View Poll Results: which is better?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • DOW platinum edition

9 56.25%
  • DOW 2

7 43.75%

Thread: which should I get DOW platinum, DOW 2 ?

knight of virtue and valor's Avatar Praefectus
    In the nightmares of my foes (bakersfield, CALI, allright)

Default which should I get DOW platinum, DOW 2 ?

hello, I was just wondering, over all, what are the pros and cons of each?
    "WE WILL SMITE THE INVADERS FROM OUR SKIES! Though they sweep over our lands like the sands of winter, never again will we bow before them; never again endure their oppression; never again endure their tyranny. We will strike without warning and without mercy, fighting as one hand, one heart, one soul. We will shatter their dreams and haunt their nightmares, drenching our ancestors' graves with their blood. And as our last breath tears at their lungs; as we rise again from the ruins of our cities...they will know: Helghan belongs to the Helghast." -Scholar Visari

Default Re: which should I get DOW platinum, DOW 2 ?

ok...so fifty fifty so far.
    "WE WILL SMITE THE INVADERS FROM OUR SKIES! Though they sweep over our lands like the sands of winter, never again will we bow before them; never again endure their oppression; never again endure their tyranny. We will strike without warning and without mercy, fighting as one hand, one heart, one soul. We will shatter their dreams and haunt their nightmares, drenching our ancestors' graves with their blood. And as our last breath tears at their lungs; as we rise again from the ruins of our cities...they will know: Helghan belongs to the Helghast." -Scholar Visari

I'd just get both they're completely entirely different games.

Faramir D'Andunie's Avatar Domesticus

Both as good, but they are different. Plus DoW has a large number of expansions and patches, while DoW2 does not yet.

Still both are enjoyable.
    Any community that gets its laughs by pretending to be idiots will eventually be flooded by actual idiots who mistakenly believe that they are in good company.

all right, I will maybe get them both. I got the demo for both, but about DOW 2, how does the system work for factions other then space marines? a few elite squads seems far too few for orks or tyrinids.

Shacklock's Avatar Semisalis

DOW2 is a half-arsed failure in my opinion wheras I loved the old Dawn of Wars, even if they do reuse the slightly tired old system of strategies.

Well to me, the DOW 1 demo seems to have a more lasting appeal. but it had a skirmish mode on one map, but DOW 2 did not.

DOW1 is much more spammy than DOW2.
    Winter Assault just plain sucks in my opinion. Vanilla, Dark Crusade and Soulstorm campaigns are enjoyable (even though DC and SS are roughly the same).
    DOW2 on the other hand has less content, as you wold expect considering the 3 expansions for part one, but it is a lot "fresher" and polished.
    Die ist ein Kinnerhunder und zwei Mackel über und der Bitteschön ist den Wunderhaus sprechensie!
    Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Platinum edition by far. If you can look past the graphics, it offers more than twice the content, plus an impressive amount of excellent mods (whereas modding for DoW II is greatly restricted).

It also depends on your taste, of course. The first one is a rather 'classic' RTS game with a medium to large scale, while the second one relinquishes aspects like base building and focusses more on tactical combat with small battles. I think the second one has a better campaign because it incorporates roleplaying aspects, but the first one in turn has way more options for skirmish and multiplayer (most notably, it has a double-digit amount of maps ).
    "He is suffering from Politician's Logic: 'Something must be done, this is something, therefore we must do it.'"
    - Yes, Prime Minister

Shacklock's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Count Froody View Post
    Platinum edition by far. If you can look past the graphics, it offers more than twice the content, plus an impressive amount of excellent mods (whereas modding for DoW II is greatly restricted).

It also depends on your taste, of course. The first one is a rather 'classic' RTS game with a medium to large scale, while the second one relinquishes aspects like base building and focusses more on tactical combat with small battles. I think the second one has a better campaign because it incorporates roleplaying aspects, but the first one in turn has way more options for skirmish and multiplayer (most notably, it has a double-digit amount of maps ).
    Ah but whats gets me about DOW 2 is that they use the same map-style as COH and yet...COH has some amazing maps (The 4V4 ones spring to mind) and DOWs are tiny and are so clearly made as a battlefield as aposed to a place that has become a battlfield.

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

They're entirely different games.

Want the spirit of 40k? Get DoW.

Want the feel of the tabletop game? Get DoW2.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
    They're entirely different games.

I got DOW platinum. I wanted the spirit.

Silo's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post

I don't really agree with that. While I also think that DoW has more of a "40k-ish" feeling to it I think it is a misconception that DoW2 feels like the tabletop. In fact when playing, some of the DoW factions feel a lot closer to their tabletop counterparts regarding how you have to work with them than DoW2 factions. The only thing that really makes DoW2 closer to tabletop is the absence of base building and that battles seem to ensue faster.

Nikos's Avatar VENGEANCE BURNS

My favorite mod for DOW dark crusade is called "lights of the warp. 200 squad/ vehicle cap and LOADS of new units and vehicles. The Imperial guard for example get all of the major Leman Russ variants and a new Relic unit that can shoot half way across the map! I encourage everyone at TWC to give it a try.
    http://dawnofwar.filefront.com/file/...e_Warp%3B81448
    Learn about Byzantium! http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Toward-Warfare
    Civitate
    ,Ex Content Writer,Ex Curator, Ex Moderator

Proud patron of Jean=A=Luc
    In Patronicum sub Celsius