thorn in the New World colonisation efforts.

Europe was quiet this year, the Dutch/Westphalia conflict saw little action as both sides knew they were evenly matched. Sweden and Denmark were close to war, a war that would probably drag most of northern Europe into hostilities.

Louis would need to take action in the New World soon if France was not to be left behind by English, Spanish and Dutch settlers.

My apologies to anybody who was reading this, but I have stopped this campaign and will probably never bother with ETW again.
    I was beseiged by the Inuit in Newfoundland and fought the battle, thinking if I put my men inside the buildings the Inuit lancers would be shot to pieces. My army started the battle outside the town and the Inuit army began inside it. WTF???? Madness, I had heard this game had problems,I didn't realise it was quite this much of a shambles.

Sad to hear it.

Strange too, never seem to be bothered by all these problems that people are talking about.

http://ask.fm/Bigglelito <------- Ask me somethin' dagnabbit!